White mirrors in A-10C

Nigel Hanchard

For some time I’ve had no reflections in my mirrors (unless I install Ricardo’s Horse of War cockpit mod). They’re just white. I’ve tried repairs but they’ve made no difference. I’m running the latest Beta build. I can’t see any mention of this on the forums. Is anyone else experiencing it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No such problems here. I have Stable and OB and alternate between them quite often. Until recently, I didn't use Ricardo's Horse of War in the OB and the A-10C mirrors worked fine in both versions, with and without the mod.

You already said you ran a repair, that would have been my first suggestion as well.

Can you double check the proper setting in the options to make sure mirrors aren't deactivated (doesn't really fit the problem description, but may be worth a try)?

The next thing I'd try is to rename your Saved Games\DCS folder (or Saved Games\DCS.openbeta). You'll have to do all settings from scratch, but for testing the mirrors, just log in, set Full Screen, then hop right into Instant Action and check the mirrors. After that, you can rename the backup back to "DCS.openbeta" and all your configs will be restored.

If running DCS with a fresh Saved Games\DCS folder solves the problem, it would seem that some config entry, or some setting somehow affects the mirrors. If the problem is the same, then there's got to be a problem with the base game installation or with the graphics card/graphics drivers, so in any case this should help narrow things down.

How do you get to know this stuff? Checking mirrors on/off in settings didn’t make any difference, as you expected. But I then changed the name of the OpenBeta folder in Saved Games, as per your instructions, loaded the game and hey presto! Mirrors as good as new! I would never have worked this out on my own in a million years, so I’m very grateful for your expert help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Glad it's working again! :thumbup:

How do you get to know this stuff?

Sticking with DCS long enough requires this skillset. ;)

Kidding aside, DCS repair doesn't work on the Saved Games folder, it only repairs the files that are installed into the Program Files directory (as far as I know). Pretty much all the user configuration files, and many mods nowadays, as well as some external tools like Simple Radio Standalone, all go to the Saved Games directory, and renaming that is a quick check to see if problems are related to it.

And I have to say, thank goodness DCS doesn't store any of this in the registry, or trouble shooting would be sooo much more difficult. ;)