[FIXED] Viggen kneeboard broken in DCS 2.5

Simon1279

The Viggen's kneeboard is broken in DCS 2.5, i mean there's no terrain texture at all in every map and no custom pages available aswell, which is a kind of not so good thing, you know, i've searched around the forums and as i can see, this is something broken since a long time.

Tried to uninstall the module, reinstall it, repair DCS and so on but it's still broken, any clue about that and also it is the only one module with this problem compared to all of the other modules i own.

DCS%202018-02-07%2013-54-47-35_zpsc9pdggmu.png DCS%202018-02-07%2013-54-55-43_zpsvzjzjtix.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 8700K @ 4.9 ghz, SSD 850 evo, MSI Z370 Gaming Pro, GTX 1080Ti, F/A-18C in the garage, F-16C in the backyard, F-14B in the garden

I'm using an old iPad as kneeboard for Procedures ... but it doesnt contain maps or dynamic features :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hmmm... thought this would be fixed in last week's hotfix updates like a lot of the other kneeboards werer, but no, still the same.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The waypoint data including QFEs still works ok for me. That info is near the end. Probably the last page.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sorry, my problem is the missing textures as per post #1 top image. Functions normally apart from that.

I presume you've tried a repair.

There's really nothing to repair here yet. The kneeboard script that comes with the module is simply not finished — repairs will just restore that unfinished version.

Basically, the script figures out what pages it should create, iterates through them, but fails to build most of them properly. Anything that is not internal to the Viggen is not initialised: external kneeboard page images are not loaded; backgrounds are not loaded; DCS-internal dynamic pages (eg. maps with markers) are not loaded.

The pages are created, but the actual content is not — hence all these transparent pages you have to go through. Each of them is an external image (airport charts, images in the user Kneeboard directory etc) that has not been loaded. The map image in the OP is where the external area map is not loaded, and a default texture is used instead. The problem some pages have, where the upper or lower edge is transparent is the same: Viggen-specific content is applied to the page, but an external background image that is meant to block out the rest is not loaded.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

So, are we saying this is a dev issue specific to the Viggen?

I’m not being critical, but it seems that a lot of basics like the manual and the kneeboard are still missing after well over a year after release. I know it’s still in ‘early access’, but....

Its a 2.5 specific problem, probably in combination with the special Viggen kneeboard.

Probably something has changed with those textures since it loaded the images pre 2.5.

Yes, some minor things are still not finished and this is fine as it is indeed Beta. 2018 is the year they want to release it, expect all those issues to be tackled right in this year.

Its a 2.5 specific problem, probably in combination with the special Viggen kneeboard.

Probably something has changed with those textures since it loaded the images pre 2.5.

Yes, some minor things are still not finished and this is fine as it is indeed Beta. 2018 is the year they want to release it, expect all those issues to be tackled right in this year.

The kneeboard worked fine in 1.5, but never in 2.x, it was always like this.

I thought others have said it’s not a 2.5 issue, that it’s been around with previous 2.x versions for months now.

Since we need target QFE for accurate weapons delivery, the broken kneeboard makes the Viggen almost useles.

Well only certain delivery modes require target QFE for accurate delivery.

No guided weapons require target QFE to be accurate for obvious reasons.

and Low drag bombs , Rockets and gunpods can all be used together with Radar ranging thus removing the need for target QFE

Only highdrag bombs need QFE to be used accurately.

Sure some delivery methods for the Low drag bombs Rockets and gunpods need QFE but you can always fallback to the radar ranging mode if you dont have the QFE.

So unless you want to do use the high drag bombs or do toss bombing with the low drag bombs then you have no need for target QFE.

Edited by mattebubben

Well only certain delivery modes require target QFE for accurate delivery...

The Kneeboard page with the QFE info DOES work .. what doesnt work is the dynamic Map (first dozen pages or so) and the user pages that you might want to put on /saved Games/dcs.openbeta/kneeboard/ajs37/

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The map pages work for me in the sense that all that is missing is the background textures. The course lines show ok, and I am able to mark my position ok.

The GFE info page also works ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent, I was thinking I was doing something wrong. Really getting into the Viggen but in VR the kneeboard, with custom pages, is a life line that I can not do without. The sooner a fix is released the better - even if it only allows for custom pages to be added.

Edited by tom1502

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

Excellent, I was thinking I was doing something wrong. Really getting into the Viggen but in VR the kneeboard, with custom pages, is a life line that I can not do without. The sooner a fix is released the better - even if it only allows for custom pages to be added.

The kneeboard works. Custom pages can be added. It's just different to other modules. (see here for details, there is even a mod around with many useful custom pages)

This thread only refers to the default pages having missing background textures.

Edited by Zabuza