F-16C & CBU-97 SFW, ED went above and beyond

Spudknocker

So I was playing with the various weapons and systems of the F-16C when I came across the CBU-97 SFW, I do not fly the A-10C so i had not used this weapon in DCS before, and wow was I shocked when I watched the weapon view! It's amazing how much detail went into the animation for this weapon when everyone would have been happy with a cool effect that looked great from the cockpit.

I think the amazing effects and animation that went into the CBU-97 shows how much ED cares for their product and takes pride in its authenticity even in 95% of the playerbase will never see that one detailed animation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

Indeed, tank plinking extra-ordinaire :thumbup:

For comparison, here's a real-life video from the GPS/INS-guided version:

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Watching them in VR on my Index is epic. They were always my favorite cluster in that other Viper sim but seeing when the puck finally homes on the target and shoots that golden death dust is absolutely beautiful!

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

If we would be writing in a COD Forum you would have beend kicked as NOOB!

sorry Spud, only joking.

I can remember it as it was yesterday when I read about ED's plans for the CBU97 animation for the A10C.

I had much more hairs (on my head)

But it was really awesome to see this badboy back in action after not flying the Hog for so many years.

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

Careful with them online, you won’t make any friends. Servers don’t handle them well

Problem w/ 105 is CCRP, hard for me to estimate lead on moving column. I almost like the 97 in the big better for moving targets. And LJDAM style container would be perfect, or f-16 post designate CCIP. Perhaps just decreasing fuzing time and practice lead w/ viper I’ll get better with them.

Related note...

They’ve come a long way since Vietnam era rockeyes (not sure why we we’re still using these until recently). I worked with a dude, he retired a few years back but was probably 6’5” and as solid as a 65+ year old guy can be. Didn’t talk about it much, but did like 3 or 4 tours in Vietnam as green beret. Occasionally he’d have a couple and tell stories maybe show a pic of his box of medals, most were funny shit like getting his big ass stuck in a tunnel or general stuff like being danger close to a b-52 drop. I didn’t know this at the time but I guess they’d come in as a formation of 3, each loaded up with over a hundred bombs. From a few hundred yards apparently the sound... can’t even distinguish individual explosions, it’s just a roar so intense feels like your inside are liquefying, ground shaking like worst earthquake imaginable, prone you are barely maintaining contact- just totally disorienting. I’m not doing story justice, but it sounded crazy. Didn’t talk about the bad memories, most guys don’t. But evidently Buffs would drop clusters back then. Not rockeyes, something else I don’t remember, with tennis ball sized submunitions w/ little tails that caused them to disperse over large area (described as being like those spinners that fall from trees). They spent some time in countries we weren’t supposed to be I guess, with no artillery or CAS, so the 52s would drop em and cover huge area. I guess that shit was even scarier, like a hundred thousand of these things with some sort of molten metal warhead that produced a combo shrapnel/incendiary. Anyway, guess that was a site to see, and scary as hell because they didn’t all go off, so they we’re always looking for these little balls. Anyway, sorry off topic, I was maxed when I heard 52s dropped clusters considering what a single 105 does.

Fast forward 50 years to BLU 108s, with near jdam CEP and a high pK over an area of like 500,000 sq ft... and the friggin parachute! Imagine rolling in a BTR and seeing that, then seeing the skeets fire/spin off.

Unfortunately I guess even w/ the self-destruct, I think Kuwait had like half a million unexploded submunitions to clean up, but I think Kosovo is what really got them banned. We dropped so damn many they are still cleaning em up (I won’t cite the civ casualties, but they’re banned for a reason).

But ya... so, fun to drop on a column of BTRs though :)

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about