Defeating an AIM-54C - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
blackbelter

Default Defeating an AIM-54C

I've been fighting BVR with an F14 armed with AIM-54C and AIM-7M. I now can defeat it easily, knowing how AIM-54C behaves.

BUT, MAN! Isn't AIM-54C a mighty weapon? The tacview record shows that it can be launched from practically infinity, and what's worse, its launch is undetectable until the moment its onboard radar is activated. Had I remained flying a straight route before this point, I would not be able to shake it off no matter how I manuvered.

The ONLY way that I so far have found to defeat it is to fly nose down AND banked around 20 degrees from the VERY BEGINNING! In this way, when its onboard radar is activated, its energy is low enough for me to shake it off relatively easily.

I found that AIM-54C is much more difficult to defeat than an AIM-120C. In the latter case, I could start manuvering only from the point at which a launch warning was given by my RWS. Had I done this with an AIM-54C, I am dead meat.

I am a bit lost... Since I cannot always know if an NATO aircraft is armed with AIM-54C or its likes before hand, it seems that the safe way to go is to fly nose down and banked from the beginning WHENEVER I am facing a NATO aircraft which can POTENTIALLY be armed with this weapon. Is that so? Are their any more ways of defeating AIM-54C without the need of banking and lowering my nose from the beginning? Is there any way to detect the launch of an AIM-54C before its onboard radar is activated? I have looked in the manual, but very little is said about it there. Only its name was mentioned a few times.

So, what are your suggestions? Thanks in advance!
blackbelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Jona33

Only the F-14 can be armed with the AIM-54 so if you're going against Tomcat's, be very careful.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
blackbelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona33 View Post
Only the F-14 can be armed with the AIM-54 so if you're going against Tomcat's, be very careful.
Vital piece of information... Thanks a lot for that!
Old 11-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
blackbelter

Btw, chaffs works like shit...
Old 11-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Fishbreath

Chaff rejection capability varies from missile to missile. For instance, if someone shoots an R-27ER at you, you can pretty much just toss your chewing gum wrapper out the window and it'll track that instead.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
aaron886
Veteran

I have a hard time believing the Phoenix should be quite so capable against a small, maneuvering target, but I don't know enough to back it up.
aaron886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
blackbelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbreath View Post
Chaff rejection capability varies from missile to missile. For instance, if someone shoots an R-27ER at you, you can pretty much just toss your chewing gum wrapper out the window and it'll track that instead.
LOL although it should be a sad thing for Russian aircraft pilots instead of funny...
Old 11-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
blackbelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron886 View Post
I have a hard time believing the Phoenix should be quite so capable against a small, maneuvering target, but I don't know enough to back it up.
I should clarify by saying that I was maneuvering while maintaining a lock on the F14... If I don't care about keeping the lock, maybe I could defeat AIM-54C anyway... Will try that.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
karambiatos
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbelter View Post
LOL although it should be a sad thing for Russian aircraft pilots instead of funny...
Nope, its so sad its funny, youre shooting rockets at enemies not missiles

Check out my random mods and things
karambiatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
Frostie
Veteran

When you see fast moving contrails high in the sky you can bet there be some AIM-54C coming your way.
Frostie is offline   Reply With Quote