Help to identify Tornado version/nationality.

bmbpdk

As title says.

Photography taken 29. October 2019 over my area in Denmark, ie. mid-western Jutland.

Tornado´s visit us here a few times a year, and sometimes im lucky enough to have my camera around.

_BMB5114.thumb.jpg.2789a85bb2e5a4ddad7b0eabc3d83a79.jpg

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

I think the ECM pod, lack of guns and chin pod under the nose makes it a German ECR, but I'm not 100% confident in that guess.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Im also leaning towards the ECR version myself, primarily because of the lack of guns.

I dont know the Tornado that well, so its just a guesstimate from me.

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

Just with this picture it gets very hard. All Tornado Users have black noses, ECM podas, fuel tanks and so on. So this can be every version. If spotted in denmark, the possibility for UK or German ones is higher than others.

I dont know if Italy or Spain still uses them. UK stopped the use of Tornado in 2018 or 2019. So the only nation that has it in use might be Germany. So it might be a german one...

DCS F-16C Blk. 40/42 :helpsmilie:

Candidate - 480th VFS - Cupra | 06

According to Panavia, https://www.panavia.de/operations/squadrons/germany/, the Luftwaffe moved its trainingcenter to Schleswig, wich is just south of the Danish/German border, roughly 150NM south of where the photo was taken, so its very plauseable that its Luftwaffe birds.

And as far as i can read, they, Taktische Luftwaffengeschwader 51 „Immelmann“ (TaktLwG 51„I“), uses ECR and IDS Tornados.

On a sidenote: I really missed research and investigation like this, everything is to easy now a days, so when you actually have to do some digging and brainwork, its kind of satisfying.

Just with this picture it gets very hard. All Tornado Users have black noses, ECM podas, fuel tanks and so on. So this can be every version. If spotted in denmark, the possibility for UK or German ones is higher than others.

I dont know if Italy or Spain still uses them. UK stopped the use of Tornado in 2018 or 2019. So the only nation that has it in use might be Germany. So it might be a german one...

This is really not correct. GR4s were retired in April 2019, but they have two very visible chin pods for a FLIR and laser spot tracker, so the UK is out of the question. Saudi Tornadoes also have a very visible FLIR pod like the GR4, so those are out too. These jets have had either one or both guns removed as well. Spain never flew the Tornado.

That leaves Italy and Germany (both of which intend to fly it until the late 2020s or even early 2030s). Beyond the geographic location (which really helps to be honest :P), the ECM pod on this jet's left wing is something I have only seen on German jets, Italian ones tend to carry two countermeasure dispensers like the one on the right wing (although I might be wrong there). And as mentioned, the only German and Italian jets that don't have guns are the ECRs, which also happen to have a smaller pod under the nose for EW gear.

Help to identify Tornado version/nationality.

As title says.

Photography taken 29. October 2019 over my area in Denmark, ie. mid-western Jutland.

Tornado´s visit us here a few times a year, and sometimes im lucky enough to have my camera around.

My bet is a German one..Uk retired it...and I never saw an Italian one with that pod (the one under the left wing)

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I dont know if Italy or Spain still uses them.

Spain never flew Tornados. Italy still does.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thank you all for helping me out on this one.

It is much appreciated.

Thanks.