1.5.8 and 2.2.0 to 2.5 transition Discussion - Page 95 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #941
FlankerMan

Just wondering, what's the difference/advantage/disadvantage between OB and stable? As in, when the release version comes out, will it be any different then OB?
Old 03-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #942
cthulhu68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankerMan View Post
Just wondering, what's the difference/advantage/disadvantage between OB and stable? As in, when the release version comes out, will it be any different then OB?
When release version comes out it would probably be the same as the Beta version until the next update. Each update will then go to Beta first to get issues worked out before being added to release so Beta is inherently less stable. One advantage though is when new modules come out they'll go to Beta first so you can get your hands on it a little sooner if you consider that an advantage.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #943
FlankerMan

So, Beta gets everything a little earlier, but it's more buggy. When the stuff goes to the release version, will all of the improvements given to it also go the Beta? As in, Beta gets stuff earlier, and when it goes to the release version, it will be the same between the two?
Old 03-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #944
Art-J+
Posting Rights Suspended

^ Yup, that's pretty much how it usually works.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #945
Wallkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallkon View Post
I have a metered connection so I need to know how many GB I have to download to install 2.5 if I have already installed 1.5.8 Release and 2.5 OA Release (in order to save some GB of files).

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I have NTTR installed, and it is the only one I need (and the default Caucasus, of course)
Ok, I resolved it. I downloaded DCS 2.5 OB installer and it took around 80 GB from my current installation, and after that it downloaded around 16 GB from internet.

I expect it could be useful for someone else.
Wallkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #946
cthulhu68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankerMan View Post
When the stuff goes to the release version, will all of the improvements given to it also go the Beta? As in, Beta gets stuff earlier, and when it goes to the release version, it will be the same between the two?
Yes. Just think of it as a two step process that keeps repeating.
Add new content or fixes to Beta and see how it works. Once problems are ironed out move the build to release version. Next Beta version would then include fixes to previous version and once again add more content or fixes. etc. etc. ...

In my first post I said both versions would be same but in hindsight that's not really the case. The release version should of course have improvements ovr Beta. My point was they'd probably just be concentrating on performance issues and bug fixes and not add new content so both versions will be similar, not the same.

Last edited by cthulhu68; 03-13-2018 at 03:03 PM.
cthulhu68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #947
Morat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu68 View Post
Yes. Just think of it as a two step process that keeps repeating.
Add new content or fixes to Beta and see how it works. Once problems are ironed out move the build to release version. Next Beta version would then include fixes to previous version and once again add more content or fixes. etc. etc. ...

In my first post I said both versions would be same but in hindsight that's not really the case. The release version should of course have improvements ovr Beta. My point was they'd probably just be concentrating on performance issues and bug fixes and not add new content so both versions will be similar, not the same.
Well... in most software dev the beta versions gets changed and hacked around as bugs are fixed and new features are added. It changes rapidly and when the beta testers stop whinging, the beta is released to Stable and the normal users get what the beta testers have been using. I'd predict that 2.5 won't be getting new features for a while because there will be a load of bugs to be squished. Most projects will release a big version and then feature freeze to get rid of the inevitable bugs that come from large changes.

Being a beta tester can be fun but you can't complain if you download a new beta version and suddenly your controls are inverted or your chosen module runs like a dog.

If you're running stable, you get the new stuff when it's ready but (hopefully) not before. Usually the current stable is just the same as the last beta version before release because the devs don't want to introduce untested changes to the release version.

Of course, this is just my experience of other beta programs - who knows how those crazy ED coders work?

edit: sorry cthulhu68, forgot this board doesn't do nested quotes.

Last edited by Morat; 03-17-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Morat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #948
FlankerMan

I already have 2.5OB, but I have an update available. Will updating erase any of my stats (logbook or otherwise) or campaign progress?
Old 03-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #949
DazzyB

Default 2.5 Open Beta Transition

Hi All,

Just a quick question...

I'm debating whether or not to download the 2.5 open beta, but I don't want to have to redownload 2.5 again when it goes into full release. Can someone confirm that the Open Beta will automatically transition into the full release once it comes out of beta, or will I have to download the full release separately after?

Cheers,

Dazzy.
DazzyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #950
100KIAP_Falcon

Just in CMD prompt type: dcs_updater.exe update @release

More about that: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

100☭ Discord: https://discord.gg/EGrVBHt
Teamspeak: ts.100kiap.org
Forum: http://forum.100kiap.org
www: https://100kiap.hopto.org

If you are a dedicated Flanker pilot, a team player ... join us !!!

100-й Корабельный Истребительный Авиационный Полк

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

Last edited by 100KIAP_Falcon; 03-31-2018 at 10:57 AM.
100KIAP_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote