AGM-122 Sidearm - Accuracy (lacking?) - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #11
Schmidtfire

I don't know if the accuracy is correct. But think about why the AGM-122 was called SIDEARM. It was meant for self defence and not dedicated SEAD missions. It was also mounted on helicopters for that reason. It is a very cool and exotic addition to the Harrier, but there is a reason why it's not around anymore irl. The range is too low, payload too weak. But can in a tight situation get you out of trouble against older types of short range radar guided AAA and SAM systems.

I don't expect a rebuilt lightweight sidewinder with a small seeker to be very reliable, except maybe in an open desert environment with very little ECM or other emissions present. Just my opinion.
Schmidtfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
drPhibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidtfire View Post
But think about why the AGM-122 was called SIDEARM.
Because it's a SIDEwinder-based ARM?
drPhibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #13
Robert31178

It might be an issue with the Tungs themselves. We have experienced multiple bugs with them in a multiplayer setting, specifically our server. We've noticed the following:

- no RWR signal when she boots up
- no visual missiles, just an exploded Harrier
- Sidearms landing nearby, but not on Tungs

Now, I will say that example I personally witnessed witht he Sidearm landing nearby might have been a terrain issue as it was launched from extreme range per the DME set point, and the Tung was in a ravine of sorts.

I have personally experienced the other two bugs.

~Rob
Robert31178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #14
Spudknocker

One thing to think about is the missile tracks the actual radar emitter on the vehicle (like a tunguska etc) and not the vehicle itself. I have seen my sidearms track the radar emitter and this fly a little but high (maybe a meter or two) over the radar antenna on the Tunguska and thus explode behind the vehicle.

I know in Vietnam there was the issue of Shrikes being almost too accurate as the missile would knock the radar off the top of the radar truck and explode behind the vehicle, knocking out the radar but not destroying the truck

Gigabyte GTX 1080+i7-7700K w/ 32GB RAM and Logitech X-56

AV-8B? CHECK! F/A-18C? Check!

Patiently waiting for F-15E Strike Eagle from RAZBAM and F-14B Tomcat from Heatblur!
Spudknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:52 AM   #15
GGTharos
Veteran

In particular they were able to detect the video separation of missile signal from carrier signal on the radar scope while tracking the carrier.

No 'metal particles' or other mumbo-jumbo. Let's face it, 'metal particles' have nothing on 'huge chunk of metal'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteladder View Post
Sam operators in Vietnam were able to detect Shrike launches and switch off their radars. In particular they were able to detect the metal particles emitted by its rocket motor.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
Doum76

Quote:
Originally Posted by drPhibes View Post
Because it's a SIDEwinder-based ARM?
And i presume sidewinder name came cause most of the time they are mounted or only able to be mounted on side stations or wing tips stations, never inner wing stations or fuselage stations?
Doum76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #17
GGTharos
Veteran

No, it's because it flies like a sidewinder (the snake) moves.

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
Old 03-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #18
drPhibes

Nope, it's due to the thermal sensing organs of the Sidewinder (Crotalus cerastes).

http://snakesarelong.blogspot.no/201...hout-eyes.html
drPhibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #19
GGTharos
Veteran

You're right

Old 03-15-2018, 12:03 AM   #20
RShackleford

All those saying the Pk should be low...

It is low IRL because SAM operators turn off their radars and are then no longer a threat to the aircraft. In DCS it is a low Pk while the SAMs are actively emitting and shooting missiles at you, so it doesn't make sense for them to miss at all.
RShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote