M2 NVme or SSD

dbestinfla

Good to know and i'll take your advice thx !!!

------He's lied. I have both Sumsung 860evo and 970evo, there is no obious difference on loading time, maybe 970evo is 1~2seconds faster. The obious advantage for a M2 NVME is its tight size and installment without extra cable in your case.

There should be no noticable difference between 1 or 2 drives. Don't overthink it. You want fast storage for both system and DCS. 2 drives give you more options to move data around. Since it's mostly for DCS why 2TB? Seems excessive.

If you're only gonna be using this for DCS then a single TB M2 is fine...I put in a second 500gb M.2 because I had the slot available AND it was on sale. Another thing to think about though is room to grow. With more maps coming...it will get filled up eventually.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

In my laptop I went with a 4tb ssd an 2 2tb m2nvme drives for xp11 and dcs and 2 1tb or less m2 drives for the os and other apps the 4tb is for storing library files like photos and movies/music and d/ls

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

If you're only gonna be using this for DCS then a single TB M2 is fine...I put in a second 500gb M.2 because I had the slot available AND it was on sale. Another thing to think about though is room to grow. With more maps coming...it will get filled up eventually.

Thx for the advice. I may go this route which is why I'll get the 1 TB ssd to switch out the 1 TD sata hard drive. And also ask a few question about how many NMVe slots it can support. I just want to get a machine and start practicing ect. but, I want to build for the future too. This is hard for me because Im clueless.... but I learning.

thx

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Thx for the advice. I may go this route which is why I'll get the 1 TB ssd to switch out the 1 TD sata hard drive. And also ask a few question about how many NMVe slots it can support. I just want to get a machine and start practicing ect. but, I want to build for the future too. This is hard for me because Im clueless.... but I learning.

thx

It may makes sense to have more than 1 drive, depending on what you do with your PC, if there are files you need no matter what and last but not least, how much you know about Computers ( Windows in this case ).

Say you only have 1 x 1TB NVMe and also format the whole thing as "C" drive.

Once you run into issues with your OS install and need to reinstall ( for whatever reason )

you will need to format the drive and thus loose all your data, if not backed up and saved on another drive.

If you find yourself with a non-booting Win10 that refuses to repair itself you have two options:

1: directly reinstall 10 and loose your data

2: boot a bootable USB stick with Linux and save your files before you the upper case.

If you have not prepared such a bootable stick before disaster happens you will need another PC/friend to help you out and make one.

If you have 2 or more drives and keep your OS clean from personal files ( store them on D: or E: etc.. ) you can format C right away and install a fresh 10 right away.

There are a few things you can learn from this outlined above:

- Always have a Backup of your needed files

- Have a plan what to do if Windows won't boot

- Have a stick ready with at least Win10 installer, better Win10 and a bootable Live Linux

I am a fan of a sleek OS drive, in my case 250GB tho today I would buy a 500GB drive for that sinnce prices have come down. Have a 2nd drive for Apps like DCS. Have a 3rd drive, internal or USB on which you do Backups. The 3rd drive may very well be a HDD with lots of TB, say no less than 2TB, better 4 or 6TB if your App drive is large and/or if you also have other drives with files like Music, Movies, Documents etc..

I would buy a 500GB NVMe for my OS and small apps like WinRAR, Discord, Office, etc..

Those can be reinstalled in a matter of minutes.

Have a 2nd drive SSD (NVMe if Motherboard allows ) for Apps that can be run without reinstalling, like DCS. You can run DCS right after reinstalling Win10, no need to reinstall it if it was placed on a 2nd drive. That may safe you a LONG download depending on your DL speed and volume cap.

Apps that need to be installed on the current OS to work ( registry things most likely ) may be installed on either disk but must be reinstalled on any newly installed OS, no matter if you have the files still on D or E drive.

I just installed a machine with 1.5TB Steam and Origin Apps on 2nd and 3rd drive. We put in his new NVMe, installed 10, installed Steam and Origin and told those 2 to use the folders already present on D and E drive. It took Steam and Origin maybe an hour to check the games

for consistency only, a lot faster than redownloading tons of games. If he had not had those "old" drives things would have taken forever to reinstall them all.

Just my 2 cents on hopw to splitt the capacity.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Yeah Sierra99 I gotcha thx. I was just thinking if this machine will be solely for DCS that I can just run it with the NVMe primarily. So I’m getting that DCS should run only by itself on a separate drive. Man I’m so new to this it sucks. Thx:thumbup:

In an ideal world. But one drive will work just fine. I keep OS and DCS on the NVMe. One extra SSD for all Steam/Blizzard/Pubg stuff.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

In an ideal world. But one drive will work just fine. I keep OS and DCS on the NVMe. One extra SSD for all Steam/Blizzard/Pubg stuff.

Ok cool thanks for your advice. :thumbup::thumbup:

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Once you run into issues with your OS install and need to reinstall ( for whatever reason ) you will need to format the drive and thus loose all your data, if not backed up and saved on another drive.

If you find yourself with a non-booting Win10 that refuses to repair itself you have two options:

1: directly reinstall 10 and loose your data

You don't lose your data by reinstalling Windows unless you choose to format partition.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

You don't lose your data by reinstalling Windows unless you choose to format partition.

yes and no.

It will only let you repair-install from within windows10. So if you cannot boot into 10 you can only do the other.

But to be fair, I have not tried a full reinstall either with not formatting the drive. It may keep your personal folders, maybe not, maybe it will format for you if you dont do it yourself before you click NEXT.

I should try that in VMware, absolutely worth knowing.

I play it safe with Backups and if I have to rescue data from a broken Windows I use a bootable Linux distro or mount that drive via USB on another machine.

That way I actually never had to hope it wont delete my or others data using those options.

One could also splitt the drive into two partitions and do it that way. many options top avoid having C hold all your data.

Just some old school habits I have :)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Believe me, I make money from it. Always back up your data - that's true and best advice but Windows does not format partition by itself. Even if it says you'll lose data just by reinstalling on top of earlier installation it won't delete data. Have it ever gone wrong? Sure - but it's veeery rare.

Partitioning SSD is basically the same as making new folder. Both have pros and cons in theory but practice tells me there's always a trouble with space later after dividing it :)

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

It may makes sense to have more than 1 drive, depending on what you do with your PC, if there are files you need no matter what and last but not least, how much you know about Computers ( Windows in this case ).

Just my 2 cents on how to splitt the capacity.

Thats more than .02 cents my friend... Wow! very clear and thx for your input. :thumbup:

Start Date April 2020 

Believe me, I make money from it. Always back up your data - that's true and best advice but Windows does not format partition by itself. Even if it says you'll lose data just by reinstalling on top of earlier installation it won't delete data. Have it ever gone wrong? Sure - but it's veeery rare.

Partitioning SSD is basically the same as making new folder. Both have pros and cons in theory but practice tells me there's always a trouble with space later after dividing it :)

:thumbup:

Start Date April 2020 

• 11 months later...

I just bought a Samsung EVO 970 1TB drive.  It has not arrived yet, but my hope is that it will help with "ticks" and quick freezes that I get in DCS.  When that happens, the activity light on my SSD drive lights up like it is having to "go to the well" too often.  I recently rebuilt my whole system with Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro mobo, I9-9900K CPU, 32GB low latency RAM, AMD 6800 XT GPU, my drives are a PNY 480GB SSD (current boot drive) and a 1 TB Western Digital FireCuda (DCS location).

Again, I hope to jump in speed will help my issues.  So far, the SSDs and other hardware have not affected my problem.

System Specs:

AMD 5950X (liquid-cooled), Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro Motherboard, 32 GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Seagate 2TB SSD, Geforce RTX 4080 GPU, Rosewill Glacier 1000W Power Supply, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (Stick, Throttle), Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals, NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 w/ProClip, (1) Vizio 40" 4K Monitor, TPLink Dual Band Wireless Card, Window 11 OS