Need upgrade advice please

Hello

I want to install DCS but do not have enough disk space. I'm only showing 52 GB free space on the hard drive. My plan is to buy a 1 terabyte m.2 board and install Windows and DCS and any other Games and programs on it. and use my existing ssd drive for files, pictures and the like.

Will that work? Or do any of you have a better idea on how I should proceed?

How much disk space can the average person use up on this game? I see a lot of modules that I will probably end up with before it's all said and done lol.

Any suggestions on what M.2 board to get will be help full also. My mobo has 2 spots for M.2 boards. One that supports PCIE 3.0 X 4 and SATA modes One is PCIE 3.0 X 4 only. Do I want PCIE or SATA?

Thank's for your input

Ozark

My current PC specs are

Motherboard: ROG Maximus X Hero, Intel 1151 socket for the 8th gen CPU's.

CPU: Intel® Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.7GHz

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2X8 GB DDR4 3600MZ

Video Card: EVGA Geforce 1080 GTX Hybrid 8GB

Hard Drive: Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1 250GB SSD

Currently , the largest DCS installation i have read of is 160gb . That's all maps , aircraft modules and prolly a few campaigns thrown in .

Were i adding another ssd (as i have) , i would leave the operating system alone , unless you have a compelling reason (and a retail version ?) To do so .

One such is that the pcie cards have faster boot and loading times compared to sata . No difference in gameplay , however .

And welcome to the forums !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Hello

I want to install DCS but do not have enough disk space. I'm only showing 52 GB free space on the hard drive. My plan is to buy a 1 terabyte m.2 board and install Windows and DCS and any other Games and programs on it. and use my existing ssd drive for files, pictures and the like.

Will that work? Or do any of you have a better idea on how I should proceed?

How much disk space can the average person use up on this game? I see a lot of modules that I will probably end up with before it's all said and done lol.

Any suggestions on what M.2 board to get will be help full also. My mobo has 2 spots for M.2 boards. One that supports PCIE 3.0 X 4 and SATA modes One is PCIE 3.0 X 4 only. Do I want PCIE or SATA?

Thank's for your input

Ozark

My current PC specs are

Motherboard: ROG Maximus X Hero, Intel 1151 socket for the 8th gen CPU's.

CPU: Intel® Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.7GHz

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2X8 GB DDR4 3600MZ

Video Card: EVGA Geforce 1080 GTX Hybrid 8GB

Hard Drive: Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1 250GB SSD

Hello Ozark.

You sound oddly familiar but I don't know why. Back to the question...

DCS World will take up maybe 30GB. Each terrain will take up maybe 25GB and each module will take 5GB. For best performance, all needs to be on a SSD. As for the rest, who on here gives a rats ass about family pics and the like.

That's out of our perview.

Put your intimate pics on a separate storage drive via a drag n drop process or a copy all. But from your system specs, you did not buy that from your local market and you know the answer already.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

You definitely want a PCIe x4 version in M2 form factor.

M2 alone only stands for the form factor, the deviding criterea here is PCIe x4 vs. SATA.

Do NOT buy a M2-SATA drive, that is a waste of ressources.

Prices are free falling for SSD's of either kind, there are some real good ones around for a great price. Samsung, Adata and Corsair drives are the top brands. Check reviews.

Right now, I would buy an Adata XPG SX8200 Pro or Samsung 970 Evo Plus, whatever comes cheaper. Both are at the VERY top of performance, the Adata needs a bit less power and thus runs cooler.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for the reply's.

So what i'm getting from this is, just leave windows 10 on the ssd I already have.

Is it ok to install a m.2 type drive and run DCS from it? Or is it better to have DCS on the same drive as the operating system?

Thank's

Ozark

There is no difference in performance regarding whether DCS is on the same drive as the OS or not .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

There is no difference in performance regarding whether DCS is on the same drive as the OS or not .

yes SSD's can do multiple reads/writes concurrently without loosing speed.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

If you have the choice, keep them separate, it can only serve you good doing it that way.

For example:

You reinstall Windows and want to format the Sys-drive

Your Windows installs updates while you play

Other Apps like AV install larger updates automatically

The biggest advantage that will always be present is that you can leave your SWAPFILE on the C-drive. That way Offloading/Reloading won't interfere with DCS in any way.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

So i conclusion, what I get out of this thread thread is, that going with the 1 TB M.2 board is the best route. leaving windows on my existing SSD drive and install DCS on the new M.2 board.

Thanks everyone

Ozark

I can guarantee you that either having DCS on the M2 SSD where windows is installed or on another SSD it makes aboslutely ZERO difference both in terms of fps/stutters/ etc etc.

I have 2 instances of DCS : 1 on my main Nvme M2 SSD samsung 970evo (where win10 is installed) and 2 on my other SSD sata3 samsug 850evo (where I have my steam folders and other games) , they BOTH peform EQUALY.

Tried pagefile set to 32gb on nvme ssd and also tried "automaticall manged by OS" and again DCS perfom in same way.

The only difference is : DCS is loaded 2-3 seconds fastest on the NVME, apart from this I can assure you that SATA SSD and NMVE makes 0 difference in terms of fps.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I picked up the Corsair MP510 1.9TB nvme for $260 on Amazon. It's very close to the Evo 970s in performance per reviews but substantially cheaper. The 1TB should be even less expensive.

3800X, X570, 32GB 3600, RTX 2080Ti, SSD, Odyssey+ VR

I can guarantee you that either having DCS on the M2 SSD where windows is installed or on another SSD it makes aboslutely ZERO difference both in terms of fps/stutters/ etc etc.

I have 2 instances of DCS : 1 on my main Nvme M2 SSD samsung 970evo (where win10 is installed) and 2 on my other SSD sata3 samsug 850evo (where I have my steam folders and other games) , they BOTH peform EQUALY.

Tried pagefile set to 32gb on nvme ssd and also tried "automaticall manged by OS" and again DCS perfom in same way.

The only difference is : DCS is loaded 2-3 seconds fastest on the NVME, apart from this I can assure you that SATA SSD and NMVE makes 0 difference in terms of fps.

Yup, zero difference.

See: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3740017&postcount=17

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

well mate , I am glade this time we nboth agree on this topic ;):D

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black