Can no longer trim down after brakes, slow speed - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
Pikey
Veteran

Default Can no longer trim down after brakes, slow speed

I read the other post on trim, but I tried everything. When I touch and go, the plane wants to lurch up as if trimmed all the way back, but I can't get the trim to move and have to fly stick planted forwards. The trim indicator shows it is down. I have checked the released air brakes (I use WH brake button 7,8 as per A-10C) the button is in neutral.

Any ideas?
Old 12-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
Vibora
ED Testers Team

If you enter the mission and you see that your trim indicator moves fully into one direction (up or down) without you doing anything, that means you have some button in your HOTAS set to speedbrake UP or speedbrake DOWN and that button is placed in one of those positions. You must review your inputs configuration.

Vibora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
Pikey
Veteran

It doesn't do that.
It trims perfectly until I land or get into slow speed, I don't have the exact reproduction. But after this occurs you can no longer trim forward again.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
Vibora
ED Testers Team

There is no bug with trim that I know.
You can send me a very short trk and I'll check it, but I'm almost sure it's something on your side.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #5
Vibora
ED Testers Team

There is no bug with trim that I know.
You can send me a very short trk and I'll check it, but I'm almost sure it's something on your side.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
McRuffen

If you keep the speedbrake button in the retract position, it trims down. If you keep the speedbrake button in the extend position, it trims up. If speedbrake is neutral, trim is not changed.

So extending speedbrake and keeping the button depressed after the brake is extended (on the Warthog HOTAS this button is not spring centered), it keeps trimming up, and the trim button on the joystick is not able to counter it unless you neutralize the speedbrake button.

A bug?
McRuffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:05 PM   #7
Vibora
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuffen View Post
If you keep the speedbrake button in the retract position, it trims down. If you keep the speedbrake button in the extend position, it trims up. If speedbrake is neutral, trim is not changed.

So extending speedbrake and keeping the button depressed after the brake is extended (on the Warthog HOTAS this button is not spring centered), it keeps trimming up, and the trim button on the joystick is not able to counter it unless you neutralize the speedbrake button.

A bug?
It's not a bug. It's a feature.
Try to use spring loaded buttons for that, or do not forget to set it to neutral again after retraction (extension).
On the Warthog, the speed brake button is only spring-loaded for extension, so be careful with that, or use spring-loaded buttons like hats, for instance.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:03 AM   #8
McRuffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibora View Post
Try to use spring loaded buttons for that, or do not forget to set it to neutral again after retraction (extension).
On the Warthog, the speed brake button is only spring-loaded for extension, so be careful with that, or use spring-loaded buttons like hats, for instance.

Thanks. So, is the real aircraft made so that if you hold the speedbrake deploy button (even if the speedbrake has reached full deployment), the aircraft trims up and up until you release the speedbrake button?

Last edited by McRuffen; 01-11-2019 at 01:35 AM.
McRuffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #9
Vibora
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuffen View Post
Thanks. So, is the real aircraft made so that if you hold the speedbrake deploy button (even if the speedbrake has reached full deployment), the aircraft trims up and up until you release the speedbrake button?
Yes.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #10
kontiuka
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibora View Post
I see that the old brake toggle assignment is still available so that is another option if you just want to press a button to toggle the brake on and off. I like the more realistic way, though.
kontiuka is offline   Reply With Quote