DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion

Barrett_g

The P-47 is my favorite WWII aircraft and the thing that I look forward to the most about DCS WWII.

The problem with the P-47 is it always seems like it's over shadowed by the other planes... so I thought it would be cool to start a thread devoted strictly to the P-47. A place where P-47 fans can share facts and stories about this awesome plane.

There's several documents on this site...but here's one that I found particularly interesting:

www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/P-47_versus_FW-190.pdf

Any other fans of the P-47 out there?

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/alop0e/il2-sturmovik-46-not-my-time-to-die?sa=X&ei=vlBaUrCVC8aN7QbqzoCADA&ved=0CB0QqwQ

I made a short machinima movie in 2007 about the fight for survival by Robert S.Johnson when he was hit by Cannon fire at 26,000 feet, knocked out, recovered but couldn't escape from his P-47 due to a jammed canopy and eventually was attacked on three separate occasions by Egon Mayer as he headed for England.

It's an incredible true story (although it's a P-47 Razorback). In comparison to newer HD machinima it's like watching a VHS, but I'm still happy with it.

Can't wait to.see the jug take to the skies once-more..cheers, MP

I adore the Spitfire and am looking to flying the Spit more than any other. But I do have a love for all WW2 warbirds and I know that the P-47 was a very effective warplane that shot down a lot of enemy aircraft. So I too want to see the P-47 given justice in DCS. It should be a very fast and effective weapon. With The flight models being worked on i'm sure we will get an accurate P-47, I think it is more a question of the AI effectiveness who at present do not miss a beat in air combat you have to get everything right in the air to defeat a FW-190 you cant afford to make many mistakes if any.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Of the all the DCSWWII the Jug is my favourite.

I hope they spend alot of time on the DM for horses, I've seen footage of P47's free hunting horse drawn equipment convoys in the German countryside and it looks super fun vapourising a horse with a .50 :devil_2:

Of the all the DCSWWII the Jug is my favourite.

I hope they spend alot of time on the DM for horses, I've seen footage of P47's free hunting horse drawn equipment convoys in the German countryside and it looks super fun vapourising a horse with a .50 :devil_2:

Man, that's pretty messed up. I doubt most of the actual pilots enjoyed killing horses...at least I'd like to think they didn't do it for "fun". You must really like kicking puppies too.

Moving right along,

I am very much looking forward to the Jug and to think of all of these amazing aircraft at DCS quality fighting in the same airspace gives me chills. One side note, if the AI damage model stays the same, you may never see an AI P-47 ever get shot down :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

This is the closest I ever got to a P-47 in real life (while it's engine was running).

I had ky Canon XF100 on a tripod as it taxiied up to.me the day before the Camarillo Airshow in 2012. I was getting a little nervous as it got closer, but the Jug is such a beauty, I held my ground ;) (also got a P-40 and 51)

Glorious engines - Wings over Camarillo P-40, P-51 and P-47 shot on a Canon XF100

This is the closest I ever got to a P-47 in real life (while it's engine was running).

I had ky Canon XF100 on a tripod as it taxiied up to.me the day before the Camarillo Airshow in 2012. I was getting a little nervous as it got closer, but the Jug is such a beauty, I held my ground ;) (also got a P-40 and 51)

Glorious engines - Wings over Camarillo P-40, P-51 and P-47 shot on a Canon XF100

I was lucky enough to get about just as close to a Spitfire Mk XIV, a P-40, a P-51, a F4U Corsair, a Hurricane and a Lancaster. All in the same day!

I know what you mean :)

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/alop0e/il2-sturmovik-46-not-my-time-to-die?sa=X&ei=vlBaUrCVC8aN7QbqzoCADA&ved=0CB0QqwQ

I made a short machinima movie in 2007 about the fight for survival by Robert S.Johnson when he was hit by Cannon fire at 26,000 feet, knocked out, recovered but couldn't escape from his P-47 due to a jammed canopy and eventually was attacked on three separate occasions by Egon Mayer as he headed for England.

It's an incredible true story (although it's a P-47 Razorback). In comparison to newer HD machinima it's like watching a VHS, but I'm still happy with it.

Can't wait to.see the jug take to the skies once-more..cheers, MP

That encounter is featured on "Dogfights" on an episode dedicated to the Thunderbolt.Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G79dkS7EzPY (For some reason I cant embbed it)

Edited by Royraiden

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Alright, I'll add my $0.02.

The P-47 shot down more enemy aircraft than any other American fighter in WW2. That's right, more than the Mustang, Corsair, or Hellcat. The Jug was not merely a bomb truck. It had a higher service ceiling than any other American fighter, and the P-47M was the fastest piston engine fighter to serve in the ETO.

So there!:book:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Alright, I'll add my $0.02.

The P-47 shot down more enemy aircraft than any other American fighter in WW2. That's right, more than the Mustang, Corsair, or Hellcat. The Jug was not merely a bomb truck. It had a higher service ceiling than any other American fighter, and the P-47M was the fastest piston engine fighter to serve in the ETO.

So there!:book:

It had a higher service ceiling than any other allied fighter, faster top speed, and faster roll rate... Still trying to find the document that supported those figures.... But it read very much like the document I posted above... Most of the other fighters would jump out to an early lead... But once that turbo started pumping the P-47 would reel them in and leave them in the dust!

It'll be fun getting high above the battlefield and diving in on unsuspecting victims!

The faster roll rate might be more an artifact of pilot experiences. I haven't seen data that supports it, but the light stick forces of the P-47 could account for that opinion.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

The P-47 shot down more enemy aircraft than any other American fighter in WW2. etc ...

Was'nt that because 8th air force merged air and ground victory to encourage pilots to do a little "cleaning" on their way back to home ? I don't know if the same was done in the PTO.

BTW, the jug will definitively be my favorite ride in DCS WWII. The p51 will get all the love, but the P47 will get the job done :smilewink:

I only hope it will not be the free aircraft. It's not the best plane for a beginner. A free spitfire will be a far better "first step" to get new player into our hobby.

It's looking like it will be the free plane. It got the most votes on the poll they conducted here earlier as it had a wider landing gear that will help newbies land and take off... It also has a tougher engine that will help newbies survive longer.

I'm fine with it being the free plane... Hopefully it'll open up people eyes and more people will come to love it for what it was capable of.

Does anybody have the stats of P-47 air to air kills in the pacific. So far I can see that the P-47 shot down 3752 aircraft in Europe seriously impressive but it was mentioned that the P-47 shot down more aircraft than the Grumman Hellcat which from what I can see was credited with 5223 air to air kills in us navy and RN service and was a formidable fighter. I may be wrong as I can't find the stats of the P-47 in the pacific but I'm going to fight the hellcats corner until proven wrong.:)

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

The faster roll rate might be more an artifact of pilot experiences. I haven't seen data that supports it, but the light stick forces of the P-47 could account for that opinion.

I think you're right.... I think the roll rate was surprising for how big the P-47 was... So it's more reletive.... But while searching I did find this document from when the RAF was testing an early model P-47:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/p-47c-afdu.html

It basically says the P-47's roll rate was:

Comparable if not better than the Spit MK IX above 30k feet of altitude... Though the Spit had the edge down low.

Far superior than the Typhoon IB

Considerably better than the Mustang X

The P-38F doesn't really go into roll rates... But the P-38F out maneuvered the P-47C.

It's a pretty interesting read!

Does anybody have the stats of P-47 air to air kills in the pacific. So far I can see that the P-47 shot down 3752 aircraft in Europe seriously impressive but it was mentioned that the P-47 shot down more aircraft than the Grumman Hellcat which from what I can see was credited with 5223 air to air kills in us navy and RN service and was a formidable fighter. I may be wrong as I can't find the stats of the P-47 in the pacific but I'm going to fight the hellcats corner until proven wrong.:)

I'll try to find data on this but I'm going to bet the Hellcat out scores the P-47 in the Pacific... The P-47 was just too limited due to its range. I also believe they flew more of an air-to-ground role.

Case in point: P-47's launched from aircraft carriers to Saipan. They landed at the recently captured flight line there and began CAS missions in support of Marine operations.

While P-47's were helping Marines fight tooth and nail across Saipan.. The Navy picked up large radar contacts and moved the carrier task force north to intercept.... The following battle was dubbed the "Marianna's Turkey Shoot." Hellcats scored in droves on that single air battle.

I hate that the Turkey Shoot is sooo popular in History... It makes finding any details on P-47 activity during that time very hard.

After some hard fought CAS missions, P-47's then aided in the capture of Tinian, where I believe they were the first to drop Napalm (at least in the Pacific... Not sure about Europe)

Here's a good read... And about the only information I can find on P-47's during the Marianas campaign... Due to the over shadowing Turkey Shoot:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eatdouble/%7E318thFighterGroup.Saipan.html

As a former Aircraft Mechanic, I love this video of the P-47

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I'll try to find data on this but I'm going to bet the Hellcat out scores the P-47 in the Pacific... The P-47 was just too limited due to its range. I also believe they flew more of an air-to-ground role.

Case in point: P-47's launched from aircraft carriers to Saipan. They landed at the recently captured flight line there and began CAS missions in support of Marine operations.

While P-47's were helping Marines fight tooth and nail across Saipan.. The Navy picked up large radar contacts and moved the carrier task force north to intercept.... The following battle was dubbed the "Marianna's Turkey Shoot." Hellcats scored in droves on that single air battle.

I hate that the Turkey Shoot is sooo popular in History... It makes finding any details on P-47 activity during that time very hard.

After some hard fought CAS missions, P-47's then aided in the capture of Tinian, where I believe they were the first to drop Napalm (at least in the Pacific... Not sure about Europe)

Here's a good read... And about the only information I can find on P-47's during the Marianas campaign... Due to the over shadowing Turkey Shoot:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eatdouble/%7E318thFighterGroup.Saipan.html

let's start a little earlier then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/348th_Fighter_Group

Don't forget the P-47N. That thing had legs, though I'm not sure there were many IJA and IJN aircraft to shoot down at that point.

Here's what i have from a french magazine (aero journal to name it). They made a special issue on the jug and the various units / country that flown her (for non french reader, palmares means roughly score, victoire means victory, ETO, PTO, etc are the theater of operation.)

The counting method is not detail (destroyed only ? Probably destroyed too. Ground kills ?) but a least, it can be use as a rule of thumb to weight the various theaters.

P47.jpg.162c392b1945b3222ee373967c01e1dd.jpg