I suck at AAR

shaHeen-1

I find the JF the easiest plane to AAR second to the F18.

M2000 has a super twitchy FCS, F-14 loves to shake and I overcorrect alot, Harrier is a big nope, the Flanker is as twitchy as the F-14 plus the FCS loves doing its own thing and AL-31s tend to spool asymmetrically. F15 and A10 are ok.

JF and Hornet are a dream to refuel IMO.

I think the Jeff is easier to refuel than the Harrier (the only other plane I have refueled) :

- use the Attitude control when you are aligned with the wing of the tanker (a bit lower than it to avoid turbulences)

- put the basket in the upper right part of your HUD glass, and when it's as big as the glass, put it just to the right of the glass.

- anticipiate your throttle inputs 1 to 2 seconds ahead.

The attitude control helps a lot keeping in a straight line, but the engine is slow to "answer".

Fun fact : the Harrier has the opposite problem, it's easy to keep up to speed with the tanker but hard to stay stable.

Hello,

Thanks to everyone for all the tips, I’m trying out all of them, flying 3-4 practice flights per day, tough making contact with the basket still eludes me :cry:

My JF17 curves are only 5 for both pitch and roll.

For AAR, do your best to relax your grip...

I’ve tried several values for the curves, tough I still haven’t found a value that suits me for AAR .. for everything else, no curves works perfect for me. Relax my grip is very hard to achieve because the Cougar has very stiff springs :cry:

Jeff is harder to refuel than any plane maverick flies. Hitting the basket is actually a lot more about fine throttle control than the joystick. And Jeff has a slow spooling engine so it requires even smoother throttle control otherwise it will easily over speed or lag.

Yes, it’s real hard to get acceptable response from this engine :(

It took me a while to figure out you need to push the basket in a bit to make some slack

Thanks for the tip, will remember it if I ever get to contact the basket :thumbup:

I find the JF the easiest plane to AAR second to the F18...

Wow, then I will never try AAR on any other aircraft .. I’m doing it now only because I want to succeed at my own Practice Mission :)

- use the Attitude control when you are aligned with the wing of the tanker (a bit lower than it to avoid turbulences)

- put the basket in the upper right part of your HUD glass, and when it's as big as the glass, put it just to the right of the glass.

- anticipiate your throttle inputs 1 to 2 seconds ahead.

The attitude control helps a lot keeping in a straight line, but the engine is slow to "answer".

Thanks for the tips, I will certainly try them :thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB