Format for description.lua for F/A18-C?

LeCuvier

I have modified two of the .dds files for the F/A-18C cockpit to reduce the HUD's opacity. Currently I switch the modified ZIP file in and out using OvMGE.

But I would like to move these files to the Saved Games path so I can enable them via the "Special" tab under Options.

I have moved the files to "Saved Games" but the folder doesn't show under "Special". I suspect that it needs a "description.lua" file like other cockpit mods. I found that the format of the description.lua differs between aircraft, and therefore don't know what format the F/A-18C cockpit requires.

For the FW-190D9 the lines have this format:

{"fw190cpt_glass_dm", 0, "fw190cpt_glass_refl", false};

I thought that the name on the left is the original "default" file and the one on the right is the customized file, and if the keyword is true then the default file is used, else the file name on the right is used.

However when I look at the FW-190 default cockpit file there is no "fw190cpt_glass_dm". Also the file name on the left is not unique, it can occur in several lines. Finally, I have no clue what the number in the middle refers to. It's not generally = 0.

If somebody could shed some light on this, or even provide a tutorial, I'd be grateful.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thanks Skate, but this does not answer my questions.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

the 1st element is the texture name, then 2nd is the layer, 3rd is the file name, 4th determines file location

if it's true, then it will find the texture file from all declared texture path

if it's false, then it will only search the local folder (where the description.lua locates)

normally, if you make your own texture file, you can name it in arbitrary name and put it in the same folder as description.lua, then just change the 3rd element to your customized file name, and set the 4th to false

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

So, To demonstrate:

{"f18c1", 1, "f18c_1_nm", false};

=

{"MATERIALNAME, TEXTURE CHANNEL, TEXTURE FILE NAME, EXTERNAL LOCATION}

MATERIAL NAME = THE NAME OF THE MATERIAL IN 3DS MAX

TEXTURE CHANNEL = THE TYPE OF TEXTURE:

[TABLE]MAP SLOT NAME | CHANNEL | PURPOSE / FUNCTION

DIFFUSE | 0 | BASE COLOR

NORMAL | 1 | Normals/Depth and Depth Affects (ie Rain/Scratchs on Glass)

SPECULAR | 2 | Surface Properties for Surface Flare Intensity, Width and Reflection (Replaced by RoughMet Map w/ DCS 2.5)

DECAL | 3 | Decal Layer, a opacity layer for adding Decals w/ out changing the base color layer.

DIRT | 4 | Layer used for Dirty Build Up on an Object

DAMAGE | 5 | Layer Used for Procedural Damage Volumetric (Small Scuffs -> Bullet Holes -> Large Holes -> Removed Surfaces)

PUDDLES | 6 | Used to Place Water/Puddles on Surfaces (Puddles on Runways etc)

SNOW | 7 | Used to Place Snow on Surfaces (Snow on Buildings/Bunkers/Runways etc)

SELF_ILLUMINATION | 8 | Used to Make a Texture Self Illuminated (Diffuse = Color, Alpha = Strength)

AMBIENT_OCCLUSION | 9 | Used to Place Ambient Occlusions on Models (Replaced w/ RoughMet Map w/ DCS 2.5)

DAMAGE | 10 | Used to Place Damage Diffuse Color (Appearance of Dirt/Burn Marks around Damage)

<UNKNOWN> | 11 |

<UNKNOWN> | 12 |

ROUGHMET | 13 | Used for Surface Properties, (Ambient Occlusion, Microsurface, Reflectivity)

OPACITY | 14 | Used for Surface Opacity (Mainly for Glass)

-----------------------|--------|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/TABLE]

TEXTURE FILENAME = THE FILENAME OF THE TEXTURE

EXTERNAL LOCATION = WHETHER THE TEXTURE IS EXTERNAL (NOT LOCATED IN THE SAME FOLDER AS THE DESCRIPTION.LUA), TRUE = EXTERNAL, FALSE = LOCATED IN SAME FOLDER AS DESCRIPTION.LUA

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks guys, it seems we are getting closer. The first element (material) is obviously not a file name (although in some cases there are .dds files with matching names. I used the "find in files" in Notepad++ and found that these material names occur in .EDM files and .json files. The .json files can be opened with Notepad++ and seem to define some optical properties of the materials. That does not help me to define which material name I should use in the description.lua. I suspect that this information is in the .EDM file.

Correct? And if yes, how can I open the .EDM file in a human-readable format?

LeCuvier

Thanks guys, it seems we are getting closer. The first element (material) is obviously not a file name (although in some cases there are .dds files with matching names. I used the "find in files" in Notepad++ and found that these material names occur in .EDM files and .json files. The .json files can be opened with Notepad++ and seem to define some optical properties of the materials. That does not help me to define which material name I should use in the description.lua. I suspect that this information is in the .EDM file.

Correct? And if yes, how can I open the .EDM file in a human-readable format?

Look in the post I linked earlier:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=214404

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs