Grumman TBF Avenger

Cunctator

TBF/TBM Avenger: As AI eventually a must have, but it would also be very interesting as flyable module. While the upcoming F4U-1D is already very potent in the ground attack role and a decent dive bomber, the Avenger would add so many more possibilities: torpedoes, a bombsight for level bombing and in late aircraft even surface search radars.

Hopefully there is no need for an extensive introduction here. A 3 seated carrier based attacker, maybe best called a single engine medium bomber. An extremely versatile and important aircraft that could carry almost the entire arsenal of ground attack weapons, widely used even after WW2. A torpedo, various bombs up to a 2000 pounder or a 1600 pound AP bomb internally, depth charges, rockets. Good defensive armament, especially the hydraulically operated turret, very uncommon for an aircraft of it’s size.

Edited by Cunctator
  • Like 2

First, we need something to torpedo.

• Like 1

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

I'm sure naval assets will come. But apparently the commemorative airforce has three three of them and you can buy a ride in one. I'm sure they'd be a great resource for data.

Doing some more reading they have a truly impressive collection including a suprising amount of still flying Japanese WWII planes.

Edited by Jester986

Awesome! I hope we get the chance to fly it in DCS. Off topic but I also hope we get an S-55/H-19 someday because my grandfather flew those in Korea.

There is a skin pack available for the Mi-8 that has a "heritage" skin of Korean war era paint scheme which is really nice! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

I hope whoever pursues this module doesn't run into a roadblock as far as permissions from Grumman to bring it into DCS. I recall them shutting it down for the IL2 Pacific Fighters. I was sooo looking forward to this plane and I still do. Hopefully Grumman wont step on our wishes. We do have the F-14 so I am hopeful even more today.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Back then when the DCS F-14 was first announced, one of the Leatherneck devs (before the Split) said that they had no problems acquiring a license from Northrop Grumman with reasonable conditions. Thus whatever went wrong with Pacific Fighters in 2004 does not seem to be of any relevance today.

Back then when the DCS F-14 was first announced, one of the Leatherneck devs (before the Split) said that they had no problems acquiring a license from Northrop Grumman with reasonable conditions. Thus whatever went wrong with Pacific Fighters in 2004 does not seem to be of any relevance today.

Sounds like things are on the up and up then a third party wishes to pursue.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:thumbup:+1

love to see this someday, a nice addition for carrier ops and with all the new ships added, would be a blast to fly and return to carrier with the flattop full of corsairs.;)

⁼ЅϮгаίϱϦϮеϗ цр, ϜІу ГϊϱϦϮ⁼

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+Bump!

done right, i'd luv to see this plane flyable it is a unique craft with carrier landings. attacking ships, subs and coastal cities etc. then returning to pitching carrier..awesome!

⁼ЅϮгаίϱϦϮеϗ цр, ϜІу ГϊϱϦϮ⁼