Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

• ED Translators
Is this a feature of a new mission that we do not get back bogey dope calls from AIs?

As I said GAZILLION blyat times in chat in game, and you guys saw it. It is god damn callsign issue.

How many times you will to use populism and ignore me saying that?

Alpen asked me to help in fixing it and I've spent 1 hour in my Sunday morning to actually do that. I will send fix notes to him and he will need to edit missions.

You are welcome btw

AKA LazzySeal

As I said GAZILLION blyat times in chat in game, and you guys saw it. It is god damn callsign issue.

How many times you will to use populism and ignore me saying that?

Alpen asked me to help in fixing it and I've spent 1 hour in my Sunday morning to actually do that. I will send fix notes to him and he will need to edit missions.

You are welcome btw

Thank you for that :beer:. And I realy have no time to read all forum posts and listen to all what you all have to say on all channels. I apologize for that and that I have not dedicated a life to a game :).

• ED Translators

Sent fix notes to Alpen.

I apologize for that and that I have not dedicated a life to a game :).

There is nothing wrong in you not having more time for DCS, just like there is nothing wrong with other people having more time for it either.

Its just generally in DCS people are more involved, for some it is really a big part of their life. And generally from what I saw people are ready to spent more time in flight and experience more closer to real life "boring" things but have pressure of the environment on them to have challenge close to what real pilots have. For some people doing startup in DCS is boring because of all those buttons, but DCS attract mostly those for whom its not that boring.

Why I'm telling you this? To manage your expectations if you for some reason didn't know about DCS users demographic. Especially demographic of those who fly older airframe, those are even more closer to nerd around.

Other side of this is that DCS goal is mimic real life aircraft as close as possible. But real life aircraft is shaped by tasks and environment, if you take aspects out of picture and try squeeze something less realistic its always comes with cost and endanger missions to have exploits. Balance between reasonable gamer time and real life-like environment which DCS is trying to mimic is pretty hard. You make flight times short, but weapon systems will allow exploits in such environment etc. its not that easy and in most cases plainly impossible.

AKA LazzySeal

Ive spent the afternoon flying 5 points mission today and I could not for the life of me (and it cost me my life many times;)) get the Mig21 radar to work. Normal startup and the 5 minute wait in standby but couldnt get it once to actually turn on. A forum search suggests this can be a bug with ?older missions. Any ideas?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Comrade, havent you heard ? One pilot gets bullets, other pilot gets rifl... Im sorry, wrong tune. One pilot gets missiles, other pilot gets radar.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Comrade, havent you heard ? One pilot gets bullets, other pilot gets rifl... Im sorry, wrong tune. One pilot gets missiles, other pilot gets radar.

Hehe, I like your sense of humor :thumbup:

Just to bring you up to date on the Viggen load out. Most of us dont bring more than 4 missiles to the party, since they are not reliable enough. Our remaining pylons are for the heavy 30mm gun pods, and yes, they are heavy. The early Viggen model did not have a canon on the belly, so we have to improvise and this was the “best” solution. The heavy Viggen got even heavier..

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will now speak for myself. I'm capable of flying pretty much anything but as time goes by, I lost the edge on particular module. E.g.: If there is not enough slots for viggen, I won't fly anything else. Why? Because I won't fly huey half an hour just to drop something, and half hour back. It is a waist of my time. For me it is ridiculous insane spending time flying like a commercial pilot half an hour or more. Especialy in the desert or which is more boring, feet wet. I can do that in single player. Flying 5 to 10 minutes to the front is top. Everything else is just plain boring. Real life of fighter pilots is pretty much 99% boring. And if I wouldn't care for a2a and a2g operations, then I would fly Microsoft shit :) .

You know, ther is very little action with helicopters. Delivering cargo is actualy not an "action" :)

Oh my...

:megalol:

No, seriously. What a derogatory comment.

Server News:

All Blue EWR's should be fixed now. (Current mission is The Desert Has Eyes, which went online before the fix was initiated and will include the fix next time.)

Hats off to Lazzyseal for pointing out the issue causing the bug and fixing it :thumbup:

NOTE:

There's an advanced option in the mission editor where the EWR task is assigned to the EWR unit and the callsign is determined. The latter doesn't work for whatever reason, so an additional advanced option has to be added to set up the callsign.

No doubt there's a mistake/malfunction here. Hope ED sorts this out.

This is an example of why things sometimes need a while until they get fixed. And because we do have a life, things are even slower to get eventually fixed than desired. Really ****ed up post there, buddy! This thread is one of the cleanest and pretty much rant free.

Now, let's all go back to DCS World issues and save real life issues for other forums if needed.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

UH-1H Sling Crate weight

Hi there

I'd like to bring your attention to an issue regarding the Huey crates in some of the missions on this server

It's almost impossible

If i remember correctly, the weight of the crates was reduced in order to give the hueys better range and speed, and put less strain on their engines, which is good!

However, there is a bug that was overlooked in this change

I'll be using the mission "Prince of Persia" as an example, as that is where I've encountered this issue

The sling loading task for the hueys in that mission is to transport a sling loaded crate from the FARP to Al Dhafra AFB, in order to unlock Mirage 2000 planes. It has the huey fly some 40nm with a crate.

The crates weigh 500lb, which shouldn't be a problem, however, the aforementioned bug affects only light crates

Essentially, what happends to the crate, is it starts swinging out of control in a positive feedback loop, apparently caused by the low weight of the crate

A little roll will cause the crate to go to one side, which in will cause it to swing back. Normally the swing back should not be faster, but somehow with a light crate, that crate will accelerate rapidly, reaching 90 degrees from the bottom in just a few sings

Allow me to demonstrate

I put together a quick mission with a huey at 50% fuel, default rope length of 50 feet, and a crate for it, and recorded how the crate behaves when it's 500lb and 1000lb

Both videos were recorded with the games in 2x speed for the sake of brevity, and minimal stick corrections

This video shows how the crate behaves when it's 500lb

You can clearly see it swings way too violently than it should. It's worth noting it gets much worse once the helicopter passes 70-80kt IAS

This comparison video shows the same mission, with the crate now at 1000lb

The crate behaves in a much more predictable and controllable fashion

Even when crossing 100kt IAS, under a helicopter maneuvering far more violently than the one from the 1st video, the crate stays where it should

Again, do keep in mind the videos are both 2x speed. Actual stick deflections were minor adjustments in both videos

I don't know what causes the behavior of the light crates, but it makes it near impossible to sling load, especially over large distances

Increasing the crates to 1000lb weight will remove this problem, while still giving enough range to a huey at 50% fuel to comfortably make it to Al Dhafra (roughly 40nm)

Please fix it, I wanna fly the Mirage :pilotfly:

Edited by BonerCat

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

21 radar can be temperamental. If you turn it off and then suddenly need it again, it takes forever to warm back up. I flip it to standby during my early startup and don't turn it back off unless I know I'm RTB with no likelihood of a fight.

Hehe, I like your sense of humor :thumbup:

Just to bring you up to date on the Viggen load out. Most of us dont bring more than 4 missiles to the party, since they are not reliable enough. Our remaining pylons are for the heavy 30mm gun pods, and yes, they are heavy. The early Viggen model did not have a canon on the belly, so we have to improvise and this was the “best” solution. The heavy Viggen got even heavier..

Ditch the second gun for a countermeasure pod, requires a subtle roll trim (which the Viggen can thankfully perform, lol) and go like that. That way you get the best of both worlds - a gun for dealing with helicopters/finishing people off, and flares to save you from missiles. Two AKANs is overkill and you're right, they're very heavy. I wish they could be mounted on the centreline in place of the X-tank, but it is what it is.

As for the missiles not being good... the 24J isn't great but it sure isn't bad. The biggest problem I've noticed on the receiving end is that a lot of people overestimate the turning ability of the Sidewinders and fire them too close or at far too high an aspect. It's a problem I'm now having too as I adjust back from the R-60. Fire from further out or uncage and pull lead, they should give better results.

Hi Alpenwolf,

I’m trying to use LotAtc on the server but find that it is not installed by default. I have looked into how it works and found that the server is free to install. Once setup it should then be a standalone product. No need to maintain.

If this is something you can do, I would be happy to send you a free licence of LotAtc for your troubles.

Thanks,

Mark

C/S: Mike-Delta

Hi there

I'd like to bring your attention to an issue regarding the Huey crates in some of the missions on this server

It's almost impossible

If i remember correctly, the weight of the crates was reduced in order to give the hueys better range and speed, and put less strain on their engines, which is good!

I'll be using the mission "Prince of Persia" as an example, as that is where I've encountered this issue

The sling loading task for the hueys in that mission is to transport a sling loaded crate from the FARP to Al Dhafra AFB, in order to unlock Mirage 2000 planes. It has the huey fly some 40nm with a crate.

The crates weigh 500lb, which shouldn't be a problem, however, the aforementioned bug affects only light crates

Essentially, what happends to the crate, is it starts swinging out of control in a positive feedback loop, apparently caused by the low weight of the crate

A little roll will cause the crate to go to one side, which in will cause it to swing back. Normally the swing back should not be faster, but somehow with a light crate, that crate will accelerate rapidly, reaching 90 degrees from the bottom in just a few sings

Allow me to demonstrate

I put together a quick mission with a huey at 50% fuel, default rope length of 50 feet, and a crate for it, and recorded how the crate behaves when it's 500lb and 1000lb

Both videos were recorded with the games in 2x speed for the sake of brevity, and minimal stick corrections

You can clearly see it swings way too violently than it should. It's worth noting it gets much worse once the helicopter passes 70-80kt IAS

Even when crossing 100kt IAS, under a helicopter maneuvering far more violently than the one from the 1st video, the crate stays where it should

Again, do keep in mind the videos are both 2x speed. Actual stick deflections were minor adjustments in both videos

I don't know what causes the behavior of the light crates, but it makes it near impossible to sling load, especially over large distances

Increasing the crates to 1000lb weight will remove this problem, while still giving enough range to a huey at 50% fuel to comfortably make it to Al Dhafra (roughly 40nm)

Thanks for the detailed report :thumbup:

I've noticed the same myself flying the Mi-8. It makes sense that lighter weights swing more than heavier ones. It has something to do with the moment of force (torque). The lighter the weight and the faster you fly, the more it will swing. Read about it if you're interested.

That being said, it still shouldn't swing around so violently like that.

I'll increase the weight of the crates for both the UH-1 and Mi-8 and we'll see what happens.

Only problem I have is in the mission Elbrus, where the crates are supposed to be delivered on top of mount Elbrus at an altitude of more than 5000 meters.

Please, report the exact same thing starting a new thread for it here

This will help the developers to hopefully fix the issue should they be unaware of it.

S!

Hi Alpenwolf,

I’m trying to use LotAtc on the server but find that it is not installed by default. I have looked into how it works and found that the server is free to install. Once setup it should then be a standalone product. No need to maintain.

If this is something you can do, I would be happy to send you a free licence of LotAtc for your troubles.

Thanks,

Mark

C/S: Mike-Delta

On the to-do list. It's been giving me problems but I'll try again to include LotAtc.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

The R-13M1 is much inferior missile to AIM-9P, as although it has better than R-60 range, its very heavy (four R-13s make you dump energy faster in maneuvers than six R-60s). I'm contemplating taking only two of them since four make me waaay too slow, while it has limited "advantages". R-13M1 has mere 3.7 G launch limit (R-3S has 2 G, R-60 has 7 G), so its - as pointed by m4ti140 a missile comparable to AIM-9D which we dont even have on Blue side. The other thing I'm contemplating is taking R-55 which has 5 G launch limit but it also has abysmal range...

Your comment compelled me to try R-55, R-3S and R-13M1 against an AI F-5 doing loops and not flarring. Surprisingly, I found only R-3S being able to connect with the F-5 (look up shots). Although R-3S has a shorter range than R-13M1, it is lighter and accelerates faster so it could make the turn. R-55 performed as the worst one, being heavy and slow. There are different aspects to consider when choosing our MiG-21 missiles; flare rejection, range and drag, but I would suggest people to try to use two R-3S missiles for turning fights, as long as R-60 is not available.

The R-13 turns very well but only after its initial burst of acceleration. It can make some impressive turns, it just won't make R-60-like turns. I haven't had much luck with the R-3S previously, but I might give it another go and see how it is now.

From my notes so far, make crates not less than 500 Kg to avoid violent swing in choppers. ALSO model of the crate actually matter.

What crates do you suggest for less swinging? Keep in the mind that in the mission Elbrus helicopters will have to fly at very high altitudes while sling loading a crate. So that crate can't be too heavy in that one instance.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

21 radar can be temperamental. If you turn it off and then suddenly need it again, it takes forever to warm back up. I flip it to standby during my early startup and don't turn it back off unless I know I'm RTB with no likelihood of a fight.

Ditch the second gun for a countermeasure pod, requires a subtle roll trim (which the Viggen can thankfully perform, lol) and go like that. That way you get the best of both worlds - a gun for dealing with helicopters/finishing people off, and flares to save you from missiles. Two AKANs is overkill and you're right, they're very heavy. I wish they could be mounted on the centreline in place of the X-tank, but it is what it is.

As for the missiles not being good... the 24J isn't great but it sure isn't bad. The biggest problem I've noticed on the receiving end is that a lot of people overestimate the turning ability of the Sidewinders and fire them too close or at far too high an aspect. It's a problem I'm now having too as I adjust back from the R-60. Fire from further out or uncage and pull lead, they should give better results.

I agree with you, the adjustment faze to the new missiles is taking longer than I thought. There is a certain fine line between to close and too far, which one need to get used to. The Flares are a good option as you mentioned, but I rather have that extra gun pod as assurance since they are tricky to aim with in air to air combat. Was a great dogfight yesterday, you did damn well with your 21 turning like that with full tanks..

Edited by NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi there

It's almost impossible

Allow me to demonstrate

Do you have this reported with a track ?

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Do you have this reported with a track ?

It happens to me in the Mi-8 with even heavier crates that should be steadier.

Got no tracks currently.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

It happens to me in the Mi-8 with even heavier crates that should be steadier.

Got no tracks currently.

If you can get a track in SP, would be awesome for a report, I mentioned it to NEWY and he said he will check it out

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• ED Team
Hi there

It's almost impossible

Allow me to demonstrate

If you have a short track replay of the 500lb create behaviour could you send it to me. I will check it out.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Looking for a mate to tag along with

Just recently got into dcs, bought the mig21 and now getting into grips with the multiplayer experience.

I'm looking for a wingman to tag along with for an hour or two in the evenings.

Cheers.

Just recently got into dcs, bought the mig21 and now getting into grips with the multiplayer experience.

I'm looking for a wingman to tag along with for an hour or two in the evenings.

Cheers.

Welcome aboard!

Get on SRS, channel 0 for the MiG-21 and you'll be able to chat with other MiG pilots online.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I'll be away from home until next week, but if you need any pointers with the 21 I'm happy to help. If you see me on the server give me a shout and we can fly together, maybe do some basic orientation/mock combat stuff behind the lines then go on a patrol, like I used to do for when my friends got into Rise of Flight :D