Adjust rudder trim increments - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-27-2017, 06:35 AM   #1
philstyle

Default Adjust rudder trim increments

Is is possible to reduce (or increase i suppose) the amount of rudder trimming that is input when I use a "button" (on a hat-switch) to trim the rudder?

I find that one click of rudder trim is moving the slip indicator by 3 to 5 degrees, which is too reactive. Ideally I'd like to be able to have a more fine control over the trimming, but I want to keep the key-binding set to the hat-switch, and not move it to an axis.

Anyone got any suggestion?
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:55 AM   #2
jcomm

Good point philstyle! I have wondered about it myself since I really find it too coarse.

The only thing that helped smoothing the effect was setting the rudder curve to 30% - something I never did to any of the ww2 aircraft modules ever released for DCS. I hope the fine tuning comes with one of upcoming patches :-)
jcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
Alicatt

I was thinking the same thing last night too.

That's the other thing, the steps on the rpm setting are quite large as well, thank goodness this is not a multi engine aircraft or you would never get the engines in sync
Old 04-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #4
jcomm

Yes Alicatt, I agree with that one too, specially now that I am using only a TS16000 and no longer have my broken X52 HOTAS unit available for further throttle/ prop / mixture axis, and so have to use the keyboard or assign those functions to TS16000 buttons.

Prop is also way too coarse. They could create a "slow increase" / "slow decrease" option, or make the default one finer.
jcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
OnlyforDCS

Im using a rotary on my throttle quadrant for rudder trim. It works better than a hat switch, though it too is a bit finnicky.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
Lensman

I find a rotary encoder gives almost one to one rotation in synch with the virtual trim knob.
16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.
SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
Windows 10 Professional
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #7
philstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
I find a rotary encoder gives almost one to one rotation in synch with the virtual trim knob.

So it's clearly possible to have more fine control.
The Devs just need to translate that to the button / swicth controllers too.
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
Knock-Knock

Its button press time. I too with rotary encoders have very fine control, almost too fine at times. Yet if I adjust with the HAT/Pov thing on the stick, its too much at once. But its the longer you press, the more it trims. So you have to be super quick to make small adjustments. Thats what happens with rotary encoders, its just a super quick press.

A function similar to what is used for wheelbrakes might work. If using a button for brakes, brake pressure is progressively being added. Wonder if that is something in the control files, that can be added to trim for example?

| MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | i5-4670K @ 4.3Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 1600 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC | Samsung 850 Evo 250 & 500Gb | 40" Sony FullHD | Oculus Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick (19.5cm extension) & Throttle | MFG Crosswind | Windows 7-64 |

Last edited by Knock-Knock; 04-27-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Knock-Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #9
Alicatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomm View Post
Yes Alicatt, I agree with that one too, specially now that I am using only a TS16000 and no longer have my broken X52 HOTAS unit available for further throttle/ prop / mixture axis, and so have to use the keyboard or assign those functions to TS16000 buttons.

Prop is also way too coarse. They could create a "slow increase" / "slow decrease" option, or make the default one finer.
I've stopped using my Cougar and am now using a T16000M, the flying is a lot smoother with it than the Cougar which is showing it's age, normally I would have assigned a rotary to the pitch and trim but I don't have that luxury now.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
Catseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
Is is possible to reduce (or increase i suppose) the amount of rudder trimming that is input when I use a "button" (on a hat-switch) to trim the rudder?

I find that one click of rudder trim is moving the slip indicator by 3 to 5 degrees, which is too reactive. Ideally I'd like to be able to have a more fine control over the trimming, but I want to keep the key-binding set to the hat-switch, and not move it to an axis.

Anyone got any suggestion?
Hi Phil,
Here is my WH Script for just that. I have trim on H1.
Change the number 150/50 to suit yourself. It is the pulse rate of the key in milliseconds.

Cheers
Cats . . . .

MapKey(&Joystick, H1U, REXEC(0, 150, "ActKey(KEYON+PULSE+';');"));
MapKey(&Joystick, H1D, REXEC(0, 150, "ActKey(KEYON+PULSE+'.');"));
MapKey(&Joystick, H1L, REXEC(0, 50, "ActKey(KEYON+PULSE+',');"));
MapKey(&Joystick, H1R, REXEC(0, 50, "ActKey(KEYON+PULSE+'/');"));
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controls, rudder, trim