VR Test Discussion

RogueSqdn

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't see any performance increase in VR too. And I literally tried everything since considering the fault could probably be on my side. Yes, I am aware of rebuilding shaders, config file etc, using process lasso pro or not..

Still remember NineLine's "Just an update to the update" post 6-5-2019 "the team is aware and will be working to move this optimization to 2.5.5 as soon as possible" in the OB-announcement. To this day I only read contrasting stuff about this, but nothing official like "we finally moved the VR-optimization correctly to latest OB, have fun!".. or so.

Anyway, I would really like to know what's the status.

Win10 Pro, Intel i9 9700k @5GHz, GeForce RTX 2080 TI, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 @3200MHz RAM, MSI z390 Gaming Plus, HP Reverb Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD Base, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (for DCS), Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (for Win10), Philips PHL 274E

I do not understand how it is not clear to members on the forum yet. It has been officially stated that ED has rolled out the optimisation in the OB, without the desired results for its users. I.e.: It has been rolled out. Whoever says otherwise is incorrect. Hence this thread and the VR Test Results thread.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI B360M Bazooka | CPU i7 8700k @ 3.2 GHz | RAM 2x8GB GDDR4 @ 2400 MHz | GPU Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan | 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: MSI Optix 24" LED Curved | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: A-10C | F-14 | F/A-18C | Spitfire | P-51D

So the VR Optimization has been released with DCS 2.5.5.31917 Open Beta (not mentioned in the changelog, or was I blind again??) Anyway, thank you guys for pointing that fakts out! Seems that I forgot Wags' initial post asking for the results.

Sigh*.. Still waiting for the optimization to take affect on my rig.

Win10 Pro, Intel i9 9700k @5GHz, GeForce RTX 2080 TI, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 @3200MHz RAM, MSI z390 Gaming Plus, HP Reverb Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD Base, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (for DCS), Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (for Win10), Philips PHL 274E

Roger that...guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Looking forward to further improvements.

Interesting, but why did you not post your findings on the official request thread?

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I do not understand how it is not clear...

The reason it is not clear is because it has not been communicated properly. A change of this significance should be communicated by

• the change log
  • the weekly update e-mail published every Friday

To my knowledge, the only official mention has been in the VR test post by Matt Wagner:

Hey everyone,

In the Open Beta before last, we fielded the VR optimization; however, we have been getting very inconsistent results internally after building version 2.5.5. Some are seeing significant improvement; others are seeing a reduction in VR performance. We are seeing the same results with clients over the past week or so.

This was sent out weeks after the optimisation was supposedly included. This is not the way a commercial organisation should conduct itself, and I'm not surprised some of its customers are left scratching their heads, wondering what's going on.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Although I agree it could have been communicate better, and certainly when it was ordinally released, but the facts are 1) it has been released to OB (if not stable at this point), 2) it did not have the impact they were hoping for, and the impact was sporadic, and 3) they aske d us top test to try and figure out why it didn't work like they thought it would.

Only thing I am doing now is waiting, watch, and hoping.

o7

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

What difference does it make whether it was communicated in the change log or not? It was communicated here with a thread specifically designated for the testing results of it which itself proves it has been rolled out, so you’ve had the headline you were waiting for. Surely that’s gotta be more clear than another post in an already long thread? And if people read the thread, it explicitly asks for users to test the OB vs the stable version and post their results which in itself confirms they’re expecting to see effects of a rollout which means it must have been rolled out. Further, it’s been more than one post in various threads stating (in one way or another) the change has been rolled out. I agree that if you’re expecting the normal comms procedure to announce this as well, then it was not properly communicated, but who cares! The important thing is it was communicated, not how it was communicated. It seems to have become a thing on this forum to instantaneously criticise ED for anything, rather than to just accept things are the way they are, stop whining about it and be patient and understanding. Even when they are communicating, it is a massive problem cause "they’re not saying it right"... If people need to be spoonfed, a forum is not the place to expect that. We need to seriously look ourselves in the mirror and stop complaining, and rather help where we can in the ways we can. Pull the rope in the same direction as ED, rather than pulling it from the opposite end and make it harder for them. There’s constructive behaviour, and there’s destructive behaviour. You preach about corporations all the god damn time, so you should know how those two behaviours impact a corporation; don’t contribute to the destructive force.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI B360M Bazooka | CPU i7 8700k @ 3.2 GHz | RAM 2x8GB GDDR4 @ 2400 MHz | GPU Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan | 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: MSI Optix 24" LED Curved | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: A-10C | F-14 | F/A-18C | Spitfire | P-51D

Although I agree it could have been communicate better, and certainly when it was ordinally released, but the facts are 1) it has been released to OB (if not stable at this point)

Yes, it’s in Stable. It’s gone way past the build that had the VR improvements included.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

This was sent out weeks after the optimisation was supposedly included. This is not the way a commercial organisation should conduct itself, and I'm not surprised some of its customers are left scratching their heads, wondering what's going on.

not telling everyone first, is actually one of the BEST to get good unbiased data.

the placebo effect is strong in these forums.

Gotta agree here. And when there was a guant silence on performance did they say it was in but something had gone awry.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

They where not sure if it was in or not themselves.

We were told for ages that it was not ready, then it would be out soon & in the next update, then that update gets released but they say it is not in that update. Many saw an improvement even non vr and we are told this was because of the new trees.

Then we are told it was actually released in the one before that one.

So they either blatantly lied to us or just screwed up.

I'm hoping its the later but without an explanation i don't know.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

it’s just like the moon landing,

we will never know for sure.

Nah we just send Buzz in to kick ass and take names ;)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

it’s just like the moon landing,

we will never know for sure.

Even the Russians confirmed it by triangulation. What more can you ask for :D

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

not telling everyone first, is actually one of the BEST to get good unbiased data.

the placebo effect is strong in these forums.

^^^ This is so true.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I know ED has lots of projects in progress, but I wonder what the current status is of VR optimization?

I reviewed the results of the VR test thread, and like me, the results appear to be null (no difference between OB and stable).

Would love to hear an update from someone who knows. Abandoned project? Still in progress?

Oops started with wrong quote.

Edited by AKA_Clutter

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

Even the Russians confirmed it by triangulation. What more can you ask for :D

They were in on it also. :)

----------------

AKA_Clutter

i’m quite sure it has not been abandoned.

performance is an ongoing priority for every sim. you can never get enough and it can never be too fast.

That's very true, but I guess he is referring to the promised 50% VR improvement specifically.

It will be very interesting to hear if ED got anything useful from the reported results.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It doesn´t make much sense to nail ED down to the post Wags once made about 50% performance increase in VR.

First I think this statement was made euphorically on a personal level here in the forums, not as an argument to promote the sales. Taking this statement and reframe it as a "promise" is the usual selfish reaction, like a child wants something so hard. So let´s see things realistically.

Secondly everyone who is a bit into VR and especially with DCS in VR knows, that there are many, many factors influencing the perfromance in VR and there not two similar systems and settings.

Finally I observed an improvement in performance and visuals with the related patch, surely not in the area of 50%, but it has become better, not worse.

Now, as the community blowed the whole thing massively up, it´s hard for ED to get out of the affair. The sad thing is, that this a great community and great developers, but the misinterpretation of the community, that there was something promised now leads to some distance between the developers and communities, which might show in a reduced communication between developers and the community, what is a sad thing.

Just want to say, don´t take a happily made statement by a developer as a promise - I think we all agree, that the developers works on constant improvements for DCS in every aspect.

And stay realistic and not like the selfish shitstormes in the internet.

@imacken, I know you´re not one of these, so please don´t take it as a reply to your previous post, but as my comment on the situation in general.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

^^^

I agree. I too seem to have a bit of improvement... but I upgraded my card to to a 970 to a 2080 as well about that time, and didn't have any benchmark numbers or a good sense of my performance right about the time that patch dropped. I didn't move the vid card at the same time... but after the performance patch was "released" and before I swapped my card I did indeed feel like something had been optimized a bit.

That said...

Yeah it's a bit unrealistic to think that a full 50% improvement was coming anyway... no matter what anyone from ED said. No offense to them... I'm sure it seemed that way at the time... but I think there actually IS a bit of responsibility on the user base to take fairly bold claims with a bit of salt at first and have a "wait and see" approach. Anyone trying to rake someone at ED over the coals based on this issue has "personal problems" :).

We've generally seen a bit of improvement and we know ED are working on more. If they do indeed make a "breakthrough" then I'm all for that :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

If it isn't going to happen it's fine DCS didn't get worse its still great, i'll find other ways to reduce load, maybe upgrade my system & hopefully performance may improve via vulkan if/when it comes.

But i would rather know a bit more whether they have been unsuccessful or its still a possibility.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//