Interview with Leatherneck Studios

Count Sessine

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AIM-54/AWG-9 combo would be interesting to have, also very complex. There's some info in Mike Spick's F-14 book. Anti-bomber mode with lofted trajectory (launching at 13km -> climbing to 31km) and anti-fighter mode (flatter trajectory). Capable of 16G turns if its engine is still firing, but this means firing at shorter ranges.

Regarding tests against violently manoeuvering targets, in one case one AIM-54A was fired against an QF-86 from a range of 9.5nm (17.6km, almost within WVR, and far inside the "minimum" range of Phoenixes). The QF-86 pulled a 6G/174° turn (after the missile was launched) to break the radar lock, but the Phoenix pulled 16Gs and scored a direct hit.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?5831-Simultaneous-attack-with-six-AIM-54As

If its an F14 its gonna be fun to play with AIM 54, however with DCS's infamous missile behavior i doubt many would actually use it in A2A combat( ie. : against anyone who's actively fighting back)

Sure there are many things to improve but maybe against bombers the hit ratio could be ok. If I'm not totally wrong this was also the main purpose for these missiles?

I found a funny Video from ralfidude in which they experimented a bit with these weapons :)

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Personally, I think not the next plane is the problem but the time it will be released. If it's Tomcat... and it's made all by LNS from scratch (it could be a joint venture with a FSX team to "import" one in DCS) it will take a loooong loooooong while... I think...

Anyway... I would like more action around the Mig-21 from LNS... Skins, some fixes, some add-ins... is really quiet here...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I think we won't see any major update until DCS 2.0 is out.

Agree. Since every update is upon collusion with ED I won't expect great changes before 2.0

1.2.14 is just to iron some major bugs out, two of them were introduced in 1.2.12.

I think the ED Team is working like hell to get 2.0 ready for Q1 2015. Meantime the LN dev Team has hopefully merry christmas and some time to work on the cat :megalol:

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree I have my doubts about the F-14 being the next LN project. But what I will say is the F-14 was TARPS capable, up until the final days of the F-14 she was requested to perform recon missions with the TARPS pods because of the resolution of the pictures the cat was able to capture which was better quality than other sources available.

The F-14A and F-14B was capable of carrying the LTS pod. Not only could this designate targets for PGMs but the pods were sometimes used to provide real time imagery of the battlefield during both OIF and OEF. My point being that there is a chance here to provide an alternative mission for DCS gamers. It is possible to provide a working TARPS pod in the simulator although I accept it could be complicated. Ok so if we don't get the D we won't have the JDAM capable CATs but I still think this is a versatile aircraft. As for being a Hollywood jet I had a feeling this would come up. Whilst I admit to falling in love with the tomcat when TOP GUN was released when in was 8 years old. This should not distract from the fact that the Tomcat was a serious mission performer and served the US Navy extremely well during her years of service. Yes she is glamorous but she is also capable of performing the non glamorous jobs and what also appeals to me as well is the Tomcat had her flaws as well. Particularly the A variant. I truly believe she would make for a great DCS module. :)

Tomcats were a capable Multi-Role Aircraft, with a longer ranger than others on the boat.

Bombs on the Cat Produced less drag than other aircraft, because there were mounted con-formally and not on wing pylons.

F-14s were doing A2A, A2G, and RECON before they were announced for Decommissioning.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...