Flight Model: Is this possible?

wilbur81

Many of you have probably seen this Finnish Hornet demo on YouTube:

That negative G push-over at 0:43 is impressive! Anyone pulled that off in our DCS Hornet? If so, what was your IAS at the moment of forward stick?

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

By the way, the "Swiss" Hornet is Finnish. ;)

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

That negative G push-over at 0:43 is impressive! Anyone pulled that off in our DCS Hornet? If so, what was your IAS?

Yes. Just tried and the maximum negative G load I can achieve is at ~330kias. Climbing with a pitch attitude of around 60deg and pushing the nose to level flight results in a close to -3G push over with a similar pitch rate.

Edited by bbrz
edited after doing a few tests

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Yes. Just tried and the maximum negative G load I can achieve is at ~330kias. Climbing with a pitch attitude of around 60deg and pushing the nose to level flight results in a close to -3G push over with a similar pitch rate.

Sheesh... at 330 kts? That seems pretty fast to get that kind of negative pitch...doesn't look that fast in the video; I'd think that kind of nose rate at that speed would make the pilot's eyes explode!

Sounds painful.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Most aerobatic planes are designed to at least +10/-10G (the MXS to +14/-14G) and -6Gs aren't unusual during an aerobatic sequence. That's really painful.

True for an extra 300, but the Hornet doesn't do those negative g numbers, if I understand correctly.

Many of you have probably seen this Finnish Hornet demo on YouTube:

That negative G push-over at 0:43 is impressive! Anyone pulled that off in our DCS Hornet? If so, what was your IAS at the moment of forward stick?

That is just lowering the nose prior to a pull up and then something else, it is not negative g.:smilewink:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

That is just lowering the nose prior to a pull up and then something else, it is not negative g.:smilewink:

Nonsense. That pushover at 0:43 would absolutely be producing negative g... and be rather uncomfortable.

Pretty sure Swiss/Finnish Hornets also have solid wings now, which enables higher Gs, plus custom FCS Adjustments.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

A motionless airplane that rapidly pitches down will still cause a negative G for the pilot.

This is because the pilot sits on the front of the plane, in front of the center of gravity. The acceleration the pilot feels is centripetal (being swung around a circle), not due to load.

A G training centrifuge works the same way. The centrifuge rotates, but it does not actually go anywhere (despite how cool that would be).

If my math is right, a pitch-down of 30 degrees per second would cause about 1 G on it's own.

edit: In a plane this is 1G outward, not downward. So, not blackout-Gs, but eyeball-pulling and seatbelt-pulling Gs.

Edited by Preendog

You can do all of those moves with the DCS Hornet.:lol:

Give us a video, then. :music_whistling:

I've tried to replicate such a pitch over... even with the G-limit override engaged... the negative pitch of the nose seems uber-sluggish in every flight regime...making the Finnish Hornet look like an F-22 in some ways compared to our DCS jet. Maybe Skate is right.

Some cool moves here

Please, this is an aircraft and it performs maneuvers, there are no 'moves' or 'cool moves'!

Btw, you still didn't explain how you got to the no negative G conclusion.

I've tried to replicate such a pitch over... even with the G-limit override engaged... the negative pitch of the nose seems uber-sluggish in every flight regime...

Just tried to fly the initial part of the Finnish sequence and didn't notice a significant difference, let alone uber-sluggishness.

Taking off with approx 75% internal fuel (to match the acceleration rate on take off), using the same full aft stick after 7sec, results in the same rotation speed/time.

Selecting the gear up, flaps auto and accelerate for the same 13sec at ~10deg pitch attitude results in ~300kts at the start of the pull up.

Climb at around 70° pitch attitude for 8sec and starting the push over at ~290kts.

Time to level flight 4-5sec (depending on the speed at the start of the push over).