Altering the page order on the Kneeboard

Rudel_chw

Hello,

Currently the Kneeboard show its contents using the following order:

- Generated Map of the flight area.

- Aircraft's Kneeboard (only on some aircrafts, like the MiG-21, Viggen, C-101, etc)

- Content of Saved Games/DCS/Kneeboard/<aircraft>/

- Terrain's Kneeboard (if any, currently only Caucasus and Nevada have content)

- Mission's Kneeboard (on /KNEEBOARD/IMAGES/ within the .miz file)

My gripe is that the Mission's data, which in my view is the most important when flying a Mission, gets buried at the far end of the kneeboard :(

I've been toying with the lua files at DCS/Scripts/Aircrafts/_Common/Cockpit/Kneeboard/indicator but haven´t been able to find a way to reorder the Kneeboard contents, such that the Mission's Kneeboard appears at the beginning or at most just next to the Generated Map ... Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks a lot for any help that you may provide on this subject,

Best regards,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

If I’m right the setup is. Using something like this

Info to talk and take off from local area. Need to get airborne. And speak with atc

Aircraft checklist etc for startup,taking off, etc. need infor to start the. Aircraft, take. Off etc and flight data

The. Terrain data would be maps and atc info for inflight use

The. The mission data should be the data need to complete your. Part of the. Mission if. Done correctly

So. If. You organize your kneeboards this way itmake since. And will show. In the correct orderthen for the rtb reverse. Your pages usin prev page

The. Save games is info the pilot wants added probably. If everything is organized correctly it would me pilot notes

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

If I’m right the setup is. Using something like this ...

Hello, thanks a lot for trying to help me with this, but I'm not a native english speaker and I'm not sure of understanding what you are saying :(

Let me explain better what is exactly my issue:

1) The kneeboard is like a notebook that you can read within the cockpit .. it has pages from 1 to n and you can move from one to the next sequentially. If the kneeboard has too many pages, it can take a lot of clicking to get to the end of it.

2) The contents of the kneeboard is taken from various places, and it's order varies a bit, depending on if the aircraft you are flying does have a kneeboard providad by its developer, or not. For the Aviojet C-101 the order of the kneeboard pages, and its sources, is:

- Pages provided by the aircraft maker, located at \Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\C-101\Cockpit\C-101EB\KNEEBOARD\pages

- Next, the pages are taken from my custom aircraft kneeboard, located at \Users\<your user>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\C-101EB

- Next, the pages are taken from the Terrain your mission is set, for Caucasus it is: Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\Kneeboard

- Next, the pages of the kneeboard came from the kneeboard that you've placed within the mission's .MIZ file itself, for example: Mission_1.miz\KNEEBOARD\IMAGES

- Finally, the last pages on the kneeboard is a Map of the flight area with about 7 pages, at different zoom levels each.

3) If the aircraft you are flying does NOT have a kneeboard providad by its developer, for example the F-18, then the order of the kneeboard pages, and its sources, is different than previously:

- This time, the first pages on the kneeboard is the Map of the flight area.

- Next, the pages are taken from my custom aircraft kneeboard, located at \Users\<your user>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\FA-18C_hornet

- Next, the pages are taken from the Terrain your mission is set

- This time, the last pages of the kneeboard came from the kneeboard that I've placed within the mission's .MIZ file itself

OK, the above is the situation currently ... what I would like is to have the Mission's file Kneeboard to be at the beginning of the Kneeboard.

Next, I'd have the Map of the zone.

Next, I'd like the pages of the aircraft's developer.

Next, the pages from my Saved Games folder

And last, the pages from the Terrain.

This to me is a more logical order, as the Mission's info goes first, and the reference Maps go at the end of the Kneeboard.

I've mess a bit with the Kneeboard's Lua files, but havent been able to alter this order :(

Hopefully, someone out there knows how to do that.

Cheers,

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

True if you have large kneeboard files at each part it can be large when in the cockpit. Imo you should only have the Necessary pages at each level. The checklist at the Aircraft level, a. Set of local maps at the terrain level, the the mission data. If you. Need data from the other. Levels for setup anf startup then create a list of that data as the cover sheet for your aircraft pages that way you got all the comm data and nav data to setup. What. Equipment you have.my theory is start on the cover sheet set up command nav data the turn to the ac’checklist then once airborne turn to the terrain maps find the one you. Plan on using for nav. Use then once your in your flt plan flip over to the mission data pages conclude the mission turn to the flt planmaps for. Your. Route home then hit the local data for inbound then turn to the checklists again until shutdown.

Git. In ac pull-up kn should come up with your cover sheet if everything is laid out correctly. If. Notturn to it.

Now go to next page should. Begin with before startup checklist. Go. Thru the check listsup to. Before. Landing.

Next turn to the maps of the terrain follow your flt plan and when you are entering the ao( area of operations) you should be using the kB next command with. The. Occasional kB prev command to go back .

Once in the ao you should be in the mission kB files to complete the mission

Once the mission is complete kB prev to the terrain maps.

When you enter the local area for you base kB prev to the data for. This area once you enter the pattern kB prev the before landinding checklisti in the ac data go thru the. Rest of the checklist and ac sata for landing

Once on the ground follow atc. Taxing to parking data.

Once parked follow the shutdown checklist until the ac is cold and dark. Then your done.

kB next up thru mission complete the kB previous until cold and. Dark except for the. Occasional kB next to go to the next page. Of the checklist or swapping to the airfield diagram until you park the kB. Prev foe checklist for shutdown.

I hope this helps also if you finding your not using a page remove it. Except for emergency data and checklist. I would say there should be around four pages min for each section,the local info may run. More depending on the number of the departures and arrivals. Then the terrain may be more or. Less depending on the length of the route. The mission kB folder. Shold. Beshort. And concise with maps showing your ingress targetsand egress with. Secondary targets and routes. Plus callsigns data for different functions like the atc,fac, awacs etc then the different components of. The mission maybe. 3-4 pages for the kB but the mission breifing should be several pages per page in the kneeboard.

I hope the several ways/procedures I’ve listed this show. If things are laid out correctly how yes you have 20 plus. Pages in your kB but using kB next moves the. Focus thru the different sections until you complete the mission then it’s kb previous until you. Land and shut down except for the emergency checklist you should go thru each section in order next. Thru mission complete. The previous until shutdown and exit ac. While in a section. You may use kbnext or kB previous to locate data but when you exit that section you’ll use next until mission cw the previous until you shutdown with exception as needed. So if your carefull and manage each section carefully makes it easier I know I need to pull my kB files and manage them so that the pages that show only applies to the current ac/terrain/and mission not the ones prior.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

True if you have large kneeboard files at each part it can be large when in the cockpit. Imo you should only have the Necessary pages at each level. The checklist at the Aircraft level, a. Set of local maps at the terrain level, the the mission data. ...

Thank you for sharing your ideas about this subject .. you are right that since the kneeboard remembers the current page, going trough it sequentially as the mission progresses is practical.

I have the aircraft's normal procedures saved on the saved games' kneeboard, and I wanted to put on the mission's file kneeboard the procedures specific only to the weaponry that will be used for the mission, along with a briefing that can be watched while in flight without pausing the game.

It's the 53 pages of the Terrain (Caucasus, Nevada has 43), that get in between my two parts of the kneeboard, that bother me :)

Anyway, for know I've set the kneeboard paging keys bound to my Hotas with the autorepeat function, so that at least I can just keep the button pressed to advance trough the KB without having to go clicking on each page :D

Best regards,

Relocate the unwanted pages to the correct location like the nttr data to the nttr kneeboard etc

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB