G940 - Force Feedback - discussion - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #41
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeriaGloria View Post
Now that the patent is up, I’m sure a lot of people would ay for a G940 V2, including me. My sidewinder has so few buttons...
My dream since owning G940 for years, and then moving through CH, Thrustmaster etc to VKB, is that VKB would make a FF base and FF pedals by using magnets.

I would as well see the G960 from Logitech that doesn't change much, like add a two 8-way hats on stick, a 4-way + push to grip and maybe an extension. And then fix the FF effects problems etc.

Nothing else really for a so nice kit. Oh, and change the cable heads to something compatible and easy to attach/remove.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #42
Wrap23

Thank you Fred. You’re pictures are, as they say, “Worth a Thousand Words!”
You’re a good man!
Respect!
Don
Wrap23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #43
Drakoz

Great work fred41. Thanks for your efforts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeliusg View Post
I think it will be easy now to make a new better version of the gimbal itself with files already made - like Alec found above. The shaft itself can be made of aluminum. Only need someone who is interested enough to do so now that most people have access to shops with the necessary tools in major North American cities, certainly Europe as well.

I had already started on some designs to fix this gimbal. I have a CNC machine shop and a good 3D printer (not a hobby printer). So making and testing the parts (machined, or printed) isn't a problem.

I started working on this a while ago and fred41's firmware fixes has reinvigorated me to finish the task. Part of the slop on this stick is because of the software deadzone, or I call it the weakzone because the motors just stop trying at the stick's center position. So making a new gimbal was a waste of time if the software still didn't take up the slack, literally. But it looks like fred41's changes have done that. So now making a new tighter gimbal is finally worth it. Time to dust off the Solidworks models and see what I can come up with.
Drakoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:05 PM   #44
aeliusg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakoz View Post
Great work fred41. Thanks for your efforts!

I had already started on some designs to fix this gimbal. I have a CNC machine shop and a good 3D printer (not a hobby printer). So making and testing the parts (machined, or printed) isn't a problem.

I started working on this a while ago and fred41's firmware fixes has reinvigorated me to finish the task. Part of the slop on this stick is because of the software deadzone, or I call it the weakzone because the motors just stop trying at the stick's center position. So making a new gimbal was a waste of time if the software still didn't take up the slack, literally. But it looks like fred41's changes have done that. So now making a new tighter gimbal is finally worth it. Time to dust off the Solidworks models and see what I can come up with.
Agreed. The stick is already feels worlds better with the new firmware. Any further improvements can be made mechanically. It's been a long time since I've used the stick, but I believe the hall sensor can be calibrated as well in the software so any new design should be good to go.
aeliusg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:12 AM   #45
Drakoz

I came up with 5 simple changes anyone can make to the stick (which includes one 3D printed part) which make a good improvement mechanically - takes out all the slack or backlash. I'll post a video of the changes soon, including the model of the 3D part for people to print their own, and I'll post it on Shapeways for people without access to a 3D printer. Other than the 3D printed part, getting some proper grease, and buying some Locktight if you don't already have some, everything can be done at home with a screwdriver and a file. Sorry for the teaser - give me a couple days to get the video done because doing the changes incorrectly could make things worse or ruin your G940.
Drakoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #46
fred41

... thanks for any friendly feedback, all.

@Drakoz, thank you for linking this thread and my patch repository.
Your announcements, regarding the improvement video, are very welcome and i think many G940 users are waiting exactly for some help of this kind.

@aeliusg, the hall sensor itself (MLX90333) in the G940 is very well calibrated/programmed. But yes, the calculation of all the forces and especially the spring/damper forces is done in the firmware, so there is some potential to adapt FFB behavoir.
fred41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #47
Alec Delorean

Maybe interesting for all G940 owners, after sticking 10 years with the complete G940 bundle i recently switched to a Virpil T-50CM throttle. The most interesting thing i felt was how the stick's behaviour "changed" with the original throttle dísconnected. It feels much more precise now, it's hard to describe it. It seems that the original throttle introduced "disruptive" data while being used, degrading the performance of the stick (and yes, i had the spiking problems...). Without the original throttle connected, it feels so much smoother and precise.
Alec Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote