HOW TO: Enable Motion Reprojection for WMR

DerekSpeare

Here is my short guide for WMR users showing them how to enable Steam's Motion Reprojection. Motion reprojection is not enabled by default (at this time of writing) in SteamVR. Here's what you need to do so it is operational:

1 - You will need to access your //steamlibrary/steamapps/common/MixedRealityVRDriver/resources/settings folder and edit the file named "default.vrsetting" - Make a backup if necessary. I recommend using Notepad++ to edit the file and you can get that here: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

2 - Remove the "//" from the lines indicating motionreprojectionmode and motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled

Here is what the code looks like once the edits have been made (emphasis added):

{
   "driver_Holographic" : {
       "renderTargetScale" : 1.0
   },
   "driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {
       // Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation 
       //     motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
       //     auto         = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate
      [b] "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",[/b]

// Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected
       //     green      = off because application can render at full framerate
       //     light blue = on because application is cpu bound
       //     dark blue  = on because application is gpu bound
       //     red        = off because application running at less than half framerate
       [b]"motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true,[/b]

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,
       // disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.
       "thumbstickControlsEnabled" : false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial turn/move, false = default application thumbstick behavior
       "thumbstickControlsReversed" : false,
       "thumbstickTurnSmooth" : false,
       "thumbstickDeadzone" : 0.25
   },
   "NoInterEyeRotation" : {
       "DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true
   }
}

3 - Close that file and save your changes and that's it.

NB: You will see a small square in the upper left hand part of your headset. When it is green you are getting 90fps. If it is light blue motion reprojection is active and you are CPU limited. If the square is dark blue motion reprojection is active and you are GPU limited.

Good luck and good flying! :pilotfly::smartass::thumbup:

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

It interpolates every other frames so as to not TAX the GPU. So essentially, it's guessing what the next frame will look like, giving it time to deal with the next real frame. That's the short version. It can leave artifacts but makes the VR experience more smooth.

Some love Rift's version of it, and others don't.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yep, it's that 3820...I'm running the Lenovo off a 980ti/3820 and it's light blue. I'd guess you'll find the same thing :/

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Yep, it's that 3820...I'm running the Lenovo off a 980ti/3820 and it's light blue. I'd guess you'll find the same thing :/

What kind of frames are you getting with that combo ? I'm leaning towards a Rift come March , but the Lenovo is also a contender , particularly as ED seems to have reduced the Rift sweetspot as part of their VR optimisations in the latest open beta .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Holy Crap!!!! Does that ever make a difference.

Little bit of shuddering close to the ground but for the viability, who cares.

Dam!!!

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Here's what I have:

Rift System: 5930k + 980ti = ~45fps with moderate graphics and free flying

Lenovo WMR System: 3820 + 980ti = <45fps but mostly playable for free flying

DK2 System: 2500k + 780 = ?? listed for posterity's sake...

DCS is a crippler. Both systems are not enough. I prefer the Rift slightly. It has a much better sweet spot but the Lenovo is good and WMR is really cool...like no hassle and just works. It's very slightly better than the Rift for SDE. I have not tested the WMR system in a couple of weeks. However, it's at DSD and for VR sim racing demos mostly and in that department it does really well.

The modifications in SteamVR to enable Motion Reprojection do make a big difference, especially for demanding games like DCS.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

What kind of frames are you getting with that combo ? I'm leaning towards a Rift come March , but the Lenovo is also a contender , particularly as ED seems to have reduced the Rift sweetspot as part of their VR optimisations in the latest open beta .

in the hornet i hover around 30-40 in my own MP server with a couple friends. I go on the 107th or something and im down to like 20-30. Any other jet, im at 45 fps, so hornet is more taxing.

BTW, my indicator was red when in game ? Need to try it with the F5 today since, I can get 45 FPS with it.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Here's what I have:

DCS is a crippler. Both systems are not enough. I prefer the Rift slightly. It has a much better sweet spot but the Lenovo is good and WMR is really cool...like no hassle and just works. It's very slightly better than the Rift for SDE. I have not tested the WMR system in a couple of weeks. However, it's at DSD and for VR sim racing demos mostly and in that department it does really well.

The modifications in SteamVR to enable Motion Reprojection do make a big difference, especially for demanding games like DCS.

so, it is my CPU then?

EDIT: Something to note, my CPU usage is around 50% on all cores during usage. GPU is around 70+ but never pegs at 100%?

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Here's what I have:

Thanks for the answer ! Guess i'll stay with the Rift , as the lower resolution will help with performance on my modest rig . Much as i have my current setup set to not break Vsync , i'll want the VR to not break 45fps . I do have a back-up plan to upgrade the CPU to a 7700k if needed , and i still have my 1.58 installation as a fall-back as well - though i'd hate to lose my beloved Hornet :)

@StrikeEagle , thanks for your answer as well !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 2 months later...

Hey man thanks so much for this, my frames on the ground now hover in the high 30s low 40s as opposed to dropping into the 20s before. Few questions tho. Sometimes I see a "red" square, does this mean motion projecting is not active? It will change from red to blue mid mission as well. Also, I have seen where both light and dark blue are on at same time, this means limited on both cpu and GPU?

System specs as follows. I5 6600k @4.4ghz, 32 gigs ddr4 3000mhz ram, Asus Strix 1080ti clocked 2000mhz core, dcs is installed to a samsung ssd. Thanks for the help in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

With WMR for steam and steam beta installed it appears I do not have the /MixedRealityVRDriver/ folder.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Nvm

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Just got a Reverb and I am entering the world of WMR for the first time. Seems oddly old fashioned to be editing config files rather than toggling it in the main steam VR settings. Do you WMR guys see this as a feature that will be more integrated into Steam VR in the future? How is the WMR system in terms of support and development? I've only had Oculus before and their software support has generally been good. Does Valve/Steam support VR better than Microsoft?

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Just got a Reverb and I am entering the world of WMR for the first time. Seems oddly old fashioned to be editing config files rather than toggling it in the main steam VR settings. Do you WMR guys see this as a feature that will be more integrated into Steam VR in the future? How is the WMR system in terms of support and development? I've only had Oculus before and their software support has generally been good. Does Valve/Steam support VR better than Microsoft?

ED is working on native WMR support. So in the future DCS VR will work on WMR directly without steamVR.

In about two weeks. :music_whistling:

I am confused,

is this Motion Reprojection mod for the Rift also, or not?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I am confused,

is this Motion Reprojection mod for the Rift also, or not?

NO But I think Rift uses ASW that is similar to MR

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Nah MR is simalar to ASW :)

Whoa there. According to steam VR, I have reprojection on, but I have not been round the back to alter any files. So is steam lying to me? Do you still have to do this inserting a file business even now?

It could explain a lot if so. I reckon I am seeing low to mid 20s when taxying on the ground and looking out the side of the cockpit at right angles. Also getting a lot of terrain blurring when turning on the taxyways.

This is important to me because a big part of my mission is the cold start and Taxy to the runway.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

• 2 months later...
I'm confused on if I should use auto or motionvector ?

I rubbed out auto and replaced it with "motionvector". Butter smooth now, even in PG, an heavily object populated AlDhafra airbase and taxying in the F14.

Happy days.

To be clear.. strike out the // on the bottom line as detailed earlier, then delete the "auto" part and replace it with "motionvector", save the change and you are good to go.

This enables reprojection permanently on and is by far the best setting to use I find.

New updates have and probably will change the line back to the default setting again, so if you suddenly have jitters again after an update, this is your first port of call.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Is this applicable to the index?
No, that uses motion smoothing, set in SteamVR video settings

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat