VKB Grip to Black Box direct (bypass base?)

DEG

I'm interested in using a VKB grip on a separate helicopter collective, does anyone know if it's possible to connect the stick direct to the black (orange) box, or are there processing / electronics in the base that need to be in the loop?

I'm intrigued by the new Kosmosima (left hand). It looks like it would do well as a horizontal-oriented grip on my collective lever, as it doesn't appear to have a prominent wrist-rest at the bottom. I've got a set VKB T-Rudder pedals already in my sim, and a Gunfighter MCG Pro on it's way from the Dec 24th batch that came available for a short period. The Black (orange) box with the pedals has an input for a stick, and I'll have a 2nd black box with the Gunfighter when it arrives, so the thought would be to connect the collective grip into that box if it's compatible.

Here's a pic of my current setup using a Fanatec Brake handle, with a cheapo ($17) Av8r handle I wired in to see how well it would work. It was a success, so now I'm considering a higher-end grip.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3742039&postcount=4

Of course all this would be obsoleted if I heard VKB was coming out with a helicopter collective (eg Huey, maybe with a couple extra switches, etc)... :)

Thanks for your input!

Also interested in this -- have a Gunfighter Mk2 with MCG Pro. Would like to fabricobble an adapter between the MCG Pro and a Sidewinder FFB2, for Black Shark (Force trim!). My current plan is to purchase another Gunfighter stick extension and remove the metal tube, running the 3-wire connection from the MCG Pro to the Gunfighter base (while the MCG is physically sitting on the FFB2 stalk). But if there's an easier/simpler way to get my hands on the MCG Pro connector and a pinout for the 4-pin connector on the blackbox, I'll take it!

The Black (orange) box

Would be a better idea to connect K to the pedals black box. Connection itself couldn't be easier: wires are color coded, so just sort them red to red, black to black, etc.

However mechanical part of connecting the grip to the collective lever is not clear to me; I believe you will need an extra cable to run between blackbox and Gunfighter. You will later solder the grip cable to it.

Keep posting pictures as you progress, and we will help you to correctly connect and set up the blackbox.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

Would be a better idea to connect K to the pedals black box. Connection itself couldn't be easier: wires are color coded, so just sort them red to red, black to black, etc.

However mechanical part of connecting the grip to the collective lever is not clear to me; I believe you will need an extra cable to run between blackbox and Gunfighter. You will later solder the grip cable to it.

Keep posting pictures as you progress, and we will help you to correctly connect and set up the blackbox.

By "pedals black box", are you referring to the RJ45 connector that is marked "pedals" on the black box that come with the gunfighter, or a special blackbox version that come with the T-rudders pedals?

I got my GF II and MCG Pro, and the base bypass makes sense now.

Alter - what you note about using the extension should work, you can cut the extension down (eg remove the 'base' end, and that will leave the extension to attach to whatever you need to attach it to (a collective lever in my case). And still have a clean end to attach the grip to.

I'm getting to know the VKBCfg software; the BlackBox sees the grip and the base as 2 separate devices, so the software work to make this function should be pretty straight forward.

UIV - if we order the connector only, does that include the circular 'cap' on the extension, that the grip attaches to? I think that's what I (and Alterstate, I think) would be looking for. Let me know if you want a pic if it's not clear what I mean

The VKB guys have been really helpful on the forum - thanks in advance guys!

Awesome, thanks UIV. Just heard back from someone, but she thought I was asking for the "machine screw + wedges" connector used to hold the grip on the connector.

Do you know the name for the connector we're talking about, in your inventory? I described it as best I could, hoping for better luck now!

Here's a pic of what I'm looking for (feel free to copy!).

vkbconnectors.thumb.JPG.3676c30fe4836a039788c9c0ac916310.JPG

Only need the left connector - the black cap connector on the grip-side of the extension (with wires attached if possible).

Can use a black box extension cable already available from the website to wire into the other end to connect to the black box

Edited by DEG
don't need the 2nd connector (can just buy an extension)

• 4 weeks later...

I might be over-thinking this. From the internal pic on the Kosmosima, there's a PCB-type connector, which I'm guessing is a JST-type or something similar (or easily spliced into), so no need for the grip-connector type.

1ff9073c639ad75d47ea400aa3985b3693b2e97c0d3262006a21ccf3991dfda0.thumb.jpg.d91ec7ebec86ccacd9a5b088910f7573.jpg