Break X in hud when I run ccip

skoner

From the manual:

HUD Messages

In addition to the standard symbols and messages discussed in this chapter, you may receive other messages in special circumstances. These include:

GCAS Break X

A Break-X symbol is positioned in the center of the HUD and overwrites all other symbology. The Break-X flashes for 2 seconds and is provided under 2 conditions:

• When the aircraft descends below 90’ AGL with the landing gear handle UP
  • When the system determines that, under present flight parameters and radar altitude, an immediately initiated maximum performance roll to wings level and maximum performance pullout will just clear the ground

This symbology is accompanied by a “PULL UP PULL UP” VMU Warning.

This is not a problem to be solved. It's the jet telling you you're getting dangerously low, and it's high time you changed your flight path. :smartass:

Personally, I think this symbology starts on the conservative side of ground impact and a pilot conscious of the flight path and the capabilities of the aircraft may choose to continue for another one or two seconds. But in bad visibility, or with a pilot suffering from a mild case of spacial disorientation, I'd rather not end up on the other side of said ground impact. :D

And ultimately, I believe this message really shouldn't appear at all. A proper attack should never lead the aircraft to these relatively dangerous conditions where ground impact is a matter of one or two seconds. Plus, such a low attack would be rather likely to expose the jet to blast and/or shrapnel damage from its own weapons and the effects they cause.

From the manual:

And ultimately, I believe this message really shouldn't appear at all. A proper attack should never lead the aircraft to these relatively dangerous conditions where ground impact is a matter of one or two seconds. Plus, such a low attack would be rather likely to expose the jet to blast and/or shrapnel damage from its own weapons and the effects they cause.

True. Even when I find myself hemmed in by radar-guided SAMs on one side of a ridge, and IR SAMs and AAA on the other side, the only time the GCAS goes off is when I have made a mistake in maneuvering. Pretty easy to do though when you're hugging the side of a mountain while you egress the target area, jinking to keep from getting shot. In those scenarios, I'm using AGM-65s and the gun. At those altitudes, you definitely don't want to be dropping bombs. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Look into the dsms profile options for min alt and sem (safe escape manoeuvre). These define the safe minimum release parameters, below which you will experience the systems preventing release. Having said that Ive never had a need in mission to adjust these. Better off to adjust your approach or overall tactic.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

These define the safe minimum release parameters, below which you will experience the systems preventing release.

Good point!

But are you sure the IFFCC prevents release once the aircraft is below the minimum safe alt as set in the weapons profile (and calculated by the IFFCC based on SEM)?

I may be wrong, but I believe weapons release is still possible, the pilot will just be given an abort cue and may opt to release anyway.

Weapon release plus solution equals release. There might be warnings but the weapon falls off just the same.

There are lots of reasons to get warnings: fuze time, busting profile min alt, SEM/frag.

GCAS is pretty conservative but I don't think there are any approved delivery methods that commonly coincide with GCAS warnings.