JSOW coordinates keep getting overwritten in PP mode

killerquagmire

So I've been trying to follow Wagg's tutorial on hitting 4 different targets with JSOW missiles using PP mode but it seems no matter what I do, the missiles only track to two targets.

I tried running them all under one mission (PP1) and stepped after entering each coordinate as instructed by Waggs and no joy.

I also tried assigning two coordinates to PP1 and the other two coordinates to PP2 and was met with the same outcome- missiles simply split between two targets.

So what am i doing wrong here??

Are those 4 JSOW on 4 stations or 4 JSOWs on 2 stations using the dual adapter? I believe in the latter case the JSOWs cannot be individually addressed, only their parent station, making a four-release-four-target mission impossible.

For example if 4 JSOW were on stations 2A, 2B, 8A, 8B then at maximum a target for station 2A and another target for station 8A. The solution would be to prepare and launch two different PP missions, PP1 with targets for 2A, 8A and then switch to PP2 and launch the remaining JSOWs 2B, 8B.

Edited by Frederf

Are those 4 JSOW on 4 stations or 4 JSOWs on 2 stations using the dual adapter? I believe in the latter case the JSOWs cannot be individually addressed, only their parent station, making a four-release-four-target mission impossible.

For example if 4 JSOW were on stations 2A, 2B, 8A, 8B then at maximum a target for station 2A and another target for station 8A. The solution would be to prepare and launch two different PP missions, PP1 with targets for 2A, 8A and then switch to PP2 and launch the remaining JSOWs 2B, 8B.

Yes, I'm using 4 JSOWS on 2 stations. I tried assigning them to PP1 & PP2 but met the same result. How do I assign them properly using the step process? I noticed that I can assign the first two coordinates to PP1 by stepping but when I switch to PP2 and attempt to do the same for the next two, it switches me back to PP1 when I step to the 4th coordinate.

Also, once I get the coordinates all in there correctly, do I simply hit the weapon release 4 times or do i need to manually switch between PP1 & PP2?

I found this tutorial by Chazflyz extremely helpful regarding deploying multiple JDAM or JSOW's onto multiple targets in 1 pass (note, not using PP but TOO mode with TGP):

Intel i9 10850k | Noctua NH-U12A | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | Patriot Viper Steel 64gb @3600MT/s | ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | HP Reverb G2

I found this tutorial by Chazflyz extremely helpful regarding deploying multiple JDAM or JSOW's onto multiple targets in 1 pass (note, not using PP but TOO mode with TGP):

This doesn't work now since the TGP was updated. Any movement on the TGP automatically updates the target location in TOO mode, whether you have designated or not.

Not sure if it's a bug the constant updating or the location, as currently it's impossible (that I can tell) to use TOO 2 as TOO1 is updated even if not selected.

This doesn't work now since the TGP was updated. Any movement on the TGP automatically updates the target location in TOO mode, whether you have designated or not.

Not sure if it's a bug the constant updating or the location, as currently it's impossible (that I can tell) to use TOO 2 as TOO1 is updated even if not selected.

A TOO not selected its not updated BUT at the moment you select it will be updated with current TGP coordinates.

You still can deploy multiple JDAM/JSOW in a single pass like before its just the how to has change a bit

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

I maybe didn't explain myself properly. Last night with TOO1 selected I used the TGP to designate a target. Changed to TOO2 and designated a second target. Upon selecting TOO1 again to confirm the location of the target noticed the lat/long was the same as TOO2 which it shouldn't have been.

I repeated the process numerous times, with and without undesignating each time before changing TOO profile. I also had two others on our server confirm my findings and none of us were able to get it to store separate TOO location data. Each time the other profile was over written by the TGP.

I am led to believe that its therefore a bug. PP coordinates work fine still with different PP profiles. Just not TOO and TGP designation.

I maybe didn't explain myself properly. Last night with TOO1 selected I used the TGP to designate a target. Changed to TOO2 and designated a second target. Upon selecting TOO1 again to confirm the location of the target noticed the lat/long was the same as TOO2 which it shouldn't have been.

I repeated the process numerous times, with and without undesignating each time before changing TOO profile. I also had two others on our server confirm my findings and none of us were able to get it to store separate TOO location data. Each time the other profile was over written by the TGP.

I am led to believe that its therefore a bug. PP coordinates work fine still with different PP profiles. Just not TOO and TGP designation.

Just tried, 4 x JSOW on single pass over different targets and works ok, cant reproduce that bug you say

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

I'm not an expert on the topic, just flying every now and then so big chance I'm wrong or not doing things correctly at all, but in my case ever since the JDAM/JSOW are available for the F/A-18 I have to undesignate if I want to check previously set coordinates in TOO mode. If not undesignating, the coordinates are overwritten. Took me a while to figure that one out in the beginning, had like 8 JSOW's flying to the some target all the time. Cursed the system multiple times, but proved being a user error :D

Yes, TGP functionality/behaviour changes every update, but the procedure as shown in the video I linked still works for me so far.

Intel i9 10850k | Noctua NH-U12A | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | Patriot Viper Steel 64gb @3600MT/s | ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | HP Reverb G2

I still want to know how to do it in PP mode though so i don't have to carry the targeting pod. I'm using the adapter to attach two missiles on a single station on each wing. I know I need to incorporate pp2 in there somehow but as I said, it switches back to pp1 when I try to step to add the fourth coordinate to pp2. Of course I switch it back to pp2 to add that last set of coordinates but once again, when I hit the weapon release, all 4 missiles split to two targets.

Can someone walk me through the sequence to have the missiles track to four different targets?

I appreciate the help guys. It's not an easy thing to load up 4 coordinates in the UFC over and over to figure this out through trial and error lol.

I still want to know how to do it in PP mode though so i don't have to carry the targeting pod. I'm using the adapter to attach two missiles on a single station on each wing. I know I need to incorporate pp2 in there somehow but as I said, it switches back to pp1 when I try to step to add the fourth coordinate to pp2. Of course I switch it back to pp2 to add that last set of coordinates but once again, when I hit the weapon release, all 4 missiles split to two targets.

Can someone walk me through the sequence to have the missiles track to four different targets?

I appreciate the help guys. It's not an easy thing to load up 4 coordinates in the UFC over and over to figure this out through trial and error lol.

Prior to launch the second bomb of every station you select PP2?

I looked and one thing that may be confusing is that each station remembers its PP/TOO and TOO1/TOO2 preference independently. Another issue is if a target is designated and a weapon selection change is made, the current target will overwrite the stored target data. It is necessary to undesignate before changing to a prepared weapon or that weapon's target data will be overwritten. For demonstration I launched four JSOW at waypoints 1, 2, 3, 4 respectively. Procedure from air start is below:

A/G

STORES>JSC

MODE PP>MODE TOO

STEP

MODE PP>MODE TOO

Both stations have been prepared as TOO mission

JSOW DISPLY

MSN

WYPT 1 select

WPDSG

Undesignate (optional)

STEP

WYPT 2 select

WPDSG

Undesignate

Waypoint 1 has been assigned to STA3/TOO1 and 2 assigned to STA7/TOO1

STEP

TOO2

Waypoint 3 select

WPDSG

Undesignate

STEP

TOO2

Waypoint 4 select

WPDSG

Undesignate

Waypoint 3 has been assigned to STA3/TOO2 and 4 assigned to STA7/TOO2

TOO1

STEP

TOO1

Stations 7 and 3 have been changed back to TOO1 in preparation for launch. It is possible to verify coordinates for all four missions by stepping between stations and alternating TOO1/TOO2 selection.

With STA3/TOO1 selected prepare for launch

Weapons release

Weapons release

STEP (optional)

TOO2

Weapons release

TOO2

Weapons release

One major issue is that WPDSG being on will continuously overwrite TOO target location to currently selected weapon. AG radar, TGP, etc. having a track count as having a designated target. So in order to deliver JSOW to a prepared location it's imperative that there be no active designated target (i.e. undesignate on the stick has been pressed).

Four JSOW targeted by the TGP should be possible but it is important never to select a previously prepared weapon while a target designation is active or the prepared location will be overwritten. If the station/TOO combination is selected in a "horseshoe" shape, i.e. STA3/TOO1, STA3/TOO2, STA7/TOO1, STA7/TOO2 then it is possible that the designation will only overwrite newly selected combinations which is no concern. It is still necessary to remove target designation prior to launch though.

Yeah I did a TGP/4jSOW mission and it works like I thought. It's important to undesignate the TGP before launch time or you'll just put four JSOW against your TGP LOS!

Ok, so it looks like the PP feature for JDAMS is broken. I have researched several guides and youtube tutorials and followed them step by step and no matter what, my 4 JDAMS only track to two targets regardless of how I input them into the UFC. Hopefully they get a fix for this soon. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has had any recent success with this.

Ok, so it looks like the PP feature for JDAMS is broken. I have researched several guides and youtube tutorials and followed them step by step and no matter what, my 4 JDAMS only track to two targets regardless of how I input them into the UFC. Hopefully they get a fix for this soon. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has had any recent success with this.

Works for me. Ensure that if you desire a one-pickle-four-JDAM-four-target release that you carry the weapons on four separate stations. If the JDAMs are carried on dual adapters then the number of simultaneous targets that can be engaged by a single weapon release button press is limited by the number of stations. If two stations of double rack JDAMs are carried then it will be necessary to make a PP1 and PP2 mission and perform two separate releases.

Works for me. Ensure that if you desire a one-pickle-four-JDAM-four-target release that you carry the weapons on four separate stations. If the JDAMs are carried on dual adapters then the number of simultaneous targets that can be engaged by a single weapon release button press is limited by the number of stations. If two stations of double rack JDAMs are carried then it will be necessary to make a PP1 and PP2 mission and perform two separate releases.

Got it. This worked for me. Many thanks my friend!