Spitfire first take-off; first "landing" observations - Page 33 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #321
=Pedro=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-J View Post
Yes, they are, but it's the TE476, which can be seen in this particular narrated takeoff and flight sequence, hence the confusion.
Checkmate
Old 09-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #322
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Dear God, Yo-Yo, you should ba ashamed of youself . Some average guy might not be able to recognize Griffon-powered Spit from the Merlin one, but you? They look completely different!

The plane on the video is obviously Kermit Weeks' Mk XVI s/n TE476. Very much Merlin powered, and if someone cannot recognize that visually (which I just can't comprehend ), prop rotation and right rudder input as seen on external camera shot are a dead giveaway.

That being said, video narrator indeed says about left input (?!) - we can only presume whoever produced the film used Griffon-Spit pilot's notes for background narration. Not a very professional film then! Can't wait for the plane to be flyabale again, so that Kermit can make one of his excellent "KermieCam" videos with it and narrate it himself!
Shame on me, yes. Looked at a glance, noticed Griffon- powered one...
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #323
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Dear God, Yo-Yo, you should ba ashamed of youself . Some average guy might not be able to recognize Griffon-powered Spit from the Merlin one, but you? They look completely different!

The plane on the video is obviously Kermit Weeks' Mk XVI s/n TE476. Very much Merlin powered, and if someone cannot recognize that visually (which I just can't comprehend ), prop rotation and right rudder input as seen on external camera shot are a dead giveaway.

That being said, video narrator indeed says about left input (?!) - we can only presume whoever produced the film used Griffon-Spit pilot's notes for background narration. Not a very professional film then! Can't wait for the plane to be flyabale again, so that Kermit can make one of his excellent "KermieCam" videos with it and narrate it himself!
Well, wasn't Mk.XVI's Packard powered last time I checked? Shame on you Art-J…

S!
Old 09-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #324
klem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
Well, wasn't Mk.XVI's Packard powered last time I checked? Shame on you Art-J…

S!
Yes, Packard MERLIN, known as Merlin 266.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 3.8GHz / 16Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / 2 x EVGA GTX980 GPU 4Gb SC SLi/ 256Gb & 128Gb SSDs/ 750W PSU
Windows 10 Home / 3 off 27" @ 5760 x 1080 plus 27" @ 1920 x 1080 below / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro/ MFG Crosswind pedals / CH CM
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #325
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
Yes, Packard MERLIN, known as Merlin 266.
Still Packard, an american company, different engine, even some operation is slightly different like in Mustang instead of Spitfire.

Anyway just kidding about being so nitpicky, if we're going to be nitpick then… You see the irony, I think .

S!
Old 09-02-2017, 12:51 AM   #326
Solty

Quote:
Still Packard, an american company, different engine, even some operation is slightly different like in Mustang instead of Spitfire.

Anyway just kidding about being so nitpicky, if we're going to be nitpick then… You see the irony, I think .

S!
It is still a Merlin. Packard Merlin. Not Rolls Royce.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyA..._Sqdc0IKJuv6dA
Solty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:54 AM   #327
klem

Quote:

S!
OK a small nitpick

The Packard Merlin had a few superficial differences like some of the block castings were more robust where they were bolted together (see attached Merlin 70 vs 266) but the general appearance was virtually identical. Sorry to use a Merlin 70 instead of a 66, that's all they had out of the aircraft at Biggin Hill when I was there. No real visual difference between a 70 and a 66 for these purposes.

Wikipedia may not always be 100% reliable but you may find these interesting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Merlin
see the 266

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superm....28type_361.29
see the Mk XVI. The slightly higher intercooler is mentioned which happens to sit in the area of the engine in my photo of how the castings were bolted together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Merlin70_3 (Large).JPG
Views:	54
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	168486   Click image for larger version

Name:	PackardMerlin266_3 (Large).JPG
Views:	48
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	168489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Merlin70_2 (Large).JPG
Views:	113
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	168490  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PackardMerlin266_2 (Large).JPG
Views:	43
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	168491  

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 3.8GHz / 16Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / 2 x EVGA GTX980 GPU 4Gb SC SLi/ 256Gb & 128Gb SSDs/ 750W PSU
Windows 10 Home / 3 off 27" @ 5760 x 1080 plus 27" @ 1920 x 1080 below / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro/ MFG Crosswind pedals / CH CM
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:57 AM   #328
Art-J+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:

S!
Nah, I don't quite see the irony. Using that logic, Corsairs built by Goodyear and Brewster should not be called Corsairs. Not to mention Liberators, which were (in)famous for lack of some parts interchangeability between the same (well, in theory...) variants built by Consolidated, Douglas, NA and Ford, causing frontline mechanics to pull their hair out . Packard-built Merlin is still a Merlin, just like the Ford-built one.

Griffon, on the other hand, was a completely different design, even originating from different "ancestor" so to speak, thus pointing it out is as far from "nitpicking" as can be, I would say.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one
Old 09-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #329
Tekkx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
A must watch for Spitfire lovers. Second half of the video shows take off and landing and uses a WWII pilot's journal description of his impressions of the spit and his detailed notes on start up, taxi and take off procedures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpvuEDzmVO4
This clip is very nice to watch. The sound is (partially) impressive thow it covers the voice-over to make it hard to understand (to a foreigner).
But the lack on this video is, the most interesting things are happen outside of the frame or are cut (in the most suspenseful moment) to show another take from another position.

Knowing, this wasn't the intention of this Video, I was interested in the Rudder- and Aileron-Work. This is just a few split seconds to be seen. Disappointed.
[BA-10C-Devices:[/B] UFC (LeftSideController made from a keyboard of a Olympia CM 811), X55 Rhino and Saitek Pedales, CDU (try to adopt it to DCS-BIOS), 18" TFT with HELIOS Gauges incl. 2x scratchbuilt MFD-Bezels (under construction), Facetrack w Pointtracker + DIY Clip - Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Last edited by Tekkx; 09-02-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Tekkx is offline   Reply With Quote