HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset - Page 76 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #751
p1t1o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Except that the Reverb uses Square/circle Sqircle lenses. So no one really knows how much wasted pixel space there is. Same thing really for the Index, no one knows anything about the double lens design, aside from the fact it produces terrible god rays.
To be fair, it is also reported to have no fresnel-ring-aberrations.
p1t1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #752
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1t1o View Post
To be fair, it is also reported to have no fresnel-ring-aberrations.
The Index?
Old 05-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #753
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Source?
I forget the actual review, but it was one of the first ones out (maybe road to VR). Who knows, no one else mentioned it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

There is also this on the resolution front... (ars review)

"The Valve Index isn't there yet. Instead, it's now hovering just above the HTC Vive Pro in terms of legibility—you can read text on a bumper sticker roughly ten virtual feet away, or a large font on a piece of paper in your virtual hand. If text appears any smaller than that, the Index will leave you looking through blurry pixels."
Old 05-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #754
imacken

Quote:
I forget the actual review, but it was one of the first ones out (maybe road to VR). Who knows, no one else mentioned it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

There is also this on the resolution front... (ars review)

"The Valve Index isn't there yet. Instead, it's now hovering just above the HTC Vive Pro in terms of legibility—you can read text on a bumper sticker roughly ten virtual feet away, or a large font on a piece of paper in your virtual hand. If text appears any smaller than that, the Index will leave you looking through blurry pixels."
To be honest, I would say it is irresponsible to make comments like the Index has ‘terrible god rays’ when anything I read suggests the opposite. However, we still are very short on any real hands-on reviews.
Intel i7 8700 4.8GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #755
Harlikwin

I recall it was in the first detailed review of it that I read and it really stood out to me. It wouldn't surprise me, every headset manufacturer has cheaped out on AR lens coatings AFAIK.

Here ya go. From the reviewers mouth. It may or may not be that bad since other reviews haven't commented on it or only bad in some situations.

"While Valve’s dual-element optics might be focused on a wide field of view and large sweet spot, it seems to have come at the cost of an increase in internal reflections (god rays). Moderately high contrast scenes cause significant glare which unfortunately detracts from the other benefits in clarity."

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index...-vr-headset/2/
Old 05-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #756
imacken

I guess it's all speculation really at this stage.
One thing I will say, however, is that your quote from Ars Technica was comparing to the Vive Pro. Now, the first thing that amazed me when I replaced my Rift with a Vive Pro was the HUGE difference in text readability. Those 80% extra pixels really made a big difference.
So, saying that the Index was ahead of that will be a big boost to any Rift or Vive users.
I've always said that I am perfectly happy with the resolution of the Vive Pro, it's the SDE and sweet spot size that I would like to see hugely improved.
Intel i7 8700 4.8GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro
Old 05-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #757
Harlikwin

Quote:
I guess it's all speculation really at this stage.
One thing I will say, however, is that your quote from Ars Technica was comparing to the Vive Pro. Now, the first thing that amazed me when I replaced my Rift with a Vive Pro was the HUGE difference in text readability. Those 80% extra pixels really made a big difference.
So, saying that the Index was ahead of that will be a big boost to any Rift or Vive users.
I've always said that I am perfectly happy with the resolution of the Vive Pro, it's the SDE and sweet spot size that I would like to see hugely improved.
Fair enough. I guess what stands out to me is that they aren't wowing about the "clarity" like folks are about the reverb. Given the transition to LCD's it will have way more subpixels so in a way it sort of surprised me that they claimed it wasn't all that much better.

As for me, I'm coming from a CV1 so whatever I end up with will be better even a rift-S.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #758
boedha68

Quote:
Fair enough. I guess what stands out to me is that they aren't wowing about the "clarity" like folks are about the reverb. Given the transition to LCD's it will have way more subpixels so in a way it sort of surprised me that they claimed it wasn't all that much better.

As for me, I'm coming from a CV1 so whatever I end up with will be better even a rift-S.
+1
Old 05-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #759
imacken

Quote:

Not sure that's true. Most 'reviews' are talking about the clarity, increased FOV, sweet spot, etc.
However, all these 'reviews' are almost the same. I'm guessing that most of them have not tried the headset, and the others probably had a few minutes with a Valve sales guy talking in their heads!
Like we've said many times, let's wait on hands-on reviews from some respected people rather than speculate.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #760
Harlikwin

Quote:
Like we've said many times, let's wait on hands-on reviews from some respected people rather than speculate.
Yeah, we need swedeviewer(sp?) or that other youtuber guy to do some side-by-side's of all the headsets.