How would you match up the different DCS modules

Sylosis

I was wondering how would you match up all of the DCS modules against one another. Actually, I'm mostly refering to air-to-air stuff.

For instance, what do you think is a good match up for the Mirage? To me the Mirage feels a bit alone... not as modern as the FC3 planes, but a lot more dangerous than the F-5 or the Mig21.

And then, indeed the F-5 and Mig21 are a good matchup I think, but that's about it? Are there other modules you'd feel can go against a F-5 and or Mig21 with equal chances of winning?

I think the FC3 planes (F15, Mig29, Su27 and Su33) are on a similar level, but until the F18 comes out, there isn't a "clickable cockpit" module that is on par with them.

And as you can probably understand, I'm looking at the big picture when trying to make comparisons. I'm not only thinking about "Thrust to weight", or "Maneuvrability", but also "Armament", "Radar Capacity".... which is why, at the moment, I feel the F15, Mig29, Su27 and Su33 are at the top of the food chain in DCS.

But what do you think? Was curious to get your opinions.

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

The MiG-29 without R-77s is a great match for the Mirage 2000C. Short legs, modern radar interface and a non-obnoxious supply of missiles.

Against the F-5 and MiG-21, though from an underdog position, the L-39 and Viggen are really dangerous since they both match the F-5/MiG-21 in their strengths (manoeuvrability for the Tiger, speed for the Balalaika).

Another obvious match up is the F-86 against the MiG-15.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The MiG-29 without R-77s is a great match for the Mirage 2000C. Short legs, modern radar interface and a non-obnoxious supply of missiles.

Against the F-5 and MiG-21, though from an underdog position, the L-39 and Viggen are really dangerous since they both match the F-5/MiG-21 in their strengths (manoeuvrability for the Tiger, speed for the Balalaika).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think FC3 includes 2 variants of the Mig29, the Mig29S and the Mig29A.

I've only flown the S variant. Are you refering to the S or the A?

EDIT: Nevermind, after looking it up, it seems you were actually talking about the Mig29A, which is the non-R77 variant.

Edited by Sylosis

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

I'm talking both, if we take historical context into account. The R-77 was introduced after the fall of the Soviet Union, but the necessary modernisation of the fleet, financial challenges and constant refinements to the system meant that it only became commonplace much later. The MiG-29S, in combat against a Mirage 2000C, would have used the same R-73/R-27 combo.