Viviane IR camera not working

jonsky7

Currently I can't get the IR camera to work, just a blank screen with the overlay showing at night. Pretty sure I've used it correctly. I have it switched to on (top right switch), camera on (top left switch), TV on (switch on TV)

Screenshots below, can reproduce every time.

DCS beta 2.5.2.18736

Windows 10

GTX1080

32GB Ram

i7 4700k

settings.thumb.jpg.b9b1ee69ae5d154b626be7b3a8de903d.jpg

iroffday.thumb.jpg.9c0e3bc9e64e75af6fa7fc6cacbca10d.jpg

ironday.thumb.jpg.cfcbe5dd37233578bd65ef2337f99674.jpg

iroffnight.thumb.jpg.8ddc03c558a44f42f69b703da2f89c38.jpg

ironnight.thumb.jpg.22567187a5a6e96eb69c94a22fec6c5f.jpg

Maybe this is your problem:

The camera thermal vision needs 3 minutes to cool down at start.

Until this time you can use the VDO and control the camera, but the VTH will not be available, or at least not with its best quality.

from DCS SA342M Flight manual_en.pdf - Page 31

Yup - your 5th image looks exactly like the pre-cooldown Viviane in IR mode. However you should find that the image clears up after 3 minutes.

As well as the manual that birkenmoped draws your attention to I'd highly recommend you take a look at Chuck's Guides if you haven't already. They're fantastic, and the Gazelle guide was a great help to me after I'd bought the module.

Enjoy flying the Gazelle and be careful or she'll kill you.

Nope, sat there for ten minutes with it all on, still get a completely grey or black screen depending on white hot/black hot. I've had it working before, there's been a few updates since I was last in the gazelle.

Tried MSAA off, 2x, 4x, with restarts of DCS between

2 different maps

I'm guessing yours is working as it should?

Yup. I just hopped onto the 104th and fired up a Gazelle:

No sound, but you can see me clicking between TV and IR and you'll see the IR gradually improve as it cools down.

Perhaps you could do a repair? Disable any mods first if you have any.

Yup. I just hopped onto the 104th and fired up a Gazelle:

No sound, but you can see me clicking between TV and IR and you'll see the IR gradually improve as it cools down.

Perhaps you could do a repair? Disable any mods first if you have any.

Thanks, but have you tried it at night? I get an image during the day as the screenshots above show, but it isn't a Thermal one. At night the screen starts off white and then fades to almost complete black (I can see specks of lights from airfields and cars) as the camera does its cool down.

I discovered it on the 104th, but it was night-time on the server earlier. Flew from the FARP to AO and noticed nothing was glowing in the thermal image

Just deleted my SA342 folder and did a DCS repair, didn't fix it.

Turned off the english cockpit mod.

Set my displays to single.

I've included my little test mission, just on the ramp at batumi with a line of tanks that should show up.

Appreciate the help :thumbup:

gaztest2.miz

Edited by jonsky7

IIRC I had the same issue at night with deferred shading, the only fix was to disable it (an option since removed). I always assumed it was related to the night lighting issues in DCS 2.5.x

I haven't tested recently but it's one of the reasons my Gazelle remains grounded for night ops. and the night time campaign missions are unflyable.

There was a time when the Vivian stopped working during the day and that has been fixed, however AFAIK night operation is still broken ?

Night time FLIR is working for the A-10C and AV-8B but for the Gazelle, the day time camera gave better visibility than the IR at night, lol

At night the screen starts off white and then fades to almost complete black (I can see specks of lights from airfields and cars) as the camera does its cool down.

Yeah, that sounds like how it was last time I tested. Your night time IR shot, looks like the IR is still cooling down (so a little misleading) but your bug report is sound.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Night time FLIR is working for the A-10C and AV-8B but for the Gazelle, the day time camera gave better visibility than the IR at night, lol

Yep, that's what I'm seeing.

Yeah, that sounds like how it was last time I tested. Your night time IR shot, looks like the IR is still cooling down (so a little misleading) but your bug report is sound.

I can see how that was misleading, but it does look like that in one of the modes when cooled down.

Cooldown and White/Black Hot mode switching

Shows lighting in IR Mode

Edited by jonsky7

• 4 weeks later...

I didn’t notice that when I tried it yesterday, did you let the camera do it’s cool down period, got any screenshots?

I’m also using the Open beta version, release version might not have the fix applied yet

I didn’t notice that when I tried it yesterday, did you let the camera do it’s cool down period, got any screenshots?

I’m also using the Open beta version, release version might not have the fix applied yet

Open Beta and yes cool down period.

I wouldn't consider it fixed per say.

While the IR filter could be improved, it's usable at night now and a big improvement.

attachment.php?attachmentid=190191&d=1531933622

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Working better but not OK yet. Finding a vehicle at 4 kilometers is way too hard. See attached screens (middle on is in flight HOT).

PS : fxo and metashader2 folders deleted after last update.

Screen_180723_195118.thumb.png.10f7d8c4197bd3a2d75ec1254b316811.png

Screen_180723_195139.thumb.png.3d3fcb46d4d403d2e0ec2f9791a350b2.png

Screen_180723_195318.thumb.png.9c5be7aadfc3a7307c078f955ca2f30d.png

Edited by Zarma

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

• 2 months later...