LGB is crossed out as soon as I set fuze

sirrah

Got back into the Hornet after flying the Huey for the past few weeks.

Thought I'd give this user made campaign a go. I'm only at mission 2, but so far I'm enjoying it :thumbup:

Though at mission 2 I had the following issue:

warning, possible spoiler ahead.

When I got to the target area and went through all JTAC instructions, I noticed that my GBU12's (as well as my MAVF's) where crossed out (sorry, don't know the correct term) in the HUD and on the stores page. I didn't do anything different than before, at least not that I know of, and normally I don't have any problems releasing bombs.

Here's what I did (note that I didn't actually do all of it in the order stated below, but I did go through all steps):

Contacted JTAC and went though all instructions (including receiving the "now lasing" message from JTAC)

Activated A/G mode

Selected GBU12 (as ordered by JTAC)

Set the laser code to 1688

Set the GBU12 to CCIP, NOSE and INST

Master arm to "armed"

At the point where I was ready to release my LGB I noticed that it is crossed out in both the HUD and on top of the stores page and therefor not able to be released.

While searching what I was doing wrong, I noticed that changing the fuze to "OFF", removed the cross-out. With fuze set to off I was able to drop my bombs (but then of course they won't actually do their magic :P). As soon as I set the fuze to any of the options, it got crossed out again.

Anyone have any idea what I could have done wrong, or maybe forget?

I did save the track, but unfortunately, with 26mb, it is to large to attach (limited to 5mb)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Paveways apparently don't have a mechanical fuze, so MFUZE should be off, as Knives has already said.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

MFUZE should be set to Off. And EFUZE to INST.

Oh really?

I'm pretty sure I've always set MFUZE to "nose" (also for LGB's) and I never had this issue before.

Then again I have not flown the 18 for a few weeks, so things may have changed.

One question though, in my mission I did release one GBU12 when I'd set MFUZE to off and I did see it leave from its pylon. But I wasn't able to use F6 view on it, nor did I see any explosion. Are you really sure MFUZE should be set to "off" in this case?

Edit:

My reply crossed with Quigon's confirmation.

I'll try again with MFUZE to off. Thanks for the replies

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Oh really?

I'm pretty sure I've always set MFUZE to "nose" (also for LGB's) and I never had this issue before.

One question though, in my mission I did release one GBU12 when I'd set MFUZE to off and I did see it leave from its pylon. But I wasn't able to use F6 view on it, nor did I see any explosion. Are you really sure MFUZE should be set to "off" in this case?

Edit:

Just FYI: I suspect something has changed in this code recently. There was another thread talking about how bombs without an EFUZ now require EFUZ=OFF when we used to just set them to INST. So it is entirely possible this has changed since you last flew.

Oh really?

Edit:

MFUZE did have to be set to ON in earlier versions indeed. ED changed this with an update a few months ago.

The reason why you can't view your bomb in the F6 view is that either your personal or the mission specific difficulty settings don't allow this view. You can check and change your personal difficulty settings in the DCS settings and the mission specific difficulty settings in the mission editor.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just flew the mission again and this time, with MFUZ off, it all worked out like it should :thumbup:

About the F6 view issue.. I think I was just too late with pressing F6 (it's a pita finding keys in VR :P )

System specs:

Might just be the way the SMS is designed in the aircraft's computer. I would guess it's easier to have the option there for all bombs rather than coding in exclusions.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

As a designer of user interfaces and back end systems... providing an option for a user that breaks the functionality of the product will result in users immediately selecting that option and breaking the entire program, plagues of frogs, and women turning into pillars of salt as they flee the carnage, dogs and cats living in harmony, it's chaos out there... and fighter pilots are no exception to this rule... this is why i suspect that depending on the weapon type, the appropriate fuze options should be displayed or not displayed, instead of all of them... but I could be wrong. I don't make weapons software :)

• 1 year later...

I stumbled on this thread today, but turned out to have different problem. I was going for a CCIP drop and couldn't get the bomb active. Turned out I had to enter a laser code to activate it. I'm guessing this is a bug as there is no point in entering a code in this case and it doesn't matter what I enter. I'll leave this here in case someone runs into the same problem (e.g. mission 1 of Operation Pontus).

5 hours ago, adams83 said:

I stumbled on this thread today, but turned out to have different problem. I was going for a CCIP drop and couldn't get the bomb active. Turned out I had to enter a laser code to activate it. I'm guessing this is a bug as there is no point in entering a code in this case and it doesn't matter what I enter. I'll leave this here in case someone runs into the same problem (e.g. mission 1 of Operation Pontus).

I use CCIP drops with laser guided bombs pretty frequently.  If you can't or aren't lasing for yourself, and you have the general target area in sight, it's the easiest way to make the drop.  As far as I know, LGBs can't be dropped with no code entered, as a failsafe against both wasting your bomb, and having it guide on the wrong laser. 

EDIT:  actually I'm pretty sure you can - or at least,  could - drop them without a code entered; dunno what I was thinking.  I guess I meant not without the CODE message flashing in the HUD.  I know I've wasted bombs because I didn't set a code and didn't notice the CODE message haha.  If they've made a change that the bomb won't come off the rack without a code, I welcome that.  Pilot-proofing is my friend.  😁

Edited by Stearmandriver