Retiring Rookie Introduction - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #31
DarkFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radial9 View Post
First up, and what I did not expect, is to learn the mission editor so I can set up a cold dark ramp ac at Batumi for the start of front office training.

Second up. Decide to use someone else's startup checklist or use a few out there to make my own. Even if it's a 95% copy of others, setting it down into a spreadsheet item by item would be a good start, for me. I learn faster when I take the time to write something out, piece by piece. It's mine then, I will use it, even if most of it is a copy of other checklists.
It'll definitely be worth learning the mission editor. Simple scenario creation (e.g. you plus a wingman v a group of enemy tanks) takes minutes at most to set up, and the scale and complexity of what is possible is limited only by your imagination and the limits of your PC hardware. There's most definitely an active and for the most part helpful & enthusiastic multiplayer community, but it's probably 10% of the installed user base of the game. SP missions that you dream up for yourself, or download from the net, are where the real longevity of the game exists. Maybe the greatest strength of DCS World is that ED give us a great sand box in which we can create whatever we can dream up.

Another big +1 to writing your own check lists. Writing them out is a really good way of reinforcing memory, particularly for emergency items that require instant and perfect memory recall.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM.
DarkFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #32
Radial9

Not a bad week.

Installed my TH WH, kept my CH Pedals. Set them on two MonsterTech table clamps. Installed DCS 2.5 and reinstalled and activated my A10C. Installed TrackIR and spent some frustrating hours learning and tweeking it. Long way to go but it’s somewhat functioning.

Ran through a few of the tutorials. The HOTAS familiarization tutorial was used to just get a “feel” for the A10C. Did some basic 180 and 360 turns to see if I could keep it at altitude.

Needs work.

Spent a few more hours just getting a feel for the aircraft. I have been flying piston slappers for years, so this is a whole new ballgame.

I am having difficulty trimming it to center in level flight at 250kts. I think it’s just going to take some time. I did change the POV hat on the HOTAS for trim. Just need to keep at it. It will come.

I then spent a few hours with the Georgian Hammer with CA mission going through Chuck’s startup guide on my second monitor. A few mistakes and hunt/peck for buttons. TrackIR is going to take some serious getting used to. I understand it takes a week or two. It’s going to take this old pilot much longer than that.

Was debating whether to recount this, but what the f… Got feeling a bit cocky after getting through the startup a few times, so I think I’ll see if I can taxi out to the runway and get it into the air. I WAS SURE I heard the initial briefing (my wingman I assume) tell me he would follow me out. So out to the runway I go without looking where he was to my right and ran right into him. Big ball of flames…killed him deader than a door nail.

Probably the best thing that could happen at this stage. I will from now on ALWAYS pan around and LOOK before and AS I taxi.

Thank you again for all the help and suggestions. I think it’s finally day one of training now.

Cheers,
Radial9
Radial9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #33
DarkFire

Something that really helped me get used to the track IR: move your head as you usually would, but concentrate on keeping your eyes centered on the monitor. Takes a while for it to become instinctive but eventually it'll feel really natural. Once you get used to track IR you'll never want to fly without it.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM.
DarkFire is offline   Reply With Quote