To Chizh or anyone else involved in development

Hi Chizh,

First off, this is not a rant or a complaint, just a plea from a single individual who doesn't even claim to have the support of any other member in this forum (although there might be some! :D ). So, all wanna-be's software developers and the like, please, spare me.

Since the English forum was opened, I come here often since I understand this is the *true* home for all things LOMAC from now on. Most of my time is spent lurking around, trying to gather knowledge and enjoy my time.

I understand ED is a Russian software house (and takes great pride on it!) and now that it is going solo, there is a natural tendency to leaning more and more towards the Russian market. Unfortunately, this is happening a bit in detriment of the rest of the world. I am a huge fan of the whole Flanker series, since day one, and always fought my small battle to make it as a big hit as it could possibly be. I even played a small part in the release of Flanker 2 in Brazil (I believe Carl Norman could atest to that, right Carl? :wink: )

Anyways, what I am trying to say is that the only thing I would rank as a downgrade since Ubi times is the kind of interaction between the community and someone representing the devs. I guess I got accostumed to the luxury of having Carl or Matt as a regular presence in the forum...

I totally understand that now, as a "smaller shop", or at least without having the "support" of a big publisher, ED has to maximize its resources, namely human resources. In no way am I asking ED to take someone out of the production chain to come here and spend time babbling with all of us, but a more frequent presence would be greatly appreciated and surely work for a broader, happier customer base this side of the Greenwich.

A simple fact to back up my plea is the fact that if one ignores all the Russian areas, keeping only the "LockOn Rus" and searches for posts you specifically have written, the number would amount to 554 posts while in the approximately same period, the English counterpart received mere 38 posts...

So, by all means, keep doing your stuff!!! But when you have some time to spare, it would be great if you and others from ED could share a little bit more with us, the infamous non-Russian speaking supporters of LOMAC.

Keep up the great work!

FlyHigh and Check Six!

Muttley, out.

It's not the quantity, it's the quality. :D

-SK

Hey SwingKid,

I agree with you... partially... to me, everything in life is *balance*! Even quality I want in a nice quantity. :wink:

The only "bad" thing implied by your statement is that if Chizh's 38 messages in the English forum are quality filled (since that's what matters according to you), does that mean he is (sorry) BSing on the Russian forum??? :shock: I don't think so... Even not understanding a single word in Russian, my guess is that his other 554 messages are probably very interesting...

If this thread goes unnoticed, I'll be happier than if it, as others before it, becomes a series of posts of LOMAC fans discussing what if's instead of hearing directly from the devs.

FlyHigh and Check Six!

Muttley, out.

I guess english is a universal language too :twisted: lol! No mean to offend intended. :)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

The only "bad" thing implied by your statement is that if Chizh's 38 messages in the English forum are quality filled (since that's what matters according to you), does that mean he is (sorry) BSing on the Russian forum??? :shock:

As a participant in both forums, I can assure that there is a lot of "it will be ready when it's ready," "happy birthday to me" and "if you don't stop flaming each other you will both be banned" idle chit-chat in the Russian forums that make up for some of the numerical difference you have observed - it is not the treasure trove of revealed secrets that your quoted numbers would make it appear. :) On the other hand when ED devs do take the time and effort to translate into English, it's for sure going to be only for a much more interesting discussion. Hence "quality over quantity".

In general, I find that the language barrier acts as a noise filter more than anything else. It's like that joke - "if a bullet cost five thousand dollars, there would be no unintended victims." Even if someone tells me the worst insult in the Russian forum, there can be no flamewar - first because the novelty of a Russian insult is too interesting to realy offend me, and second because the effort to translate a reply is too great.

That's not to say there aren't any interesting discussions there... By all means I encourage you to use an online translator and have a read. Don't take my word for it, it's easy for me to be casual about it when I can actually read both anyway. But to say there is a balance of attention problem from ED - I can't agree, our forum is read with equal attention, it is only the replies that are more selective, by necessity. I also give about equal attention to the Russian and English forums, but since the English forum opened up I write most of my replies here. And IMHO, the most interesting discussions of all in the Russian forum are not interesting because of ED devs participating, but rather because of interesting community members, just as we have here.

To be honest, I am writing this entire message as a sort of confession. Although these days I respond more often here in our English forum - on the few occassions when I take the time to reply in a Russian thread, I think that is really my best writing, precisely because I won't respond to just anything. You guys get more of me than they do, but they are getting the better part. Look at everything I have written here! And not one word about Lock On, dynamic campaigns or aircraft systems! So I suspect Chizh and other ED devs have similar guilty emotions and fondness for us, over the Russian forum, and must only smile at a discussion like this.

Actually, I have seen Chizh reply in both forums and know this is true - you should see all the nice things he says to them about you guys! "I never have to put up with this crap in the English forum..." :D

-SK

Muttley, you want developers chatting in forums or developing LO? ;)

may be you are interested in developers opinion about weather, music or daily news? ;)

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic2354_5.gif[/sigpic]

LMAO, that was a bit harsh Dmut....

Anyway, Muttley, Swingkid put it rather well, but also there is othr perfectly logical explanation of so many posts in Russian forums... English forums have been open only for couple of months. Russian forums have been opened for a couple of years.... So... Can you see my point?

The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.

BIOLOG,

Yes, I see your point, but I believe (not sure, of course) the difference is measured in months, not years. That's I used the word "approximately" in my original message. But thanks for your comments anyways. :)

Dmut,

It seems you missed that part when I asked all the wannabe software developers to spare me, right?

FlyHigh and Check Six!

Muttley, out.

Hi Muttley,

Chizh is moderator on the Russian forum, so I think alot of his posts there has to do with that :) .

However, I am sure he reads through this section frequently - besides, there are other people from the development team(although they dont always indicate that they are) writing here as well :)

Anyway, as I am sure you can appreciate, the developers have alot of things to attend to with Lock-on 1.1 nearing release, so if you have any specific questions in regards to this, you can address them to the Beta testers and we will do our best to answer them......or get the answer for you in case we dont know ourselves :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

you can address them to the Beta testers and we will do our best to answer them......or get the answer for you in case we dont know ourselves :)

Thanks a lot Alfa! It's really nice to see someone with a positive attitude!

Since you offered, I'll gladly accept your help. One thing that has been bugging me a lot is about LOMAC and SLI. I am waiting on the devs position to make a buying decision.

A direct yes or no will do it. If no, or maybe, some background info would be appreciated, if possible.

It seems, I'm not the only one interested in this subject:

SLI and LOMAC 1

SLI and LOMAC 2

Thanks for your efforts,

FlyHigh and Check Six!

Muttley, out.

One thing that has been bugging me a lot is about LOMAC and SLI. I am waiting on the devs position to make a buying decision.

A direct yes or no will do it. If no, or maybe, some background info would be appreciated, if possible.

An interesting question.....but one I am afraid I am not qualified to answer.

I am myself in the process of buying a new system, so I can relate you your considerations :) . The system I ordered comes with two PCI-E slots and a pre-installed "SLI ready" 6600GT card...... meaning that I can just configure it in SLI by installing an extra card at a later point, if it turns out that such a configuration would benefit Lock-on performance.

But to be honest, I dont think SLI will do much in connection with Lock-on....a single 6800GT or 6600GT card should be quite capable of handling Lock-on in all its glory......so I think you are more likely to be limited by CPU power than GPU ditto :)

But I will ask around and get back to you on the issue of SLI/Lock-on.

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Please don't take it personally when questions about frame rates, hardware or new graphics technology don't get a satisfactory reply. The fact is, no amount of answering such questions can ever suffice - there are always new users with the same questions, and always new hardware being announced, making any previously given answers obsolete or inaccurate. The programmers themselves are always learning new things and unlikely to know what they will come up with tomorrow.

ED learned a lesson the hard way with Flanker 2.0 - for years they developed it on OpenGL, only to have to switch to DirectX at the last minute and release a very rushed product. The results were not desirable.

Since then, ED has done a remarkably better job adapting to changes in graphics technology, but it's such an ever-changing field that it isn't wise for them to commit any plans in writing. If you are buying into this technology to work with software that hasn't been released yet, my advice is - don't. Wait until after release. Even as a beta-tester, I was twice convinced that Lock On was on the verge of release and advised my friends to buy certain video cards to work best with it - only to have that not be the best choice anymore by the time the sim was finally released. Quote me on this - no matter who, a developer, beta-tester, God, anybody - tells you that this or that graphics hardware "will" or "will not" be supported by some piece of software in the future - don't believe it until after release.

Hope this helps,

-SK

Thanks a lot Alfa and SwingKid, I appreciate both your posts.

The only comment I'll make to round this up is that what you both said will hopefully be useful to lots of people. People who's not around for a long time. Being around this very dilemma posed by sims to us for over 11 years now, I've learned my lessons.

The only point I do not agree totally with is that SLI is one of those constant evolutions... stuff we see every 6 months or so. In my opinion, it is not! SLI, when first introduced by 3DFX, was a great leap. SLI reintroduced by nVidia today is, again, a great leap. Marketing and production wise (and I've had my share of business management), it is not the kind of technology I would look at as just "another one", if I were on ED's shoes.

But... I'm not. So, as someone I know used to say, we have two options: we wait or... we wait.

Thanks,

FlyHigh and Check Six!

Muttley, out.

I'm planning to buy SLI mobo when I will upgrade, but that will only happen in 2-3 years... Probably will know whether it works or not by that time :D

BIOLOG, you fool!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FlyHigh and Check Six!

Muttley, out.