HOW TO: Enable Motion Reprojection for WMR

DerekSpeare

• 4 weeks later...

I’m trying to find a way of locking the Reverb at 45 FPS. Is that possible? I just bought it a couple of days ago, and I’m seriously considering returning it, because of the stutters. My frame rates bounce between 90 and 45. I have the Rift S, and that thing is smooth with an ocasional stutter every now and then. Frames are constant at 40. The Reverb leaves me with a light headache every time! Hasn’t failed at that yet!

Bones

I’m trying to find a way of locking the Reverb at 45 FPS. Is that possible? I just bought it a couple of days ago, and I’m seriously considering returning it, because of the stutters. My frame rates bounce between 90 and 45. I have the Rift S, and that thing is smooth with an ocasional stutter every now and then. Frames are constant at 40. The Reverb leaves me with a light headache every time! Hasn’t failed at that yet!

You can by editing the default.vrsetting file like this:

"driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {

// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation

// motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection

// auto = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate

"motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

• 1 month later...
Here is my short guide for WMR users showing them how to enable Steam's Motion Reprojection. Motion reprojection is not enabled by default (at this time of writing) in SteamVR. Here's what you need to do so it is operational:

1 - You will need to access your //steamlibrary/steamapps/common/MixedRealityVRDriver/resources/settings folder and edit the file named "default.vrsetting" - Make a backup if necessary. I recommend using Notepad++ to edit the file and you can get that here: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

2 - Remove the "//" from the lines indicating motionreprojectionmode and motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled

Here is what the code looks like once the edits have been made (emphasis added):

{
   "driver_Holographic" : {
       "renderTargetScale" : 1.0
   },
   "driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {
       // Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation 
       //     motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
       //     auto         = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate
      [b] "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",[/b]

// Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected
       //     green      = off because application can render at full framerate
       //     light blue = on because application is cpu bound
       //     dark blue  = on because application is gpu bound
       //     red        = off because application running at less than half framerate
       [b]"motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true,[/b]

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,
       // disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.
       "thumbstickControlsEnabled" : false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial turn/move, false = default application thumbstick behavior
       "thumbstickControlsReversed" : false,
       "thumbstickTurnSmooth" : false,
       "thumbstickDeadzone" : 0.25
   },
   "NoInterEyeRotation" : {
       "DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true
   }
}

3 - Close that file and save your changes and that's it.

NB: You will see a small square in the upper left hand part of your headset. When it is green you are getting 90fps. If it is light blue motion reprojection is active and you are CPU limited. If the square is dark blue motion reprojection is active and you are GPU limited.

Good luck and good flying! :pilotfly::smartass::thumbup:

Just trying to setup my reverb version2 and I seem to have 2 versions of

the default.vrsettings file one that has a type of "vrsettings file" and the other has a type of .txt which one should I delete?

also is it better to have "motionreprojection" as auto or motion vector? and

in the WMR menu is it best to setting the hz as 60 or 90?

default.vrsetting

Use 90hz

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if this has changed with latest beta version? I am following Thud’s instructions to setup my new Reverb but am a bit stuck with enabling Reprojection in SteamVR. I have beta version enabled as per instructions, and have also removed the \\ but ‘Reprojection on’ isn’t appearing in the settings page as illustrated. In fact I have nothing listed in the left pane below the word ‘Developer’ like in the guide. I have SteamVR version 1.9.16 and would be very grateful if anyone has advice.

Thanks

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

Nothing changed regarding enabling motion repro.

If you want to have some visible feedback inside DCS, just enable the indicator:

"motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true

This shows four small squares near the top left corner (default) and gives feedback that motion repro is active and if so whether it's CPU or GPU related.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

Nothing changed regarding enabling motion repro.

If you want to have some visible feedback inside DCS, just enable the indicator:

"motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true

This shows four small squares near the top left corner (default) and gives feedback that motion repro is active and if so whether it's CPU or GPU related.

For me the indicator is visible when I have set motion reprojection to "auto". When I set motion reprojection to "motiovector" the indicator doesn't show up anymore. I have the "motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" line just as it was before, set to "true". The only thing I changed is setting from

"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

to

and that makes the indicator disappear. So don't know if it is working or not.

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

For the people who do not care about some artifacts when looking around quickly.

I mostly fly jets and monitor systems anyway...

I fly with 30FPS, i've set WMR at 60Hz in the windows options and forced motionvector on.

This way i can increase my graphics settings and be stutter free!

Stutters for me are the worst in VR. And flying in 30FPS aint that bad at all, no more stutters!

Also works for X-plane ;)

For me the indicator is visible when I have set motion reprojection to "auto". When I set motion reprojection to "motiovector" the indicator doesn't show up anymore. I have the "motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" line just as it was before, set to "true". The only thing I changed is setting from

"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

to

and that makes the indicator disappear. So don't know if it is working or not.

If you activate "moctionvector" it does not show the indicator since reproyectionmode is ALWAYS active.

If you activate "moctionvector" it does not show the indicator since reproyectionmode is ALWAYS active.

Thanks, that makes sense :)

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

• 1 month later...

Has the "Enable Motion Reprojection for WMR" been activated in SteamVR as of now? IS that the same as in SteamVR SETTINGS "Render resolution - AUTO" ?

Also, what is "Advanced SuperSample Filtering" in SteamVR and how does that affect my WMR headset?

Thx

Edited by Dhorse

Has the "Enable Motion Reprojection for WMR" been activated in SteamVR as of now? IS that the same as in SteamVR SETTINGS "Render resolution - AUTO" ?
No & No

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

• 2 months later...
ED is working on native WMR support. So in the future DCS VR will work on WMR directly without steamVR.

In about two weeks. :music_whistling:

Has it been implemented by now? Messing with my HP Reverb.

Thanks.

Within steam vr and in game you can turn on and off WMR Re projection, its much better compared to the past way of editing a text file.:thumbup:

I'm on HP REVERB. How would you turn on/off WMR Reprojection within steam? In Manage Video Settings for: there's only one option for Reprojection that says Use Legacy Reprojection Mode (Off by default).

Thanks.

Im running steam vr beta and Wmr app Beta and you turn on or off the motion vector via the steam vr ui in game or at your home environment in steam vr. You dont need to mess with the files anymore as per the devs.:thumbup:

while in game push the left or right thumbstick on you controller and you will see the settings.:thumbup:

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S