Taking my HOTAS out of the closet, but what to expect?

My old Trustmaster HOTAS has been in the closet for too long, so finally looking for a new flying rig, it has been around 9-10 years.

Until now i decided on AMD 3900X, 32 GB ram but not sure about the graphics card. I am looking at two options, either 5700XT or RTX2080S, i know they are not comparable.

I have a widescreen monitor 3440x1440, so would prefer to play in the native resolution.

But what kind of FPS can i expect with the two cards?

Either i go with the 2080, i would expect DCS to be playable in native with all the whistles or i go in low with the 5700 and prepare to upgrade in 1-2 years. (Would love to move to VR at that time)

If i go in low, is it too much to expect the game to be playable at 2560×1440?

Playable would be something like minimum mid graphics settings with a minimum of 40-45 FPS.

Looking forward to some advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At this moment, DCS won't utilise 10 of those 12 cores of the 3900X. If it's a DCS Only build, you can downgrade to a Intel 9700K or 3600X/3700X.

The rest of the cash you can invest into a 2080S / 2080 TI. Don't even bother with the AMD GPU.

32GB RAM is great. I'm using 3000MHz and I'm happy, but some users here said 3200MHz would have some benefits.

I would rather go with a 2070 Super or 2080 Super than picking up a AMD GPU. Sadly with their current performance they aren't really mixing up the marked.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

I just built a 3900x rig with my nephew and that is indeed a very nice CPU.

And if you are doing anything at all else with your PC outside of DCS, that would be my current build of choice.

Heck even if I was building a dedicated DCS pc, id still go with that.

Just because DCS is anachronistic and only uses two threads currently, doesnt mean you downgrade your build because of it.

And these latest gen ryzen cpus beat out Intel even on single threaded tasks.

Flightsim 2020 will definitely use all available processing and DCS will eventually too, it will just take a while.

But if they can't get up to speed in the next two years at most, DCS will die and they know it and have been working on it for over a year already.

Unlike with cpu's, AMD aren't very competitive with the GPU side so Nvidia is the go to choice there.

But anything including a 2070 and above would handle dcs at 3440x1440 easily.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

And these latest gen ryzen cpus beat out Intel even on single threaded tasks.

May I ask for some sources to support this? UserBenchmark lists the 9700K as 4% faster (Stock --> OC --> 8%) on single core operations than a 3900X. And the Intel is 180$ cheaper. Just curious. ;)

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

At this moment, DCS won't utilise 10 of those 12 cores of the 3900X. If it's a DCS Only build, you can downgrade to a Intel 9700K or 3600X/3700X.

The rest of the cash you can invest into a 2080S / 2080 TI. Don't even bother with the AMD GPU.

32GB RAM is great. I'm using 3000MHz and I'm happy, but some users here said 3200MHz would have some benefits.

I would rather go with a 2070 Super or 2080 Super than picking up a AMD GPU. Sadly with their current performance they aren't really mixing up the marked.

Thanks for the answer ;)

Not gonna go into a discussion on AMD vs Intel. The 3900X is plenty and I have other usage of it.

The 5700XT is to my knowledge and dependant on the game, somewhere between an RTX2070S and RTX2080S.

As for price; the RTX2070S and RTX2080S are respectively 21% and 80% more expensive then a 5700XT, at least here in Denmark. They do not bring similar performance to the table, but if they are required for 3440x1440, i might have to go there.

Do you know what can i expexct in terms of FPS of a RTX2070S in 3440x1440?

But anything including a 2070 and above would handle dcs at 3440x1440 easily.

Thanks for the reply ;)

Do you mean RTX2070 or RTX2070 SUPER?

If RTX2070S handle DCS easily, why would a 5700XT not? Is it that close to the ceiling that i need those extra 10% performance for 80% price increase?

Refering to this review, which could be misleadning in regards to DCS.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1902-geforce-rtx-2070-super-vs-radeon-5700-xt/

The 2070S superceeded the 2070, as a mid cycle refresh, especially the 2070 saw a suprising bump in performance with this refresh and Nvidia refrained from also bumping the price.

When you are in the single digits of cpu performance you are more likely to be looking at a software preferance than real differences, taking cine bench scores for instance, I could shut down a bunch of processes as well as the fan control software and get another 2-300 points on cinebench but would ever run my machine like that ?

Nope.

That 3900x was indeed something else, definitely a little jealous of my nephew.

And there really is nothing slow or lacking about my 8700k.

And this is from a guy who has been running intel in every rig I have built for myself since Pentium III, sure built a few AMD's but those have largely been budget customer stuff.

Ryzen has simply done a flip for a lot of the tropes.

Intel is now the CPU's that run the hottest, needs the most cooling and draws the most power.

As for bench websites I don't really trust their numbers any further than I can throw their cookies.

I don't really have any personal experience with DCS and ultrawide, but I'm sure 2070\5700xt should do the job nicely, depending on desired framerate of course for 60hz it would do that without breaking a sweat, if at worst you might decrease one or two settings from max is all.

Personally from general consensus the 2070 is the one to get over the 5700xt, in many tests it comes out comparingly with the 2070, but people are struggling with randomly crashing drivers and very poor stability in a lot of titles, how it would work with DCS I'm not entirely sure.

It might depend on locale, but I'm seeing 2070 supers for just $20-$30 more than the 5700xt but these where local discounts.

We are also expecting Nvidia to launch new GPU's soon, as in the April-June window, but nothing concrete yet.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

RE GPU's make sure you're focused on performance in flight sims, and DCS in particular. Historically, pound for pound, NVIDIA seems to work better than AMD in that setting.

In the current market, way I see it, the problem with NVIDIA is you have to pay for ray-tracing, which you won't use in DCS. But at least it hasn't lost any ground. Quite the contrary, I'd way rather have a 2070S than a 1080.

Meanwhile, what's been happening in the AMD world? Vega for example isn't bad in DCS, about on par with a 1080. But I see AMD is dropping its TMU count, which up until now seems to generally correlate with performance in DCS, near as I can tell. What does that mean (if anything) for the 5700XT? I'd like to see some data. And there is precious little of that out there.

Same goes for the VII, which I find very interesting, but likewise there's virtually no data. It would need to come down in price a little more before I'd take a flyer on it.

DCS is different, it's crunching a different set of numbers than most of the games you see benchmarked.

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Taking my HOTAS out of the closet, but what to expect?

Thanks for the input.

Bought the 5700XT, the price difference could not be ignored.

I intentionally went in low, the card is expected to last two years or to i go VR. That means i will skip a generation or two, and see what the market brings.

Im sure the card will do its job until then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by luke888888

Despite what others say, I dare to say DCS as a whole utilises 4 cores, 2 for DCS and 2 for DX11.

6 ( real ) cores is the minimum you should go for, more if you intend to to run things like TS3, SRS, Tacview, TiR, OBS and what not else. Many run most of them together. I for example run SRS, TiR, Tacview, TS sometimes, Afterburner and all the other stuff that everybody has like AV, Cloud Storage Agents, etc etc.

here is a thread with a pic I just made showing 4 cores in use. Post #5

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260836

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X