F-14B Cockpit _continued_ - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #31
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven43291 View Post
I can’t say if it was used since that was after my time on Tomcats (I was an AT, got out in 95), but the F-14A TID was certainly capable. One of our favorite time killers was playing with the TCS in the back seat, tracking people walking around the line and whatnot. The RIO was the primary user of the TCS.
There are some TCS shots on the TID in this video and though the video is of poor quality, the screen does seem quite capable as you said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhuOPJ5pWsU

Then I guess the main problem would be converting the digital bus output from the LTS pod into the analogue video signal compatible with the TID screen. The question is whether this was done in 1995 or they used the PTID screens straight up?
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #32
Gypsy31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
Then I guess the main problem would be converting the digital bus output from the LTS pod into the analogue video signal compatible with the TID screen. The question is whether this was done in 1995 or they used the PTID screens straight up?
From everything I've read, the F-14B did not receive a digital bus until Operation Flight Program 317 (OFP317) was delivered to the fleet in 1997. Included in the OFP317 upgrade was the PTID. It appears they converted the digital signal to analogue from the time the tests started to incorporate the LANTIRN with the F-14 in 1995 until the upgrade of OFP317 in 1997.
Gypsy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #33
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy31 View Post
From everything I've read, the F-14B did not receive a digital bus until Operation Flight Program 317 (OFP317) was delivered to the fleet in 1997. Included in the OFP317 upgrade was the PTID. It appears they converted the digital signal to analogue from the time the tests started to incorporate the LANTIRN with the F-14 in 1995 until the upgrade of OFP317 in 1997.
Yeah, hence why I said if the TID screen was really used for the initial LTS pod test, they most probably needed some D/A video converter or what not.

The other option might have been to use a PTID screen in a non-integrated mode (i.e. not integrated with the digital bus and updated software), but just by connecting the LTS pod to it directly. In that case, the tactical display output would need some conversion as well (which I presume outputs an analogue video signal to TID), but for those tests it might have not been necessary as only the LTS functionality might have needed testing.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #34
CheckGear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjmac View Post
From what I have read, yes, the targets were lased by Hornets.

K, that's what I figured.
CheckGear is offline   Reply With Quote