SR-71

grafspee

Most savvy aviators with any experience don't buy this story. The premise is true about the differing groundspeeds, but anyone who flies in the Flight Levels knows that all of these aircraft are on different frequencies. ATC is divided into different sectors and is also divided into several altitude spectrums. The SR71, F18 and the Cessna/Twin Beech would not be on the same freq due to VHF vs UHF and definitely separated by the low vs ultra high altitude spectrum.

Entertaining story, but it's bullshit.

Viewpoints are my own.

Most savvy aviators with any experience don't buy this story. The premise is true about the differing groundspeeds, but anyone who flies in the Flight Levels knows that all of these aircraft are on different frequencies. ATC is divided into different sectors and is also divided into several altitude spectrums. The SR71, F18 and the Cessna/Twin Beech would not be on the same freq due to VHF vs UHF and definitely separated by the low vs ultra high altitude spectrum.

Entertaining story, but it's bullshit.

Awww, I wanted to be the wet blanket on this one!

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Well, we know the F-18 radio can tune to both VHF and UHF frequencies and it has two radios. I actually wager the SR-71 probably has more than two and is likely to monitor several centre frequencies at once. So that's not necessarily a reason to reject the story.

It might be made-up, but it's still a charming story. Aviation needs a little yarning now and then.

• 2 months later...

Here he confirms that this is a true story and explains it a bit more (towards the end of the interview IIRC):

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

These two fella's have an opinion on it too, right at the beginning of the interview, well actually before the interview:

BD-0066 Oral History, Bill Weaver and Maury Rosenberg Lockheed SR-71 Pilots

Fantastic interview too.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |