Upgraded CPU, now modules won't activate - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
SnorreSelmer

Reputation power: 4
SnorreSelmer has a spectacular aura aboutSnorreSelmer has a spectacular aura aboutSnorreSelmer has a spectacular aura aboutSnorreSelmer has a spectacular aura aboutSnorreSelmer has a spectacular aura about
Angry Upgraded CPU, now modules won't activate

The short version:
I upgraded my i5 6600K to an i7 7700, and DCS wants me to activate the modules again because of hardware changes.

This is expected, this is fine.

What's NOT fine is that when I go through the activation process, I click "OK" at the end, and the activation application hangs for ~30 seconds and silently dumps to desktop with no error. When I run DCS again, it asks me (again) to activate the modules I just manually ran the activation for.

Is my only option to do a clean Windows reinstall to get out of this endless loop of unhelpfulness?
I'm on my last activation on several modules, so I'd like to avoid this in case I need to wait for 30 days to get to fly some modules.

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF
SnorreSelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #2
ApoNOOB

Reputation power: 8
ApoNOOB has a spectacular aura aboutApoNOOB has a spectacular aura aboutApoNOOB has a spectacular aura aboutApoNOOB has a spectacular aura aboutApoNOOB has a spectacular aura about

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...pport/faq/564/ see registry fixes, sounds like that

Also try activation without starting dcs in the relevant module folders under /bin.
ApoNOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
SnorreSelmer

SnorreSelmer has a spectacular aura aboutSnorreSelmer has a spectacular aura aboutSnorreSelmer has a spectacular aura aboutSnorreSelmer has a spectacular aura aboutSnorreSelmer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoNOOB View Post
Also try activation without starting dcs in the relevant module folders under /bin.
I already tried that, but I'll try the registry fixes, then do another round of "manual" activations.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
Johnny_Rico

Reputation power: 2
Johnny_Rico has a spectacular aura aboutJohnny_Rico has a spectacular aura aboutJohnny_Rico has a spectacular aura aboutJohnny_Rico has a spectacular aura about

you are running this as admin ?

Cannot Hook on Oil rigs <-----> Rope sticking up in Air
Johnny_Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
SnorreSelmer

Thanks ApoNOOB, that fixed it! I had to manually remove the NS430 key as there was no reg-file for that one, but it was an easy job.

Last edited by SnorreSelmer; 10-05-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
SnorreSelmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Rico View Post
you are running this as admin ?
I NEVER run anything as admin unless it ABSOLUTELY requires it.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
BIGNEWY
Community Manager

Reputation power: 70
BIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to behold

if you upgraded your hardware without deactivating your modules you will need to delete the registry using the keys here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...pport/faq/564/

then reactivate
Old 10-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
BitMaster
Veteran

Reputation power: 17
BitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorreSelmer View Post
I NEVER run anything as admin unless it ABSOLUTELY requires it.
a bit off topic:

When you are running Windows there is hardly any way around running the whole box as an administrative user if you want all your apps and games to work. Right clicking "run as admin"
does not mean your account is not administrative. If it was, you could not choose that option or something went completely wrong, ALL THE WAY !

Even in a domain environment users often run as local administrative accounts, only their doamin wide rights are limited to "standard" users, or "power" users.

One of the biggest security issues in Microsoft OS's. They have UAC and other measures deployed with mixed success and results to secure that hole again. An epic strategic failure imho.
Asus Prime-Z270-A - Intel i7-7700K @ 5.0/1.330v adaptive LLC6 Phase_140%-Extreme - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 XMP 3600 CL16 vDimm VCCIO 1.30v VSA 1.35v - Asus 980GTX Poseidon wc @ 1500/8000 - 2 x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - 1 x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 2 x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT @ 4 x 180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Win10Pro64 - Corsair Carbide 500r Case 5x120mm 1x200mm fans
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote