El Centro, US Air Show Photos (Large Image Warning)

The U.S. Navy had their 2007 El Centro show on 10 March, displaying a variety of aircraft. El Centro is a fairly small town in the Southern Californian desert, about 120 miles (193km) east of San Diego, and is where the Blue Angels perform their winter training. The El Centro show is traditionally their first show of the year, and they also bring in other performers to round out the show.

No A-10s, F-15s, Frogfoots (Frogfeet?), Flankers or Fulcrums were there, but here's a few shots of mine that I think turned out best:

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_5545.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

IMG_6452.jpg

IMG_6684.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg

IMG_6923.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome Pics man. Wish I could be there. I always like those pics with the Modern jet flying next to a WWII plane.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Hey? Polish old LIMs in USA, how the..?

Thanks for sharing these great photos :)

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

And the Marines are part of the "Blue Angels" as well.... :thumbup:

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Ive said this before...cant believe that no one believed me at the time.

I don't see why they didn't believe you ... I'm sure that they must have seen all of those hour long shows on HD Channel or The Military Channel by now...

I mean even the support C-130 has US Marines painted all over it...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Thanks guys! Yeah, the Marines are definitely part of the Blues - they have at least one Marine pilot, and the Fat Albert C-130 is operated by the Marine Corps. I'm not sure why, but Fat Albert didn't perform during that show.

Thanks guys! Yeah' date=' the Marines are definitely part of the Blues - they have at least one Marine pilot, and the Fat Albert C-130 is operated by the Marine Corps. I'm not sure why, but Fat Albert didn't perform during that show.[/quote']

Fat Albert is/was being repaired at Hill Air Force Base in Utah. There is a grey C-130 that is serving as "his" backup until "Falbie" is done and has a fresh coat of paint. Nice pictures, also saw your stuff on FenceCheck. Looks like the weather was decent as always down in the imperial valley!

Rhino

Rhino2007VBA_sig.jpg

Thanks Frazer! I'm using a Canon 20D with a Canon 100-400 L 4.5-5.6 IS USM lens.

And yeah, I saw a spot or two that I missed, but it seems like I clean the sensor and after a few zoom adjustments the lens has blown more dust onto the sensor again, so I just try to keep it from getting too bad, then try to clone out what's left in PS. I'm looking forward to one day getting one of those cameras that clean the sensor at startup.

Yes the Migs do look good ... I mean I thought that they were actually screen shots from a simulator at first, as they're so clean... But at closer inspection I now can see some very nice detail...

Some really good shots.. I'm now seriously consider getting a camera that good, but of course I'm still going to have to learn how to use it...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Thanks Rogerdat, I used a Canon 20D with a 100-400mm zoom lens.

Iguana, how easily can you catch fast action with that Nikon? I've got a Canon S2 IS, which is a bit older, and I can do OK with it, but my digital SLR has two areas that typically make it much easier for me when shooting this kind of stuff - lenses and general responsiveness.

The responsiveness is the biggie, though, because some of the point-and-shoots come with some pretty good glass. dSLRs typically focus much faster, and don't have as much shutter lag (the time between pressing the shutter release and the picture actually being taken). They also usually start up and recycle faster, so I'm less likely to miss any fast moving action.

Both Nikon and Canon have good entry-level dSLRs at pretty good prices, but it's the lenses that will kill you. That's what makes the 8800 so appealing - you get a 10x Vibration Reduced (VR - same as IS in Canon parlance) lens attached to a 8MP camera, ready to roll.

You can actually buy a new Nikon or Canon dSLR for less money than the 8800, and while it may include a lens, it won't come with a VR/IS lens. Depending on the model and package, you can get a Canon or Nikon entry-level dSLR for under $600US, but to get a VR/IS zoom lens that matches the 8800, you're looking at another $1000-$1500, unless you go used.