F-4 Phantom Who Wants it Poll

USARStarkey

F-4 Phantom Who Wants it Poll  

1880 members have voted

1. 1. F-4 Phantom Who Wants it Poll

• YES. THE MIG-21 NEEDS ITS RIVAL
    • YES. Because I just want the Phantom
    • No, I don't like cool planes
    • No, I love the myriad of lame trainers and far flung planes with no historical opposition.

I can't help but comment on how loaded this kind of poll is. Who doesn't want another module for DCS after all? The general consensus, from what I've observed, has been "The more, the merrier" in terms of modules. Especially welcome would be an airframe such as the Phantom series, which has served in several national inventories and gives it quite a large base of interest. I could write down a laundry list of aircraft I'd adore to be realized within DCS: A-6 Intruder, MiG-19, OV-1 Mohawk, YF-12, F-16, MiG-25, Jaguar, and the list goes on and on and on. We all have said list. If you were to make an itemized list of aircraft you'd like portrayed and asked people to comment, the vast majority would answer on each item in a fairly predictable range: from "Absolutely yes!" to "Why not?"

Allow the company to get its first product sorted and made available to consumers, first. These are relatively small teams plugging away at large projects and on very small budgets. Be happy they don't have proper shareholders.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

Cobra, please know I am very grateful for you making stuff for our little niche entertainment. Whatever you'll make after the MiG it will be a first day purchase for me. Even if it's DCS:Flappy Bird ;)

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Right now we have already partially transitioned into our next project.

Some of you will be pleased, some of you will be very disappointed and some of you will, without a doubt, want our heads on a pike.

You could end the speculation and transition to the hysterical rants for and against, if you wanted to, you tease. ;)

Right now we have already partially transitioned into our next project.

Some of you will be pleased, some of you will be very disappointed and some of you will, without a doubt, want our heads on a pike.

Good to hear! I'm just waiting for the poll about what your next project is...

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I would love to see a F4 in DCS to fly against the 21, and I would support the devs who would be willing to create it.

But how about we wait till this project is finished before we start about a new one.

I for one would like to see this project finished before I start thinking about a new plane.

Lets just wait and see what happens.

And for the serious guys out there (on the immature posts)...

Cmon, the forth poll option was just a joke.

Lets keep our heads cool and keep smiling before we all change into grumpy old cats :P

no Mig-21 is complete without its brother from another mother F4 Phantom.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I'd rather an F-8 crusader. Way better than the F-4

Ditto. From a fighter pilot's perspective, the F8 was the one. The F4 is simply the popular choice of the public but not the best, just as the P51 was in WWII.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

Ditto. From a fighter pilot's perspective, the F8 was the one. The F4 is simply the popular choice of the public but not the best, just as the P51 was in WWII.

The F-4 could also carry a much more sizable payload as well as the Sparrow, which the Crusader couldn't outside of the XF8U-3 Crusader III, and it was quite a bit faster.

Still, that said, the F-8 would make a superior analogue to the Fishbed or at least better suited than the Phantom. I'd still pick an F-5 of some variety to be the analogous opponent.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

The Phantom ranks pretty high on my all time phavorites. I think that would be a plane to take on a lonely island. While most people associate it primary with the Vietnam war, let us not forget that it also played an important role in the Yom Kipur and First Gulf wars. And of course there are also a bunch of different variants. The widely used and exported F-4E (has a gun but butt ugly front :) ), the beautiful D which was kept in use as a striker (I think in the USAF even longer than the E), the Navy B/N and J/S (fun fact, last Phantom to deploy on a US carrier was on USS Midway in 1986), the SEAD F-4G and of course the Spey powered British K and M.

It is fun to guess though what Leatherneck's next bird will be. Considering the company name I was guessing the F-4 anyway, but Cobra shoots that down right away. The A-6 has basically the same complexity problems associated with it. The list of remaining Marines aircraft is not very long then (with the legacy Hornet being done by ED), so I would tip on either an A-4 variant or the AV-8A.

Wild Weasle Role in DCS would be ... Fun... to say the least.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

TBH I hated it at first.

It was fast yes, but you couldn't get it to turn if your life depended on it.

And it threw so much smoke out the back that you didn't need radar to find it.

But after a while I started to like the F4 more...

The way it looks, how it performes (for the time) how it helped shape the air forces today.

It's the versatillity that makes it such a interresting plane.

You need to clear the skies, give it some missiles.

Need a target to be destroyed, strap some bombs under it.

It's just one of those planes, like the MiG21 that starts to grow on you.

You hate it at first but when you read about it and look at it enough you can't help but to love it!