Is is possible to add gradual slew acceleration to the HOTAS Warthog ministick?

Hello guys,

I have been having a terrible time using the ministick on the HOTAS Warthog due to its extreme sensitivity.

The default configuration is far too slow and I have tried fiddling with it in all possible ways: increasing deazones, lowering saturations, adding all sorts of response curves, but in the end, I always end up with a slew function that is extremely slow or ridiculously fast and I always have to resort to using the keyboard for finer TGP and Shkval adjustments, since I always overshoot the target I'm supposed to designate.

With the Blackshark and Su25T things get even worse because their sensors are even more sensitive.

What I have had to do was to ignore the ministick altogether and simply map the TGP and Shkval slew commands to the mic button.

It's amazing how much better it becomes. The precision you gain is incredible.

However, I feel stupid for such having to use such a cheap workaround after having paid so much money on this HOTAS.

The simple thing that makes the digital command so much better than the analog one is the fact that the latter has an embedded acceleration which the analog command lacks.

When you click and hold the slew command on the keyboard, it gradually accelerates, making minor adjustments very easy while allowing you to cover large terrain distances by holding the command down.

When using the microstick under the analog function, it becomes extremely sensitive and one would have to be extraordinarily gentle to achieve what the digital command allows.

I also tried using TARGET, and mapping a keypress to the ministick, but even there the sensitivity is far greater than simply configuring a button to assume the slew function.

Being able to reproduce the same acceleration function the button is submitted to would vastly improve the usability of the ministick of this expensive hotas system.

Therefore, would it be possible to add an acceleration function to the analog microstick so it could actually be of use?

Thanks a lot!!! :pilotfly:

I know you said you played around with deadzones, etc. but just for reference here is how mine are set in the Axis Commands in game.

Joy_X ............... Deadzone 5, Saturation_Y 60

Joy_Y ............... Deadzone 5, Saturation_Y 60

I find this works quite well. If it's too slow just adjust the saturation up to 70 etc...

Hope that may help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Thanks Sarge, but even with your configuration the TGP is still too fast.

After doing some more testing using the ministick set up under TARGET with the digital keys, I've found that this configuration is almost perfect. It's not as good as setting a joystick button ingame to the TGP, but it's close enough.

Problem is, I'm going to have to recreate profiles to the planes I had almost finished setting up within the game.

No problem. At least I got that sorted out.

Thanks again! :thumbup:

STAT MFD page, on the second page there's the throttle setting. There you can set slew rate. The higher the number, the slower it is. Page 264 of the manual.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

STAT MFD page, on the second page there's the throttle setting. There you can set slew rate. The higher the number, the slower it is. Page 264 of the manual.

I had tried that too, DayGlow.

Thanks.

It helps a little with the the A-10C, but the other aircrafts are left in the dark. The solution I found was to create a TARGET profile for all of them. I'm half way through, tough. Not as bad as I thought it would be. :)

I know you said you played around with deadzones, etc. but just for reference here is how mine are set in the Axis Commands in game.

Joy_X ............... Deadzone 5, Saturation_Y 60

Joy_Y ............... Deadzone 5, Saturation_Y 60

I find this works quite well. If it's too slow just adjust the saturation up to 70 etc...

Hope that may help.

I haven't tried this out for A-10C yet, but I use 50% saturation _Y and it works great for FC3 F-15 and DCS BS. I need to add a small deadzone, I'll try 5% also.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

The default settings for the Warthog, in the Plug-n-Play lua, are...

Deadzone = 30

X Saturation = 100

Y Saturation = 15

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The default settings for the Warthog, in the Plug-n-Play lua, are...

Deadzone = 30

X Saturation = 100

Y Saturation = 15

Indeed these are the default values, but I find them very slow especially because the 15 points of saturation is max speed you will ever get and when you use the digital command you actually get a very nice acceleration which helps immensely when panning around the battlefield with the TGP or Shkval. :)

• 5 years later...

And since it's alive, ALIVE!, I might as well as add that in the Thurstmaster subthread of this forum, there is a the "yet another Warthog slew upgrade" thread. You can find an awesome replacement of the built-in mini-stick.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1