HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Where? Apart from one guy on Reddit, I’m struggling to see anything on this.

Also, I’m struggling to see how this is ‘proven’ by changing a parameter in a SteamVR settings file. What if you don’t use SteamVR?

I’m not convinced about this on the Reverb.

I think there would be a huge amount of people complaining if their res had been halved in a Windows update! All WMR headsets would be affected.

I'm not here to debate the matter. It's a WMR setting. So Vive users wouldn't see a thing. Nor would P5K+ users. But if you don't think it's a thing, then no worries. Doesn't hurt anyone.

I myself will be booting into two different versions of Windows just to see. I'm one of those Trust but Verify types.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm not here to debate the matter. It's a WMR setting. So Vive users wouldn't see a thing. Nor would P5K+ users. But if you don't think it's a thing, then no worries. Doesn't hurt anyone.

I myself will be booting into two different versions of Windows just to see. I'm one of those Trust but Verify types.

No one is talking about Vive. We are talking about WMR headsets including the Reverb. All I am saying is that I couldn’t see this ‘bug’ on my Reverb. The res couldn’t have been much higher and definitely higher than my VP at a reasonable SS value.

As I said, apart from that one Reddit guy, I can’t see anything online about this, and thousands of people would be moaning if their WMR devices had all of a sudden lost their res.

It’ll be interesting to hear of your tests.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yep, the bug exists for the Reverb on 1903:

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/vr-news-hp-reverb-second-gen-headsets-are-on-the-way/8165/402

It's only really apparent on high super sampled values, for people trying to get cockpit like clarity with a native res like 212% on the O+ or 188% on the Reverb. I wouldn't be surprised if people are sending their units back without ever really seeing them work properly, which is dumb of Microsoft to let this go on so long.

As I said, apart from that one Reddit guy, I can’t see anything online about this, and thousands of people would be moaning if their WMR devices had all of a sudden lost their res.

It is a bug and it does exists for all wmr sets.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/discussions/0/1651045226218511368/

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

It is a bug and it does exists for all wmr sets.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/discussions/0/1651045226218511368/

That’s the same thread that is mentioned all the time here. That Reddit thread (linked to in the Steam one) and a mention in Mudspike is all I can see about this.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Don't worry about it, just return the Reverb and move on is my advice.

Haha! I'm not worrying about it, I'm just not convinced by it at all. But, I've been wrong many times before!

Haha! I'm not worrying about it, I'm just not convinced by it at all. But, I've been wrong many times before!

The only way to prove it to yourself would be to have Win10 1809 and 1903 and do the comparison like we did already. If you don't have that and have healthy skepticism or a fear that other are simply not telling you the truth (for, um, reasons) then I think you're out of luck.

I personally don't think it impacts the Reverb a lot, and is mainly a O+ issue. Even then, I think the majority of Odyssey and WMR users probably don't run it near native resolution anyway, so aren't that bothered. Sort of a niche within a niche.

Yep, the bug exists for the Reverb on 1903:

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/vr-news-hp-reverb-second-gen-headsets-are-on-the-way/8165/402

It's only really apparent on high super sampled values, for people trying to get cockpit like clarity with a native res like 212% on the O+ or 188% on the Reverb. I wouldn't be surprised if people are sending their units back without ever really seeing them work properly, which is dumb of Microsoft to let this go on so long.

Why would the Reverb need that high of super-sampling value?

I thought it had the best resolution of them all currently.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Out of interest guys, when I was talking to HP Support today, the guy was saying that they were working on various modifications to the Reverb in the light of the flickering screen and audio cutting out issues. He said he had no idea at what point any changes will be made. (I guess that is obvious)!

We can probably take it with a grain of salt, but he did recognise the issues I was discussing with him.

The properties of a screenshot with the Reverb are interesting. :unsure: Anyone know where it gets that resolution from? The headset itself? I am on 1903. It is surprising if the great clarity I am seeing is dumbed down because of a bug but I have been surprised before.

q4DD7qX.jpg

I have tried this at 180, 188, 190, and 250 with little noticeable difference except at 250 there is a performance drop w/o a noticable display change.

txbUzIu.jpg

DtQz310.png

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

I was running my Reverb at 300% SteamVR SS and 1.0 PD and happily getting a solid 45fps.

The thing is, if you stick to native res with no SS, then you can already see higher (effective) res on the VP or O+ with appropriate SS/PD settings. So, the Reverb needs to go higher.

Anyway, if you have the headroom, use it!

Edited by imacken

WMR headsets on SteamVR SS don't take into account the distortion warp, so put simply, they don't line up with the exact panel native resolution on the SteamVR slider, you need to set it higher if you want clear pixels in the middle for stuff like DCS.

Lots of previous stuff around resolution here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3944936#post3944936

Plus stuff on how reprojection in WMR works here (not relevant to your question, but handy anyway):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3945739#post3945739

I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I think that's just a WMR/SteamVR thing where the default rendering (100%) of external applications is below what the Reverb is capable of. I have mine set to 180%, with 1.0 PD in DCS and all is well. I just bumped the slider up to get a resolution value that didn't exceed 2160 in either dimension, and that ended up being 180%.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Out of interest guys, when I was talking to HP Support today, the guy was saying that they were working on various modifications to the Reverb in the light of the flickering screen and audio cutting out issues. He said he had no idea at what point any changes will be made. (I guess that is obvious)!

We can probably take it with a grain of salt, but he did recognise the issues I was discussing with him.

A lof the issues sounds like similar ones to the Rift USB power drain (and again with the Rift S) where not enough juice is going through the USB 3.0 port. I wonder if they are going to redesign that cable connector and perhaps look at an external power supply now? Some people are claiming to have success with the Reverb with a PCI-E powered USB card, rather than their motherboard - sort of pointing at a power issue.

Edited by fearlessfrog

Back in the early VR days (Rift DK2 that is), because of the lower resolution at that time, my impression on world looking through VR is like not having glasses on in reality.

How does that look like now? with current boosted resolution.

Is it still a problem? Im seeing people still having have to go through the dance like supersampling and other stuff to make the image look better.

Is it comparable to full HD 24inch monitor with TrackIR now or not "there" yet?

Request for my settings

* First a have an overclock on CPU and GPU!

* When i purchased the reverb i go to the windows build 1903! All updates installed.

* Latest driver from nvidia installed

* When i play DCS i close as many background programs!

* I installed the reverb and there was 'the mixed reality portal'

* From steam i installed windows mixed reality for steamvr

* From steam i installed steamvr

* From internet i installed "advanced settings openvr"

* Steamvr setting video manual resolution '200 %'

* Open "advanced settings openvr"

* steamvr settings: application supersampling 2.0

* check enable supersampling override

* check enable motion smoothing

* restart steamvr and ready.

dcs settings

[ATTACH]212150[/ATTACH]

Last setting PD 1.0

:D

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

:cry:

Back in the early VR days (Rift DK2 that is), because of the lower resolution at that time, my impression on world looking through VR is like not having glasses on in reality.

Is it still a problem? Im seeing people still having have to go through the dance like supersampling and other stuff to make the image look better.

If you have the F14, take a look at the climb indicator. Lean forward may be 20cm from your normal seated position and read the "climb x1000" text on the dial. This is the resolution Reverb is giving. You cannot quite read that small text from seated normally, but you can if you lean forward slightly.

All the placards in the cockpit, including landing checklist are perfectly clear, apart from the caution panel lights. They are problematic.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

With the Reverb I am matching the headset resolution now in SteamVR and PD is 1.0 for best clarity (no additional SS). I agree that is similar to looking at an HD monitor from a few feet away which some of the reviewers are saying. Very clear but if you concentrate you can barely make out the very tiny pixels. SDE is gone. For me besides clarity the other huge improvement is sweet spot (its the greater majority of the screen now) but I hear that varies with IPD. Mine is 64 mm.

My Lenovo Explorer (1440 x 1440) has SDE and is fuzzy by comparison (as you are saying looking w/o your glasses). For me the sweet spot on the Lenovo is maybe 70% of the Reverb. It may just seem so much bigger because it is so clear. I have been switching them back and forth a few times and the difference is remarkable. Spotting things at distance and clarity at night is a huge improvement as well. The Lenovo is still a good backup and good for when sweaty friends visit. I would not want to have to go back to TrackIR now. You are "in" the aircraft with the Reverb.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Dumb question for WMR guys. How do you revert from 1903 to 1803?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Dumb question for WMR guys. How do you revert from 1903 to 1803?

It depends! :D Don't they always.

If you've done the normal upgrade from 1803, you can hit WINDOWS+i

to get to the SETTINGS menu. On the bottom, you'll see Update & Security. Click on htat.

On the Left you'll see Recovery. Click on that.

I am a backup fiend, so I just went back to end of April image that I have. I couldn't roll back anyway because I delete the files needed to roll back.

But of course, if you roll back, you have to reapply the update. I do believe Windows clears out the "ability to go back" after a certain amount of time, but I"m not 100% positive what that duration is.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You can change their new default of 10 days to do a roll back so the local files aren't deleted automagically from the last version. IMO they should have left it at 30 days. You can also pause updates.

https://www.intowindows.com/go-back-to-previous-version-of-windows-10-after-10-days/

Edited by Secoda

well this would be for a new install. Can I download 1803 instead of the latest greatest?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).