replay controls?

aledmb

hey everyone!

i've played DCS way back in 2008 and there were simply no controls in replay mode (rewind, etc.).

10 years later, i don't understand why don't we have simple timeline controls.

i couldn't find any info, will this ever be implemented?

Similar post: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=204781

Nothing has changed on this as far I've seen. Fast forward only.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Since a recording is actually just a record of control inputs there really is no way to rewind under the current scheme.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Since a recording is actually just a record of control inputs there really is no way to rewind under the current scheme.

i understand that, but wouldn't a computer be able to do the simulation with all the math behind the scenes and put me in a certain position in the timeline?

i mean, everytime i click the timeline, the game would recalculate everything from the start (or from a known base point) and play from that point in time.

maybe we would have to wait for it to process the physics, if they are really that complicated, but i would still choose waiting a few seconds and being able to rewind the "tape" than having to exit replay mode and start all over again (or worse, having to watch 50 minutes before i'm able to analyze what really happened at the end of the mission).

As much as I’d like to have a bit more flexibility in the track viewer, the most reliable and comprehensible way to do a post-mortem of your mission is to use TAC view IMO.

Aside from that, it would be awesome if we could have some handy controls in the track player (timeline, camera selection/customization via UI elements and not just key bindings, etc)

The problem with creating a new replay system is that there are so many different systems etc. Tacview just has to log the position, speed, etc. basically physical state of the planes and vehicles etc in the mission. To create a replay system that allows skipping around, you first have to create some kind of system that knows every single switch and state of every system in the game and what they do and how they would be represented in the game. Then, every single frame, or tick, or however fast the inputs are recorded, it needs to record the exact state of every switch, system, AND the physical state of every aircraft. Then you need to create a way of loading into every single possible configuration at any time.

The way the replay system works right now, instead of recording the state of every single system, it just needs to remember the changes (I think). Instead of logging the state of every control on the radar, it just logs, "oh, he turned the radar to standby" This means that the files are smaller, and it takes a far smaller performance impact to log it than writing everything every frame.

I do agree with aledmb though, I'm not sure if it's possible but it would be interesting to see a way to skip to a place in the track by simulating in the background at a much higher speed than it was recorded at, just to get you to the right place.

"Fighter pilots have ice in their veins. They don't have emotions. They think, anticipate. They know that fear and other concerns cloud your mind from what's going on and what you should be involved in." -Buzz Aldrin

• 1 year later...