Stupid Mouse Problem - Samsung HMD

Dino Might

I've searched threads and believe this issue has already been discussed, but can't make heads or tails how my situation is similar/different.

When I start DCS in VR, I can use the mouse normally, with the cursor not being affected by my head position, and I can interact with the menus, load missions, click stuff in the cockpit, no problemo. It works perfectly. But if I alt-tab at any point, the mouse loses focus from VR and will never regain it, even if I alt-tab back in. I have tried alt+C, win+Y, alt+Enter, and other "fixes" to get mouse focus on the HMD, but it only stays on the mirrored portion in the monitor. So, to use the mouse, I then have to take the HMD off, move it with my hand, and mouse on the monitor to click the radio dials or other cockpit controls I want to use.

Everytime I am in the HMD and I click the mouse, it makes an annoying click sound and does nothing, not even showing a cursor.

This is infuriating, because I want to be able to alt-tab in and out, and get back to the original mouse functionality in the HMD as when I start DCS in VR without having alt-tabbed at all.

Is there something I am missing that is an easy fix to this problem? Or is the HMD UI just bonkers? I'm about to return to TIR and junk the HMD because of this.

I don’t have full screen selected in game but I lift up the headset once I’m in the game and do Alt+Tab to DCS and then Alt+Enter to make it go full screen. This keeps the mouse focus in the game. Also, I lose mouse function after scrolling because my scroll wheel is also my middle mous button. So I have to double click the middle mouse button to get the mouse cursor back.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

No sooner did I post this did I find the answer on another forum.

It's the stupid sensor in the HMD that is used to tell it whether you are wearing the device or not - this sensor toggles mouse control automatically. Placing a piece of opaque tape (I used part of a post-it note) over the sensor will render it inoperable (it's an optical sensor), and then you can manually activate the mouse and keyboard inputs with Win+Y and they won't go away anymore.

Hope this helps others who, like me, were about to give up on VR.