AIM-54 maddog with Jester?

splash

Hi, is there any way to launch an AIM-54 in active mode without using RIO's MSL OPTIONS (PH ACT)? Could I get this behaviour by using BRSIT in pilot ACM panel?

Thanks.

Yes, BRST will do this for you (and for all missiles, I think also aim9), or alternatively you can flip open the ACM cover. This will set them to brst as well and you can maddog on anything within a 5° radius around the missile's datum line, which is close to the cross in your hud. so basically point and shoot within 10nm.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 3 years later...

Hello,

Well I must be doing something wrong, because either with:

- ACM switch flipped-up or;

- BRST mode slected, the AIM-54 doesn't track its target... even with me getting the ADL always centered on target;

- selecting PH active with RIO, doesn't help either.

( The AIM-7 works perfectly though. )

Any suggestions ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

55 minutes ago, Top Jockey said:

Hello,

Well I must be doing something wrong, because either with:

- ACM switch flipped-up or;

- BRST mode slected, the AIM-54 doesn't track its target... even with me getting the ADL always centered on target;

- selecting PH active with RIO, doesn't help either.

( The AIM-7 works perfectly though. )

Any suggestions ?

We have this complaint even in the test team quite a lot, and so far it always turned out that it wasn't within the 5° needed for it to track. It is a very narrow angle for sure.

If I try myself, it works. Try with labels on, just to be sure. and ofc, you need to aim the +, not the flight path indicator.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

We have this complaint even in the test team quite a lot, and so far it always turned out that it wasn't within the 5° needed for it to track. It is a very narrow angle for sure.

If I try myself, it works. Try with labels on, just to be sure. and ofc, you need to aim the +, not the flight path indicator.

Hello again @IronMike,

I was experimenting until I eventually find the correct procedure, with much more rate of success :

Reference to correctly point the AIM-54 in ACM / Boresight / Maddog mode :

- the "Aircraft Reticle" or "Pitch Indicator", symbol ( w ) in the HUD

Not exactly the the ADL ( + ); this was my mistake, and why the target was outside the missile's FOV.

Neither the flight path indicator - you mean that one which only appears in Landing mode (velocity vector) ?

Reference to correctly point the AIM-7 in ACM / Boresight / Maddog mode :

- the ADL ( + )

edit

Regarding the AIM-54 aiming reference it does make sense (to me), as the missile is carried with a pitch-down angle in the Tomcat, when compared with the AIM-9 and AIM-7.

What is your and the team opinion on this ?

Edited by Top Jockey
  • Thanks 1

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

5 hours ago, Top Jockey said:

Hello again @IronMike,

I was experimenting until I eventually find the correct procedure, with much more rate of success :

Not exactly the the ADL ( + ); this was my mistake, and why the target was outside the missile's FOV.

Neither the flight path indicator - you mean that one which only appears in Landing mode (velocity vector) ?

- the ADL ( + )

edit

Regarding the AIM-54 aiming reference it does make sense (to me), as the missile is carried with a pitch-down angle in the Tomcat, when compared with the AIM-9 and AIM-7.

Ah yeah, you are right, I was fast answering and not thinking/ re-reading. aim54 along the ADL of the aim54, and aim7 along aircraft ADL, my apologies.

Heatblur Simulations

On 10/10/2022 at 10:30 PM, Top Jockey said:

Hello again @IronMike,

- the ADL ( + )

edit

The correct boresight for all missiles is the ADL.

As for were to aim, that depends. My experience is that the AIM-54 as modelled need more lead than other missiles due to being a bit slow of the rail and until it starts to guide. Using the aircraft wings as a reference might be good enough for many situations as in many cases that we'll make you lead the target slightly. But it depends greatly on the situation, you need to imagine where to point to have the missile actually see the target when it starts to guide.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Naquaii said:

The correct boresight for all missiles is the ADL.

As for were to aim, that depends. My experience is that the AIM-54 as modelled need more lead than other missiles due to being a bit slow of the rail and until it starts to guide. Using the aircraft wings as a reference might be good enough for many situations as in many cases that we'll make you lead the target slightly. But it depends greatly on the situation, you need to imagine where to point to have the missile actually see the target when it starts to guide.

Thank you, @Naquaii,

Some aspects I've noticed (may not be 100 % correct all of them):

- aiming the AIM-54 with the ADL ( + ) for the "Boresight shot", causes the missile to fail tracking more than 90 % of the times for me;

(I suppose it is because in that situation the missile will be looking at too low an angle regarding the target.)

- indeed I'm having more succes with the: pitch indicator / aircraft wings / waterline symbol " W " ;

- like you said, it also comes a bit slow of the rail, it also does fall a bit (compared to an AIM-9 launch) which doesn't help;

- if like mentioned above, the AIM-54's FOV cone really is 5º ... that might be the main difficulty to aiming correctly.

So far I've only managed to hit straight line flying targets, like a Tu-160, and sometimes it really seems the missile never was correctly pointed at the target.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

I've hit a few maneuvering fighters with Phoenix active off the rail.  To be honest, I did not think they would hit because they flew a straight line path and as mentioned before, they were slow.   But then to my surprise, they turned hard to lead the target and boom.  I fired 2 because I thought the first one was messed up, and they both hit!

Best $3 million I ever spent!

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103
  • Like 2

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rosly said:

@IronMike In real life does F-14 has any sensing switch under ACM cover or this is just DCSism? (Mean flipping the ACM cover is same as boresight switch just for convenience in DCS)

It’s an actual switch IRL as well. It’s not the same as the BRSIT switch but it can set the BRSIT under certain conditions.

Edited by Naquaii
  • Like 1