Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

dburne: I see you are going to jump ship this fall and go

to HP Reverb G2.:music_whistling: kinda edging towards that camp myself. Don't think Oculus is interested in us computer teathered simmers

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to HP Reverb G2.:music_whistling: kinda edging towards that camp myself. Don't think Oculus is interested in us computer teathered simmers

I let my rift s go yesterday.

But will wait for the Beta testers have a go first see what they think :D

Edited by freehand

I'm going to wait for the early adapters too:smilewink: been an early adapter myself for many years but I didn't have very good experiences with HP with printers etc

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Yeah , there couldn't be a greater disparity in development effort between the Reverb and RiftS .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yeah the tracking bug was a strange one, did not affect everyone but certainly did some. I was one of the non affected ones.
Didn't effect me on the 18.0 software version but something is bugged with the 19.0 still.

Can't get onto the Ocolus forum either. It let me login on the forum pages, warps me to my profile (for whatever reason) after the login and when i go back to the forum from there i'm logged out again with no possibility to login again. Happens on every browser (i use).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Yep I finally gave in. I stood by my Rift S for this past year as it has been a great device, but Oculus seems to be focused mainly on Quest now and for the type of PC-VR experience I look for it seems currently HP is doing the things I wish Oculus had of done.

I will keep using my Rift S though same as always until I have the Reverb G2 in hand. I am not much concerned about it being a first, or beta, or anything like that. It is an improved Reverb over the G1 where they apparently have corrected some of the main complaints that the first device had. Nice to see they listened and reacted this fast. I do not expect any big unexpected issues with the G2 but will see.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

dburne: I am 100 percent in agreement with you on this. My Rift S is working okay for me but of course would like better clarity, bigger sweet spot, etc. Like you I will continue with my Rift until others have tested their Reverbs within the DCS World.

I have a Rift CV1 and a Rift S. The Rift S dramatically improved the visual experience and somewhat improved the comfort, but downgraded the audio. The Rift S is getting the job done most of the time. But as was said above, Oculus doesn't appear to be moving forward for PC flight sim people like us. So, for me, it is a matter of when do I get another headset? Do I wait until I build my next PC? Do I wait for another generation? Or do I go ahead and get whatever comes closest to what I hope VR will eventually become? I want higher resolution, wider FOV, AND stable high 90+ fps frame rates. I don't think you can build a PC to handle that even if the VR headset can already be built to do that. Right now, the G2 looks like the best candidate for me to upgrade from the Rift S.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

dburne: I am 100 percent in agreement with you on this. My Rift S is working okay for me but of course would like better clarity, bigger sweet spot, etc. Like you I will continue with my Rift until others have tested their Reverbs within the DCS World.

+1 I'll also be upgrading my Rift S to G2 ASAP. This video made up my mind.

Is there an option to interact with the Oculus dasboard when not using the controllers (i took the battery's out)? Just need it to get the desktop view active.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 2 weeks later...
My Rift S is working okay for me but of course would like better clarity,

It's not always the headset that is the culprit.

I'm running 2 setups, Open Beta, latest version and stable, previous version.

The reason to have both on a different version is that the clarity (or readability) of the MFD's in the previous stable version is a lot better then in the latest Open Beta (in 2D is vice versa, the MFD's are a bit more blurry in previous stable, more crisp in latest open beta. So there are things that can be done software wise. That's why i keep stable at the previous version.

It would be nice if ED could leave a bit more control over these things to us instead of constantly switching between to bright for part of the players and to dark for the others.

Sometime ago I considered the possibility of replacing my CV1 for a Rift S. In the end I decided it was not worth given the pros and cons. From time to time I try to keep myself updated and I might be considering comparing these two once again.

First of all, I love my CV1. It's built like a tank and serves me well within my budget.

From worst to bad, the cons imo are:

1- The Touch Controls vs HOTAS: You either hold the controls OR the hotas, there is absolutely no way in between and I have tried. This is my biggest gripe because Oculus Rift does only support one kind of VR gaming control and it's the Touch controls. So there just isn't any other option in market better designed specifically for hand tracking that has native support, that is, no need for more sensors, more cables and more holes on the walls. I mean, ffs, I already 3 sensors staring at me 360 degrees which could very well track generic gaming controllers that would allow for hand tracking AND are compatible with HOTAS, sort like a wristband, gloves or anything in between, anything other than a pistol/sword grip.

2- Sensors: Sensors, wall attachments, usb cable extensions, using most of my usb ports and are only good for tracking the headset and the touch controls, nothing else.

AFAIU, the Rift S doesn't require wall sensors, it self tracks using its headset cameras. But can it also track hands using its inbuilt cameras?

Cheers

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Sometime ago I considered the possibility of replacing my CV1 for a Rift S. In the end I decided it was not worth given the pros and cons. From time to time I try to keep myself updated and I might be considering comparing these two once again.

First of all, I love my CV1. It's built like a tank and serves me well within my budget.

From worst to bad, the cons imo are:

1- The Touch Controls vs HOTAS: You either hold the controls OR the hotas, there is absolutely no way in between and I have tried. This is my biggest gripe because Oculus Rift does only support one kind of VR gaming control and it's the Touch controls. So there just isn't any other option in market better designed specifically for hand tracking that has native support, that is, no need for more sensors, more cables and more holes on the walls. I mean, ffs, I already 3 sensors staring at me 360 degrees which could very well track generic gaming controllers that would allow for hand tracking AND are compatible with HOTAS, sort like a wristband, gloves or anything in between, anything other than a pistol/sword grip.

2- Sensors: Sensors, wall attachments, usb cable extensions, using most of my usb ports and are only good for tracking the headset and the touch controls, nothing else.

AFAIU, the Rift S doesn't require wall sensors, it self tracks using its headset cameras. But can it also track hands using its inbuilt cameras?

Cheers

Yes and it tracks them really quite well imho.

Might get some occlusion when controllers are moved to where they are touching headset, but that is a minor thing at least for me as I rarely need to do that in the games I play.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes and it tracks them really quite well imho.

Might get some occlusion when controllers are moved to where they are touching headset, but that is a minor thing at least for me as I rarely need to do that in the games I play.

Wait, do you mean hand tracking with the controllers, or hand tracking without controllers, bare hands?

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Wait, do you mean hand tracking with the controllers, or hand tracking without controllers, bare hands?

Yes tracking with the Rift S controllers.

Don B

Yes tracking with the Rift S controllers.

Oh ok, same as CV1; Oculus Touch controllers. What I'd like to know is whether hand tracking without the controller was already implemented. I read somewhere about plans to introduce such a feature for the Quest.

Edited by stormridersp

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Oh ok, same as CV1; Oculus Touch controllers. What I'd like to know is whether hand tracking without the controller was already implemented. I read somewhere about plans to introduce such a feature for the Quest.

Hand Tracking currently is only implemented in Quest software, not Rift. Oculus Link uses Rift software.

Don B

Hi i am running oculus rift s with a amd 8350 at 4.4ghz and an gtx1060 6gb

About 10 min in to about any bigger campaign or mission the headset goes black and it says usb disconnected or display port disconnected. Its really weird as it only seems to do it on a big mission and not a small one most times sometimes it does it on a small one but its rare.

Also my gpu is running at 90 percent and then after it goes black on the same mission its only at 40 percent use unless you restart the computer than everything works fine till it goes black again.

About 10 min in to about any bigger campaign or mission the headset goes black and it says usb disconnected or display port disconnected. Its really weird as it only seems to do it on a big mission and not a small one most times sometimes it does it on a small one but its rare.

Also my gpu is running at 90 percent and then after it goes black on the same mission its only at 40 percent use unless you restart the computer than everything works fine till it goes black again.

Check if Win10 is downloading updates behind your back.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Well windows is fully up to date and i pause windows updates every time i fly so i dont think its that it all most seems to overwork the gpu and then crash but my moniters are still on and the computer is working fine just the headset goes black and says display port discontented or sometimes usb discontented also my gpu temps stay at 135-140°f and my cpu stays at 95 to 110°f so i cant see it overheating. Thanks for everyones help

I used to get this error quite a lot. At the time I was running Windows 10 OS on the original standard hard disc drive but I installed a 500GB SSD drive and I had DCS installed and running on that, so I was using two drives. Since then I've done two things. I've upgraded my graphics card and I've installed a 1TB SSD drive and migrated both my Windows 10 OS and DCS onto the one 1TB SSD, so they're both running off the same drive. I no longer get that crashing. Whether it's the new graphics card, the fact that everything is now on the same SSD, a combination of both, or just a coincidence, I couldn't tell you. But maybe the information is useful. I hope you fix the problem, it's definitely a frustrating one.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

From PSVR to Oculus Rift S

Hi everyone,

I am about to buy an Oculus Rift S. Please help me listing the basic steps to make it work with DCS world (Open Beta, NON Steam Version).

Currently I have the Sony PSVR and I do the following:

- Connect all PSVR cables, etc

- Enable VR in DCS World Settings (Open Beta, Non Steam Version) and exit DCS

- Start iVRy Driver for SteamVR (This launches Steam VR and Steam)

- Start DCS World

What would be the corresponding steps to be able to use the Oculus Rift S with DCS-World-OpenBeta ?

Thank you very much!

Well windows is fully up to date and i pause windows updates every time i fly so i dont think its that it all most seems to overwork the gpu and then crash but my moniters are still on and the computer is working fine just the headset goes black and says display port discontented or sometimes usb discontented also my gpu temps stay at 135-140°f and my cpu stays at 95 to 110°f so i cant see it overheating. Thanks for everyones help

Pausing update doesn't work, you need to disable the whole thing and prevent it to download, it will always download even if paused.

Retake control of your O.P or it will control you and your gaming.

How to Set an Ethernet Connection as Metered in Windows 8 and 10

https://www.howtogeek.com/262477/how-to-set-an-ethernet-connection-as-metered-in-windows-8-and-10/

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.