F-8 Crusader - Page 23 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-11-2020, 11:27 PM   #221
AG-51_Razor

Is M3 planning to make an angled deck Essex class carrier? I seem to recall reading about this some time ago but I am afraid that I may be confusing this with the proposed Essex class coming from the Community A-4 project. I really hope not!!
Old 01-12-2020, 06:36 AM   #222
SgtPappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromachi View Post
I have found basic documentation describing it. Looks like AN/APR-25 system with strobes indicating threat however it does not have separate indicator like the one mounted for AN/APR-25 in F-4B / F-4J post 1966 - 1967. It's using radar screen as a display. And yes, Im pretty sure those changes were incorporated prior to 1972. A 1969 Supplemental NATOPS Flight Manual indicates them along with installation of AN/APR-27 sound warning, AN/ALQ-100 ECM, AN/ALE-29A Chaff and flare dispenser and introduction of SEAM.
Hey that's awesome news! I had no idea the Crusader had this capability at all. Sounds like the radar screen would have to be switched between a warning mode and combat modes. Not too detrimental as the radar screen would primarily be only used for night flying and the use of SEAM on the AIM-9G.

Sometimes the things you learn from researching them makes flying them that much more fun.
SgtPappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #223
Hiromachi

Actually no, you can combine the two, so that RWR works in background. It's not perfect but as manual states: "If the pilot desires full-time use of the azimuth-range indicator for the airplane radar, yet wants an immediate line-of-bearing display for emergency threat conditions, he can select override mode. With the override switch in ON, the azimuth-range indicator does not present threat lines of bearing unless a missile launch threat is received from the APR-27 receiver. When this condition occurs, the azimuth-range indicator reverts to a lines-of-bearing display, presenting lines of bearing to the emergency threats."
AMD Ryzen 3900X @ 4.6 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / GTX 1080Ti @ 2010 Mhz core / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / Philips Momentum 436M6VBPAB/00 4K Quantum Dot HDR Monitor / VIRPIL T-50CM / MFG Crosswinds / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic110693_1.gif
Hiromachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #224
SgtPappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromachi View Post
Actually no, you can combine the two, so that RWR works in background. It's not perfect but as manual states: "If the pilot desires full-time use of the azimuth-range indicator for the airplane radar, yet wants an immediate line-of-bearing display for emergency threat conditions, he can select override mode. With the override switch in ON, the azimuth-range indicator does not present threat lines of bearing unless a missile launch threat is received from the APR-27 receiver. When this condition occurs, the azimuth-range indicator reverts to a lines-of-bearing display, presenting lines of bearing to the emergency threats."
This is incredible. I am only getting more hyped for your Crusader! Any chance you can share these documents with us? I'd like to learn more but I understand if you can't since if it's paid for or you have an NDA.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:23 PM   #225
jackson2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPappy View Post
This is incredible. I am only getting more hyped for your Crusader! Any chance you can share these documents with us? I'd like to learn more but I understand if you can't since if it's paid for or you have an NDA.
No you're not the only one, I'm just pumped for this incredible aircraft! Also, is there a general time frame we can expect? i.e. 1 year, or 2 years?
jackson2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #226
MiG21bisFishbedL

Move MiG. For great justice. You know what you doing. Take off every MiG.
CH Combatstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals
MiG21bisFishbedL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #227
SgtPappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson2003 View Post
No you're not the only one, I'm just pumped for this incredible aircraft! Also, is there a general time frame we can expect? i.e. 1 year, or 2 years?
It was stated by Hiromachi in this thread or another that no time frame can be offered at this time. It is still very early.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:44 PM   #228
jackson2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG21bisFishbedL View Post

Thanks for the gold mine of F-8 footage, really appreciate it
Old 01-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #229
jackson2003

https://youtu.be/OpgIfQxqIvU

F-8 training video, can't wait to see how much from the video will be applicable to the DCS model
Old 01-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #230
Hummingbird
Veteran

F-8 pulls off quite some alpha in some of those vids! Also had a look at a Vne chart for it recently, and it's gonna be an excellent dogfighter for the cold war servers.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote