GTX 2080 Ti's and VR Max - Page 18 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 03:48 AM   #171
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureliusAugustus View Post
Please, please do not make a purchasing decision based upon a possible SLI patch (actually, it is more like a series of hacks). It could indeed work and it could also not be stable enough for us to release to the general community.

And yes, you are correct, I am mucking about with the Oculus SDK and fooling with Nvidia SLI profiles. Getting Oculus to see two graphics cards is only part of the problem since DCSW does not support SLI and there is no SLI profile from Nvidia for the sim.

Oh, I totally get you. Worst case is that I sell the card or gift it to a friend of mine. I am interested in hearing your progress. Please keep us informed.

I suspect next year or the year after, ED may have a working version of Vulkan API for DCS. That too should alleviate the CPU bottleneck. It is funny, though that early computers were all about direct access, then APIs became the rage, and we're going back to direct access.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:38 AM   #172
AureliusAugustus

Quote:
Possible good news, .... by fooling with the Oculus SDK, I may have found a way to get about a 30% increase in performance and about a 9% increase in decreased screen door effect. More on this work shortly,.........
I am going to quote myself here but I just discovered that what I have been dabbling with has already to a degree been done:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373

My work is a little bit more focused on optimization and with decreasing the screen door effect, but the above mod should be a significant help to many VR users. Still testing my own modifications and will have more info shortly I hope.....

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift/Vive Pro

Flying online as "Aurelius" in IL2 1946, IL BOS, ROF and DCSW
AureliusAugustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:22 AM   #173
DigitalEngine

Quote:
I am going to quote myself here but I just discovered that what I have been dabbling with has already to a degree been done:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373

My work is a little bit more focused on optimization and with decreasing the screen door effect, but the above mod should be a significant help to many VR users. Still testing my own modifications and will have more info shortly I hope.....
This is a great mod, and helps with frame rates notably on my system.
But it does have some undesirable effects with some of it's features.

I asked for, but never got a response, if Kegetys, or someone else could do a "Lite Shaders Mod" version (like in a Bud Lite beer, not a light bulb).
Such as maybe only the rendering masking and MSAA masking functions.
Or a mod broken down into separate pieces so we could apply features as desired.
Two main anomalies I don't care for, which is the reason for not using it mostly, are the discoloration of the grassy areas with what looks like the night time shaders, and the removals of the canopy reflections and crazing.

Also, I requested, but again no responses, if,
instead of having circular masking for the "Emulation of the OpenVR hidden area mesh", and the MSAA masking, would it be possible to make them rectangular?
The reason for asking for rectangular maskings, is when using Jabbers methods of video recordings, and mine, which are in a 16:9 format, (recorded from the center of the VR monitor mirror), the upper and lower "hidden areas" are not used in the VR HMD anyway.
GPU = Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme
Hard-drive = Samsung V-NAD SSD 950 PRO M.2
Cooling = Corsair H100i V2 water cooler, plus RAM mounted fans.

Corsair Vengeance® C70 Mid-Tower Gaming Case — Military Green
OS = Windows 10 64bit
Power supply = EVGA 1200P2
HTC Vive
DigitalEngines's Twitch Channel, Youtube Channel

Last edited by DigitalEngine; 10-16-2018 at 05:40 AM.
DigitalEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #174
Hippo

Quote:
Now I must mention that the in-game FPS counter (LCtrl + Pause) only goes up to 90 FPS (as it did with the 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti) but FRAPS is showing more than 90 frames per second with these cards, even though the Oculus Rift can run no faster than 90 FPS. Why is this? I have no idea, but have begun to look into it.
Hopefully you will find out more and be able to explain this, as I have been wondering about it myself.

Following a recent update, if the Rift is not worn (sensor not activated) the display does not update on the monitor. Also, previous to the same update, if the sensor was not activated at all (i.e. start a mission without ever putting HMD on) it was possible for the in-game counter to go > 90 fps. This was very useful as a measurement of the system working at full load. Or so I believe - my guess is that the system was doing all the 3D work but only displaying (combining) on the monitor.

I only tried Fraps today, however I cannot get it to go over 90 fps at all, as you describe, even if I turn ASW off (Oculus Tray Tool). I am on the latest OpenBeta.

All of the above is for in-cockpit only, in the menu screens it functions as before and I can see frame rates well over 90 fps.

Just (technically) interested in what might have been changed recently, and what the fps number over 90 actually represents.

I notice a number of comments recommending turning off MSAA; whilst I understand this for testing purposes, in my view the visuals are so poor without AA, that it is not an option for me for actually playing the game. Any benchmarks that include 2x and 4x I find to be very useful.

BTW, thank you very much for this thread and all of your efforts.
System spec: Intel i7 8700K (3.7 / 4.7 GHz), Asus Prime Z370-A, MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8GB (1556 / 1746 MHz), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600 3200 MHz, Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 840 + 850 EVO 250 GB SSD (500 GB RAID 0 games drive), AOC U3477PQU Monitor, Oculus Rift CV1, Saitek X52 Pro

Last edited by Hippo; 10-17-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote