EE Lightning: Why we need it!

Hummingbird

Enlighten me, what exactly was it good at besides being fast?

it could turn too.

an interceptor is a very specific role it requires speed climb rate and not alot else, the lightning was in service in 1959 and when they tested everything nato had in the mid 80s! including the teen fighters and 104s mirages etc, the lightning creamed everything in every single test bar 1 which was a dead heat (supersonic acceleration on the deck which the 104 matched).

it was also the only thing to sucsesfully intercept concorde from the rear and also the only thing to intercept a u2, it did it by DIVING on the u2 from 88,000 feet!.

it was a MONSTER kinetically which was exactly what it was designed to be.

was it a good fighter? debatable due to shite range and dated avionics, certainly not a patch on the f15.

was it a good interceptor? the best!

the pilots also thought it would be a good dogfighter, (i guess use it as an energy fighter?) it was also apparantly very nice to fly

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's normal max g limitation in ordinary flight was 6g but it had enough excess thrust to sustain 8g manoeuvres at low level, above 36,000ft it ran out of thrust at slightly over 4g

It wasn't just an isolated incident in intercepting the U2, it was part of a series of exercises to test the ability and write the doctrine for high altitude interceptions.

The guys that actually flew the aircraft do say that the earlier Lightnings with the smaller tail got quite squirrelly at high altitude and that even tho they could exceed M2 they were limited to M1.7

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

It's normal max g limitation in ordinary flight was 6g but it had enough excess thrust to sustain 8g manoeuvres at low level, above 36,000ft it ran out of thrust at slightly over 4g

It wasn't just an isolated incident in intercepting the U2, it was part of a series of exercises to test the ability and write the doctrine for high altitude interceptions.

The guys that actually flew the aircraft do say that the earlier Lightnings with the smaller tail got quite squirrelly at high altitude and that even tho they could exceed M2 they were limited to M1.7

yeh the early (mk1) had a smaller vert stab and were limited.

theres a story about a guy who got disorientated at full reheat in a cloud. when he came out of the cloud at warp 9 he realised he was pointing straight at the ground,

the resultant significant emotional event caused him to yank the stick for all it was worth bending the airframe but flew home safely, the g needle was bent off the scale and they reckon he pulled something like 13gs lol

ps sustained 8g turn in 1960 is ridiculous lol

skip to 5:30 on this and tell me with a straight face the lightning couldnt turn

I bet he was popular with the ground crew, if you over-G'd a Lightning they had to take both the engines out :D

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

I bet he was popular with the ground crew, if you over-G'd a Lightning they had to take both the engines out :D

1 he wasnt dead

2 he broke the main wing spar haha, it sat for years and apparantly they welded a bar across it and sold it to the saudis eventually. story goes it never quite flew straight lol

I bet that top engine was not fun to work on, can’t imagine loosing a screw inside....

from what i read working on ANYTHING was hard work lol it was all so cramped

Turn rate, roll rate, speed, climb rate...

Probably better in all but roll rate compared with the MiG-21Bis which we have ingame.

So the EE Lightning definitely has a place in this sim.

In the normal flight regime the controls were limited in deflection as you could over g the airframe much too easily, only when the flaps and undercarriage were down the full control movement was accessible this was especially true about the ailerons and the aircraft's roll rate.

In all flight regimes the controls are light and responsive except for the rudder pedals which needed a good bit of force, at extremes it could take up to 200lbs (90kg) force to give full deflection of the rudder, once the flaps and undercarriage were down an augmentation system lightened the pedal force to assist in low speed manoeuvring.

Clan Cameron

As long as you had a tanker waiting for you at angels 30

:megalol:

Just like the Tomcat... if you take her off with the cans lit, she's almost dry before raising the gears up. 16klb of fuel, longer legs than the Hornet? Well, that lasts for about three minutes as opposed to 10-30 minutes for the Hornet dealwithit.png

I mean who wants to learn how to deliver a low level pop up attack with only a depressed gunsight or CCIP when they can just punch a few buttons and spam a JSOW from 70nm ?

Anyone who wants damage to be dealt on a hit... rdlaugh.png

“Only brits would put guns in a fuel tank”

To which I say, only Americans would put nukes and IRSTs in fuel tanks!

Well the French put a rocket pod "in" a fuel tank... icon_redface.gif

Used by the Sauds with their F.53... rainbowdashwink.png

LightningWeapons-1.jpg

By the way, the 2" Microcell rockets initially were designed for taking out bombers. But having those for A/G is some nice thing, since they won't dirty up the airframe like pods. I'd go for some A/G sorties no matter if it was built for that or not, since she'd be pretty capable of getting in and out of the Danger Zone.

And I'd really prefer HB bringing this to us, since they always try to bring not just an airframe, but a whole environment. I'd expect them to implement a proper GCI which other 3rd parties probably wouldn't do. With that, flying the EEL would be a wholly new experience (if you didn't stumble across JetPilot in the very last AMIGA days).

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

That over wing pylon had a piston to eject the store, it was made so that you could put a 1000lb bomb on it and drop it, that is for the F53, for the F6 with the overwing tank on, it was only cleared for jettisoning in straight and level flight, the RAF never used the Lightning in a ground attack role, it was only the export versions that had the A/G capability.

BAC also proposed fitting the Lightning with AIM9 sidewinder missiles on the under wing pylon but again the RAF did not want to spend the money on developing that.

Clan Cameron

flying the EEL would be a wholly new experience (if you didn't stumble across JetPilot in the very last AMIGA days).

*Ahem* - there was a 2008 "sim-lite" that I'd break a forum rule by mentioning ( I checked and it's still for sale... although it hasn't had any development for about a decade )

That featured the Lightning...

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

*Ahem* - there was a 2008 "sim-lite" that I'd break a forum rule by mentioning ( I checked and it's still for sale... although it hasn't had any development for about a decade )

As well as for those well known civilian simulators, there is just a F6 model available, the sim lite one also features the F53 with it's A/G weapons, but it is very sim lite!

Clan Cameron

I have that sim in all instances and run it every now and then still. That's also where I got my Tomcat hours before we got the HB module... but it totally lacks proper GCI guidance, just like DCS :)

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I think a lightning would be very popular. It would even fit on the Persian Gulf map considering Saudi use them, and RAF deployments to Oman in the 1970's were possible.

I also think a Hawker Hunter would have a lot going for it. Recce, Fighter, maritime strike, ground attack.....

Well, we can dream cant we?

This is such a bizarre aircraft. Overwing pylons, vertically mounted twin engines, ugly as hell.

It's strangely intriguing, but for non-Brits I think it's more of a curiosity than a legendary aircraft. I wouldn't mind seeing it in DCS, but I wouldn't say we "need" it.

The only thing we really "need" is modern eastern aircraft.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Well that is never going to happen. We may as well hope for something that is achievable than something that isnt. ED isnt going to upset the Russian Government, and I respect that choice. The newest we are going to get is the Mig23.

As I see it, the whole DCS concept is mean to fill out periods in aviation history. And the lightning certainly did fill out is lifetime, even if it was only with 2 different airforces. That didnt stop anyone building an F14 I guess.

Well that is never going to happen. We may as well hope for something that is achievable than something that isnt. ED isnt going to upset the Russian Government, and I respect that choice. The newest we are going to get is the Mig23.

As I see it, the whole DCS concept is mean to fill out periods in aviation history. And the lightning certainly did fill out is lifetime, even if it was only with 2 different airforces. That didnt stop anyone building an F14 I guess.

3 different Airforces, The RAF, the Royal Saudi Airforce, and the Kuwaiti Airforce.

The RAF used them in Malta, Cyprus and Singapore.

The Saudis used them successfully in the Yemen in the ground attack role.

Although never credited with an official 'kill' the Lightning did shoot down one aircraft when it was called upon to deal with a Harrier which unintentionally continued to head for the East German border after the pilot had ejected following apparent engine failure.

From BAE's web site @ https://www.baesystems.com/en-uk/heritage/english-electric-lightning#

Clan Cameron

This is such a bizarre aircraft. Overwing pylons, vertically mounted twin engines, ugly as hell.

It's strangely intriguing, but for non-Brits I think it's more of a curiosity than a legendary aircraft. I wouldn't mind seeing it in DCS, but I wouldn't say we "need" it.

The only thing we really "need" is modern eastern aircraft.

Im Danish and I flippin love the thing! :pilotfly:

Also considering we have aircraft such as the Viggen (1 airforce), I believe the EE Lightning is just as justified a module to make, esp. since it was Britains first line of defence against the east for several decades.

I knew the fan boys of the worst cold war production fighter would come out of the wood work..

if youre gonna attempt to troll at least learn to read, it wasnt a fighter it was an iinterceptor

3 different Airforces, The RAF, the Royal Saudi Airforce, and the Kuwaiti Airforce.

The RAF used them in Malta, Cyprus and Singapore.

The Saudis used them successfully in the Yemen in the ground attack role.

From BAE's web site @ https://www.baesystems.com/en-uk/heritage/english-electric-lightning#

Oh yeah, quite right. I forgot Kuwait also used them.

No, im sold, you dont need to convince me.:D