Weapons not working with cold start

Did you switch the fuses to on? There are 9 Blocks overhead. The 3 on the left side must be switched also.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

@abbod31

You need to complete the weapons training mission for the Mi-8, it's available under the "Training" section (DCS main menu).

Here's a tutorial with pics:

1- Switch to intercom to be able to contact ground crew (for refueling and rearming):

r7p5lGi.jpg

2- Turn all the weapon related switches on:

JWxCMrN.jpg

3- Set the weapon safe switch to the "arm" position (the red lamp will light up when you do)... the switch is located on the upper left corner of the cockpit, behind the pilot:

6xDcxPJ.jpg

4- Turn the main weapon switch on:

P1BFakE.jpg

From this point on, steps vary slightly, depending on the chosen weapon pod types.

Let's assume loadout 1 ( Rocket launcher + GUV MG combo + GUV grenade launcher):

XbjiVNu.jpg

In order to activate the GUV pods, we need to do the following:

5.1- Set the payload profile selector knob to the GUV position (right side of the cockpit):

ErrLXNa.jpg

5.2- Go to the lower weapons control panel and select the specific GUV weapons that we want to fire (using the GUV fire selector switch).

5.2.1- 12.7mm MGs (GUV fire selector to the down left position):

kNzwCh5.jpg

12.7mm tracers are green:

jgWP7fV.jpg

5.2.2- 7.62mm MGs (GUV fire selector to the down right position):

AiJ51tu.jpg

7.62mm tracers are red:

Z7Zwrng.jpg

5.2.3- Grenade launchers (GUV fire selector to the up position):

wl8a4yG.jpg

That's it for the GUV pods

For the rocket launchers, we need to do the following:

5.3.1- Set the payload profile selector knob (right side of the cockpit) to the I position:

ufrUu8b.jpg

5.3.2- Set the weapon selector switch to the PC (RS) position:

igWBqAd.jpg

5.3.3- Push and hold down the arm button for a second or two (upper armament control panel):

KlnzLD1.jpg

When you do that, a couple of lights will turn on, indicating that the rocket launcher pods are armed:

J8jECll.jpg

That's it for loadout 1.

Now let's assume loadout 2 (we replace the GUV MG combo for the 23mm autocannon pod):

4syjwir.jpg

6.1- In order to select the UPK-23-250 autocannon pods, we need to set the weapon selector switch to the UPK position (up):

WCqNJ8g.jpg

6.2- I don't know if arming is required... just in case, repeat step 5.3.3:

KlnzLD1.jpg

EDIT: I don't think it's required

6.3- Set the payload profile selector knob (right side of the cockpit) to the I position, as you did for the rocket launchers:

ufrUu8b.jpg

That's it

Regarding bombs, I've never tried them on a chopper and I never will, since I don't have a deathwish :D

Edited by Hardcard

@abbod31

You need to complete the weapons training mission for the Mi-8, it's available under the "Training" section (DCS main menu).

Here's a tutorial with pics:

[...]

Wow! That's quite a good tutorial - I like the use of images to point out controls. Just a few small remarks:

In step 4, the left switch you've highlighted (главный выключатель минного вооружения) is for controlling the mine dispensing systems, so it's unnecessary to use in the sim as of now. In step 5.1, that switch doesn't need to be in any particular position to use the ГУВ pods, though it does indeed need to be set to РС (which I assume stands for Ракетная Система or something) to fire rockets. The ПУС (Прибор Управления Стрельбой) arming button highlighted in step 5.2 is only used to prepare the ПУС to fire rockets in the correct sequence, so it only needs to be pressed when using the С-8 or С-5 rockets. Lastly, you can verify the ГУВ or УПК pods are ready to fire by checking that the red lights just above their ammo counter drums are illuminated.

Anyway, yeah; there's a lot of little "gotchas" and unintuitive steps involved with the Mi-8's weapons systems and if I tried to list them for all the different configurations I'd just end up mostly repeating the manual. Come to think of it, a flowchart would probably be a more useful format rather than a linear checklist.

Ah, bombs.

otvaga2004_mi8_35.jpg

If only...

@NOALB

Thanks a lot for the input, tutorial corrected! :thumbup:

PS: Does the mine dispensing switch (главный выключатель минного вооружения) need to be activated in order to jettison pods? I seem to recall it was needed for something (that's why I always turned it on).

Perhaps it's just me remembering things wrong.

Edited by Hardcard

@NOALB

Thanks a lot for the input, tutorial corrected! :thumbup:

PS: Does the mine dispensing switch (главный выключатель минного вооружения) need to be activated in order to jettison pods? I seem to recall it was needed for something (that's why I always turned it on).

Perhaps it's just me remembering things wrong.

Looks good now!

That switch doesn't need to be on for anything (unless mines are added), though you do need to ensure that the weapon/payload selection rotary isn't set to ГУВ, or nothing will jettison. A nice little "undocumented feature" of the bomb system is that it can be used to "trick" the weapons system to perform selective jettison of stores, which can be useful if you've expended all your ammo from a rocket or gun pod (though it's not realistic to do so of course): first set the payload selector to a position in which the store you want to jettison would be considered a bomb (e.g. II, all bombs). Arm the master arm and the bomb release with the ГЛАВНЫЙ ВЫКЛЮЧ БВ switch on the right panel, then use the ЭСБР box below the copilot's instrument panel to carry out the normal bomb release procedure.