DCS World - An Overview Video

Wags

Well if you look at impressionist paintings from very close, you can see just bunch of colored spots. The beauty comes with distance.

I think a more correct analogy between CGI/texture resolution and techniques of painting would be pointilism. Just being a smartass... ;)

And even if I'm skeptic most of the time, I'm usually waiting to see the results rather that mock something from the very beginning. On the other hand, there are hundreds of gigabytes of photosceneries available for FSX and other sims. You just can't use magic wand to overcome problems that comes with orthoimages. Of course there are some beautiful hi-res sceneries, but there are two problems:

1. Hi-resolution aerial images are usually available only for interesting places like big cities and not for "land of nobody" in the middle of desert.

2. Even if you happen to get hi-res imagery, it will be very large. In FSX there's no problem of having 500GB+ photo sceneries. I remember having Arizona in decent resolution which was 80GB or so. And still it wasn't so sharp as hand-crafted sceneries.

You are probably right about that, but I´ll reserve judgement until more is shown to us. In case of some small islands it might just work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you look at impressionist paintings from very close, you can see just bunch of colored spots. ...

JUST a bunch of colored spots?!

Neiiigh! Blasphemer!

They isn't JUST a bunch of colored spots!

They is a bunch of colored spots where each spot is meticulously placed to form an intimate juxtaposition relative to it's neighbor to create an evocative and delicate ambiance through the catalytic effect of light on perspective ...

I believe the terrain makers experience exactly the same motivation ...

Harrummph! Just imagine the complaints when we hit the post modernist cubist era ... :mad:

DCS Terrain Makers Historical Association tour guide: "yes ... the terrain was INTENTIONALLY flat green ... we like to call it the GREEN period (and it remained green regardless of FL) ... and as you can tell by the vertical placement of the taxiways, that while it was extremely difficult to prosecute a ramp start, it did make a definite statement regarding the effects of selective viewing of phenomena ... moving right along we have ..." :music_whistling:

Edited by Teapot

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

• 3 weeks later...

It's the same video Wags did sir, someone has just downloaded it from YT then hosted it again with a different video name.

Here is the original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKhhHI-wiME

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

As it's mentioning the su27sm .. is that the version that will come with non-beta.... or in a few years? Really like to play around with a few R-77's on that bird! It'll get my mind of the Mig-29s even (for a while)

CPU i7-6700K 4,3Ghz, RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666M 2x16GB, GPU Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 1080, Monitor Benq 24" 1920x1080 @ 144Hz, MB ASUS Z170-A, OS Win 10 Pro (Creators ED), HOTAS X52 Pro, VR Oculus Rift Cv1

• 2 months later...

My point of view

Until someone start focusing on campaign areas and updated maps, I don't think I'll be buying any add ons. New engagement areas are long over due, the fact you only mention Nevada in the video is disappointing, all these great future looking aircraft on the same boring map ... sorry but no thanks.

I'd recommend someone focus on maps, otherwise you the 3rd party people will be missing out on sales.

• 3 weeks later...

All I can say is COOL Man !

DCS is an Excellent provider of The BEST Flight Sims since EA bought out Jane's.

I loved many of the Jane's Sims/Games ... i.e. Longbow, Longbow 2, WW2 Fighters, F/A 18, F 15. Each had it's own learning curve. But I spent MANY hours, days, months playing each, both in Single Player and Multiplayer modes.

When EA bought them out, that only left Microsoft Flight Sim ... which BLOWS regardless of all the maps and airports etc.

DCS is doing an Excellent Job of providing us with extremely detailed and accurate Flight Sims that simply cannot be competed with as far as I know (or care).

Furthermore, with the development of DCS World to bring all of the Modules and their updates into one GUI is brilliant. And the fact that they are constantly Updating which means they are constantly monitoring comments, concerns and (maybe even) complaints, which is more than I can say about MOST Game/Software Producers.

Keep up the excellent work DCS. I have been a supporter for several years now and I'll continue to be a supporter for many years to come.

SnowTiger:joystick:

I loved many of the Jane's Sims/Games ... i.e. Longbow, Longbow 2, WW2 Fighters, F/A 18, F 15. Each had it's own learning curve. But I spent MANY hours, days, months playing each, both in Single Player and Multiplayer modes.

When EA bought them out, that only left Microsoft Flight Sim ...

Wait. What?

EA had a licensing deal to use the Jane's brand. Under this this agreement, they published and funded the development of 20 different Jane's titles.

• Jane's Combat Simulations: US Navy Fighters (1994) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: US Navy Fighters Marine Fighters (1995) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Advanced Tactical Fighters (1996) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Advanced Tactical Fighters - Nato Fighters (1996) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Advanced Tactical Fighters Gold (1996) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: AH-64D Longbow (1996) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: AH-64D Longbow: Flash Point Korea (1996) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: AH-64D Longbow Limited Edition (1996) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Longbow Gold (1997) DOS, Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: U.S. Navy Fighters '97 (1997) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations - 688(I) Hunter/Killer (1997) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Fighters Anthology (1997) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Longbow 2 (1997) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: WWII Fighters (1998) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Longbow Anthology (1998) DOS, Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: F-15 (1998) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Israeli Air Force (1998) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Fleet Command (1999) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: USAF (1999) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: F/A-18 (2000) Windows

It was only after EA walked away from the relationship that the wheels fell off:

• Jane's Combat Simulations: Jane's Attack Squadron (2002) Windows
  • JASF: Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters (2011) Windows

Some additional notes from CJ Martin:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=49612

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Wait. What?

EA had a licensing deal to use the Jane's brand. Under this this agreement, they published and funded the development of 20 different Jane's titles.

• Jane's Combat Simulations: US Navy Fighters (1994) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: US Navy Fighters Marine Fighters (1995) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Advanced Tactical Fighters (1996) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Advanced Tactical Fighters - Nato Fighters (1996) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Advanced Tactical Fighters Gold (1996) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: AH-64D Longbow (1996) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: AH-64D Longbow: Flash Point Korea (1996) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: AH-64D Longbow Limited Edition (1996) DOS
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Longbow Gold (1997) DOS, Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: U.S. Navy Fighters '97 (1997) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations - 688(I) Hunter/Killer (1997) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Fighters Anthology (1997) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Longbow 2 (1997) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: WWII Fighters (1998) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Longbow Anthology (1998) DOS, Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: F-15 (1998) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Israeli Air Force (1998) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Fleet Command (1999) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: USAF (1999) Windows
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: F/A-18 (2000) Windows

It was only after EA walked away from the relationship that the wheels fell off:

• Jane's Combat Simulations: Jane's Attack Squadron (2002) Windows
  • JASF: Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters (2011) Windows

Some additional notes from CJ Martin:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=49612

Ok, need to make some adjustments:

Jane's Combat Simulations: US Navy Fighters (199 4) DOS

Jane's Combat Simulations: US Navy Fighters Marine Fighters (1995 ) DOS

USMF Was an Expansion/Massive Patch for USNF, It seriously finally fixed alot of Issues I had with USNF By Itself.

Jane's Combat Simulations: Advanced Tactical Fighters (1996 ) DOS

Jane's Combat Simulations: Advanced Tactical Fighters - Nato Fighters (1996 ) DOS

Like Above, NATO Fighters was an Expansion/Massive Patch for ATF

Jane's Combat Simulations: Advanced Tactical Fighters Gold (1996 ) DOS

Basically ATF+NATO Exp/Patch All On one CD

Jane's Combat Simulations: AH-64D Longbow (1996 ) DOS

Jane's Combat Simulations: AH-64D Longbow: Flash Point Korea (1996 ) DOS

Jane's Combat Simulations: AH-64D Longbow Limited Edition (1996 ) DOS

Jane's Combat Simulations: Longbow Gold (1997 ) DOS, Windows

Same as Above, Expansions with a lot of bug fixes.

Gold Version was All Expansions Included and re-Coded to use DirectDRAW

Jane's Combat Simulations: U.S. Navy Fighters '97 (1997 ) Windows

USNF + MF Expansion, Recoded to Use DirectDRAW, from VESA Display Driver.

Jane's Combat Simulations - 688(I) Hunter/Killer (1997 ) Windows

Jane's Combat Simulations: Fighters Anthology (1997 ) Windows

Fighters Anthology is exactly as it says, its USNF'97, ATF Gold, ATF NATO Fighters.

From there you have multiple mid-study sims.

Jane's Combat Simulations: Longbow 2 (1997 ) Windows

Jane's Combat Simulations: WWII Fighters (1998 ) Windows

Jane's Combat Simulations: Longbow Anthology (1998 ) DOS, Windows

All of the Longbow Expansions and Patches.

Jane's Combat Simulations: F-15 (1998 ) Windows

Jane's Combat Simulations: Israeli Air Force (1998 ) Windows

Jane's Combat Simulations: Fleet Command (1999 ) Windows

Jane's Combat Simulations: USAF (1999 ) Windows

Jane's Combat Simulations: F/A-18 (2000 ) Windows

I Own them all Except the ones listed below and the post EA/Jane's Era:

Jane's Combat Simulations - 688(I) Hunter/Killer (1997 ) Windows

Jane's Combat Simulations: WWII Fighters (1998 ) Windows

And TBH, USNF, MF, ATF, ATF-NF, LB, LB FPK, all used the same Core engine.

F-15, F-18, USAF, IAF all had different engines.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I wonder if they could manage to squeeze a Harrier on to their "to do list" just for me. I'd be as happy as a pig in poop :holiday:

As regards scenery.... Do you think they will ever reach the stage whereby they are letting 3rd-party outfits commission individual airports, towns and cities? I think it's unrealistic to expect hundreds of square miles of wilderness to be replicated to a high standard. But small areas of importance would be well worthwhile. Check out some of the ORBX sceneries for FSX. Simply outstanding!! I would be very happy indeed to pay for scenery modules of an exacting standard, as well as new planes.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm new to DCS and tried to watched some of the video to learn more about its World, but I had to stop watching half way thru. I get what they were going for with the digital transformation screens. BUT between trying to view the terrain map while the view was going thru acrobatics, and each screenshot changing from digital to viewable made me ill. :(

Yeah, those transitions did not translate to YouTube very well. It's a little better at 1080p but not much.

It's a rather broad subject but if you have specific questions, I am sure one of us can answer them.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's great that there are third party planes in the works; I'm all exited about an F-5E in DCS. My question is this, and I'm fairly new so forgive me if this is a dumb question, can I get more areas to fly in besides around the Caspian Sea, and if so, how/where do I get it?

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

:joystick::pilotfly: